Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Tom Browder

Default Login failure after latest update for: 10.04.1 LTS (64-bit; nvidia)

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 17:00, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> After an upgrade today I get the good GUI login screen, login, screen
> goes black, flashes a little, NVIDIA logo shows, system thinks a
> while, then I get kicked back to the login screen.

I got a little farther--changed to kdm from gdm and am able to get
limited graphics by using the failsafe login.

Still haven't found the graphics related item that changed.

This is a laptop with results of "lspci | grep -i vga":

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS
160M] (rev a1)

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida
USA

Old 12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Tom Browder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 07:46, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 06:32 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 17:00, Tom Browder<tom.browder@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>

>>> After an upgrade today I get the good GUI login screen, login, screen
>>> goes black, flashes a little, NVIDIA logo shows, system thinks a
>>> while, then I get kicked back to the login screen.
>>>

>> I got a little farther--changed to kdm from gdm and am able to get
>> limited graphics by using the failsafe login.
>>
>> Still haven't found the graphics related item that changed.
>>
>> This is a laptop with results of "lspci | grep -i vga":
>>
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS
>> 160M] (rev a1)
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -Tom
>>
>> Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
>> Niceville, Florida
>> USA
>>

> * * * *Do you have the latest nVidia drivers installed? There are a way to
> get the driver using apt-get but I do not have this off the top of my head.

That's what I'm trying to find out, Karl--nvidia has always been a
pain for me. Having some luck googling around.

Thanks.

-Tom

Old 12-07-2010, 06:12 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2010 05:32 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 17:00, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After an upgrade today I get the good GUI login screen, login, screen
>> goes black, flashes a little, NVIDIA logo shows, system thinks a
>> while, then I get kicked back to the login screen.
>
> I got a little farther--changed to kdm from gdm and am able to get
> limited graphics by using the failsafe login.
>
> Still haven't found the graphics related item that changed.
>
> This is a laptop with results of "lspci | grep -i vga":
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS
> 160M] (rev a1)

According to this:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html
Quadro NVS Notebook series:
NVS 150M, NVS 130M, NVS 135M, NVS 510M, NVS 140M, NVS 320M, NVS 160M,
NVS 110M, NVS 120M
that would use the 260 driver. With limited graphics, can you check:
System|Administration|Hardware Drivers to see if there is a suggested
nvidia driver & if it is showing as active?

260 is available for Maverick:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nvidia-graphics-drivers
but only 195 for Lucid.

Have a look through the bug section to see if you can find a related bug
(use the search box to narrow down). If not, you can either file a new
bug, or try the 260 driver to see if that fixes it - if it does file a
new bug report.

Note: only try the 260 if you can't resolve it any other way & feel
comfortable doing so & are capable of troubleshooting aferwards. I also
recommend that you download the 195 drivers as well - just to keep for
'in case'. To try the 260 driver:

Click on the 260.19.06-0ubuntu1 under "The Maverick Meerkat". That will
open the publishing details. Download:
nvidia-185-modaliases_260.19.06-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (4.4 KiB)
nvidia-current_260.19.06-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (43.8 MiB)
and install in that order.

Added note: I use the 10.10 nvidia-96 drivers on my lucid systems. I've
no cards that use the 195 or 260 drivers, so I can't help you
troubleshoot one-for-one.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:34 PM
Tom Browder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:12, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 05:32 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 17:00, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> After an upgrade today I get the good GUI login screen, login, screen
>>> goes black, flashes a little, NVIDIA logo shows, system thinks a
>>> while, then I get kicked back to the login screen.
> According to this:
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-ia32-260.19.21-driver.html
> Quadro NVS Notebook series:
> NVS 150M, NVS 130M, NVS 135M, NVS 510M, NVS 140M, NVS 320M, NVS 160M,
> NVS 110M, NVS 120M
> that would use the 260 driver. With limited graphics, can you check:

I've installed that driver manually and now plymouthd is hanging
(always something new!!!). That problem is apparently known and I'm
hoping suggested fixesit will cure that.

> System|Administration|Hardware Drivers to see if there is a suggested
> nvidia driver & if it is showing as active?

I haven't been able to see a desktop since the problem stared
yesterday. Luckily I have another Linux box from which to ssh from
and fiddle around..

> Have a look through the bug section to see if you can find a related bug
> (use the search box to narrow down). If not, you can either file a new
> bug, or try the 260 driver to see if that fixes it - if it does file a
> new bug report.

I'll visit after I finish this try.

> Note: only try the 260 if you can't resolve it any other way & feel
> comfortable doing so & are capable of troubleshooting aferwards. I also

Been there done that (I've suffered Nvidia remorse for years--mixed
pain and pleasure).

Thanks for the hints, NoOp.

Best,

-Tom

Old 12-07-2010, 06:39 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 07:50 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 07:46, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I got a little farther--changed to kdm from gdm and am able to get
> >> limited graphics by using the failsafe login.
> >>
> >> Still haven't found the graphics related item that changed.
> >>
> >> This is a laptop with results of "lspci | grep -i vga":
> >>
> >> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G98M [Quadro NVS
> >> 160M] (rev a1)
> >>
> >> Any suggestions?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >>
> >> -Tom
> >>
> >> Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
> >> Niceville, Florida
> >> USA
> >>

> > Do you have the latest nVidia drivers installed? There are a way to
> > get the driver using apt-get but I do not have this off the top of my head.
>
> That's what I'm trying to find out, Karl--nvidia has always been a
> pain for me. Having some luck googling around.

Strange, in all of my years of using Linux and nVidia, I have yet to
experience any major problems as long as I stick to the "official"
methods of installing the drivers. With Fedora, you have to get the .run
file and compile your own. The repo drivers failed me more than once.
So, I stuck to using the .run file. With Ubuntu, the hardware driver app
works. Recently though I had to run the NVIDIA X-server settings program
and re-write the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. I guess it wasn't happening
auto-magically. That's my 4 cents and my experience. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Tom Browder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:39, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> Strange, in all of my years of using Linux and nVidia, I have yet to
> experience any major problems as long as I stick to the "official"
> methods of installing the drivers. With Fedora...
> With Ubuntu, the hardware driver app
> works....[but...]

Yep, I've always been able to use the Nvidia on Fedora (and RedHat
before). But since coming to Ubuntu life has been much sweeter--until
yesterday--I wish I knew exactly what happened, but I suspect a
lingering messed up upgrade has finally bitten me. I'll probably have
to do a clean install before it's over.

Any votes for 10.04 LTS versus 10.10?

Regards,

-Tom

Old 12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Ric Moore

On Tue, 2010-12-07 at 13:45 -0600, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:39, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Strange, in all of my years of using Linux and nVidia, I have yet to
> > experience any major problems as long as I stick to the "official"
> > methods of installing the drivers. With Fedora...
> > With Ubuntu, the hardware driver app
> > works....[but...]
>
> Yep, I've always been able to use the Nvidia on Fedora (and RedHat
> before). But since coming to Ubuntu life has been much sweeter--until
> yesterday--I wish I knew exactly what happened, but I suspect a
> lingering messed up upgrade has finally bitten me. I'll probably have
> to do a clean install before it's over.
>
> Any votes for 10.04 LTS versus 10.10?

Oh hell yes. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-08-2010, 11:24 AM
Tom Browder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 13:45, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> yesterday--I wish I knew exactly what happened, but I suspect a
> lingering messed up upgrade has finally bitten me. *I'll probably have
> to do a clean install before it's over.
>
> Any votes for 10.04 LTS versus 10.10?

Well, I seem to have cured my problem with brute force. I upgraded to
10.10 via the alternative CD path and a CLI command for the upgrade
instead of a fresh install. I manually reinstalled reinstalled the
nVidia driver, rebooted, and was able to login graphically and see my
terminal windows right where I left them Sunday afternoon.

I never could figure out what caused the problem in the first place.

IMHO, Ubuntu is still the number one distro for the laptop (with
Debian for the server). Ubuntu on, y'all!

Regards,

-Tom