Old 02-03-2008, 06:09 PM
"Knute Johnson"

Default Root password

Thanks for all the help. It appears that there are more problems
than just the messed up sudoers file now. I think I'll stick to
running it from a hard drive.

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
"cliff weisgerber"

The documentation for kubuntu says that there is no root
password by default.* Not true and I cannot get root access to install some
apps.* Does anyone know what the root password is set to in the install media
for kubuntu.* Thanks.

*

Cliff "...and now...a Scotsman on a
horse..."

*

Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM

you need to set the root password first
*
One of the way is to login to the machine in single user mode and change the root password.

*
The documentation for kubuntu says that there is no root password by default.* Not true and I cannot get root access to install some apps.* Does anyone know what the root password is set to in the install media for kubuntu.* Thanks.

*

Cliff "...and now...a Scotsman on a horse..."

*

Vineeth Saraschandran
Embedded software Developer

Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
"Jared Greenwald"

What kind of app is this?

To get to a root shell you can sudo -s and then run passwd from there.

Old 06-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Nils Kassube

cliff weisgerber wrote:
> The documentation for kubuntu says that there is no root password by
> default. Not true and I cannot get root access to install some apps.
> Does anyone know what the root password is set to in the install media
> for kubuntu. Thanks.

If you want to run a single command as root, use "sudo command". If you
need a root shell, use "sudo -i". BTW: There really is no password for
root, but the root account is locked, so you can't login as root. Here is
some background info: <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo>

Nils

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Pastor JW

On Friday 27 June 2008 02:17:50 pm cliff weisgerber wrote:
> The documentation for kubuntu says that there is no root password by
> default. Not true and I cannot get root access to install some apps. Does
> anyone know what the root password is set to in the install media for
> kubuntu. Thanks.

The docs were correct. And it IS very frustrating for someone coming from a
different distro. Actually seems like a catch 22! However, you are lucky
that you are using Kubuntu as it has Konsole! To get a root console in it
just hit the session menu and go down to "New Root Shell" and it will bring
one up asking for your password. It is whatever password you set for your
user and then you can run your installs as a root user! It is cumbersome but
it does work after you get used to it a little bit. My first three days were
absolute agony, and I about dumped Kubuntu in favor of Mandriva. I am glad
now that I didn't! My problem was I needed to edit a config file which of
course wouldn't edit as I didn't have permissions to do so. I finally
figured out I could run kate from a root shell and voila ...I could edit the
file! And BTW if you want to do something in a regular shell, it is
sudo, not su.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 06-28-2008, 12:48 AM
cliff weisgerber

Thanks my bro. I'm an old school (Bell Labs/Berkeley) unix hack from the'70s and started doing linux stuff in the late '90s (Y2K scam...I mean scare . Some of these linux distros are kinda wierd but after figuring the gotchas out, I do like them all.

Btw, I'm trying to look at linuxMCE so I need kubuntu and I'm a kubuntu virgin.
mobile cliffy

Old 06-28-2008, 04:03 AM
"John DeCarlo"