Old 12-07-2010, 03:05 PM
Larry Shields

Default Adding a Slave drive need help on uuid setup

I have replaced and installed a new slave drive that I have, now
I would like to know how to make it show up when booting up, so as
to be able select it when I boot up...

Where must the uuid be changed, and what else do I need to do, any
help would be appreciated...

Thanks Larry

--

Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux check
by Ubuntu ver 10.4 Ultimate Edition 2.7

Reg# Linux User 484593

"This is Linux Country,
on a quiet night you can hear
WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Colin Law

On 7 December 2010 16:05, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> I have replaced and installed a new slave drive that I have, now I would
> like to know how to make it show up when booting up, so as to be able select
> it when I boot up...

What do you mean by being able to select it when you boot up. Is
there an operating system on it?

Do you currently boot off the master drive? What OS is on that?

Does it now boot at all?

Colin

Old 12-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Larry Shields

I have replaced and installed a new slave drive that I have, now I would
like to know how to make it show up when booting up, so as to be able select
it when I boot up...

What do you mean by being able to select it when you boot up. Is
there an operating system on it?

Do you currently boot off the master drive? What OS is on that?

Does it now boot at all?

Colin

Where must the uuid be changed, and what else do I need to do, any help
would be appreciated...

Hi Colin,

What I mean is when my system boots up, it shows me all of my
drives, which gives me the option to choose which one to bootup,
may it be WINDOZE drive or my Linux drive...

Yes I currently boot off of my master drive and it is Ubuntu
10.4...

Like I said it shows up in the bios, telling me that the drive is
there, but I want it too show up in the menu.lst I think that is
what comes up when booting...I would have to do a reboot to make
sure if that is what it is called...

Now I did have a smaller hard drive which had windows xp on it, so
when I booted up, I have the choice to either start XP or Linux,
now I want it to be able too do the samething as it did
before...But now since I have replaced that drive, I am sure that
the uuid needs to be changed and what ever else that needs to be
done for it to show up when I boot...

Hope that I have not confused you Colin...

Thanks for the reply...

Larry

Old 12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Larry Shields

I have replaced and installed a new slave drive that I have, now I would
like to know how to make it show up when booting up, so as to be able select
it when I boot up...

What do you mean by being able to select it when you boot up. Is
there an operating system on it?

Do you currently boot off the master drive? What OS is on that?

Does it now boot at all?

Colin

Where must the uuid be changed, and what else do I need to do, any help
would be appreciated...

Colin - - I just rebooted and what needs to be changed is GRUB,
for it shows WIN XP, but it is the wrong drive now since I have
changed it out...

Sorry, hope that this helps...

Larry

Old 12-07-2010, 04:12 PM
Colin Law

On 7 December 2010 17:06, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 10:43 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>
> On 7 December 2010 16:35, Larry Shields <larryesu@charter.net> wrote:
>
> What I mean is when my system boots up, it shows me all of my drives, which
> gives me the option to choose which one to bootup, may it be WINDOZE drive
> or my Linux drive...
>
> Yes I currently boot off of my master drive and it is Ubuntu 10.4...
>
> Like I said it shows up in the bios, telling me that the drive is there, but
> I want it too show up in the menu.lst I think that is what comes up when
> booting...I would have to do a reboot to make sure if that is what it is
> called...
>
> If, in a terminal, you type
> sudo update-grub
> it will scan the discs and find the operating systems on your discs
> and make them available on booting. However the new disk will only
> appear as a boot option if there is an operating system on it. You
> did not reply to that question I asked previously.
>
> Now I did have a smaller hard drive which had windows xp on it, so when I
> booted up, I have the choice to either start XP or Linux, now I want it to
> be able too do the samething as it did before...But now since I have
> replaced that drive, I am sure that the uuid needs to be changed and what
> ever else that needs to be done for it to show up when I boot...
>
> Have you installed XP on the new disc?
>
> Colin
>
> Sorry, but I thought I mentioned that I do have WIN XP on that slave
> drive...
> And all that I now need too do is use update grub...???

sudo update-grub should do it.

Colin