Old 12-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Dave Howorth

Default firefox broken

Firefox isn't working well on my 10.04 box. It used to, but today it
isn't. I think there was a recent upgrade and synaptic says I have:

3.6.12+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 (lucid-updates)

I have two problems:

(1) I normally run it remotely (because lucid is not my desktop machine)
and it's currently unusable. When I start it, nothing happens for a
while then I get a dialog box saying that an error occurred whilst
which it's not going to resolve - it's made assumptions about its
environment that just aren't true).

Then nothing happens for a while and the firefox window opens. My start
up page is a local file with some links; that's OK. If I click on one of
the links (e.g. BBC news) nothing happens for a while and then a page
element comes in then (you guessed it) nothing happens for a while and
... you get the picture. Eventually I kill the process

(2) If I run it locally on that machine's screen, it comes up normally
and works at its usual speed. The only problem is that the menu is
white-on-white! Other applications have white-on-black menus (which I
hate but I haven't bothered trying to change any bling options).

Does anybody have any idea of what's changed recently with firefox?
Especially what's broken its networking capability?

Thanks, Dave

Old 12-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Colin Law

On 7 December 2010 11:49, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Firefox isn't working well on my 10.04 box. It used to, but today it
> isn't. I think there was a recent upgrade and synaptic says I have:
>
> 3.6.12+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 (lucid-updates)
>

> I have two problems:
>
> (1) I normally run it remotely (because lucid is not my desktop machine)
> and it's currently unusable. When I start it, nothing happens for a
> while then I get a dialog box saying that an error occurred whilst
> which it's not going to resolve - it's made assumptions about its
> environment that just aren't true).
>
> Then nothing happens for a while and the firefox window opens. My start
> up page is a local file with some links; that's OK. If I click on one of
> the links (e.g. BBC news) nothing happens for a while and then a page
> element comes in then (you guessed it) nothing happens for a while and
> ... you get the picture. Eventually I kill the process
>

> (2) If I run it locally on that machine's screen, it comes up normally
> and works at its usual speed. The only problem is that the menu is
> white-on-white! Other applications have white-on-black menus (which I
> hate but I haven't bothered trying to change any bling options).
>

> Does anybody have any idea of what's changed recently with firefox?
> Especially what's broken its networking capability?

Try running it as a different user (make a new user if you have to,
have a test user is often useful anyway). That will tell you whether
it is your user setup that is the problem or something more dramatic.
If it is ok with the other user then I think you can make a new
profile for yourself though not sure how. Google will help I expect.

Colin

Old 12-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Basil Chupin

On 07/12/2010 22:49, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Firefox isn't working well on my 10.04 box. It used to, but today it
> isn't. I think there was a recent upgrade and synaptic says I have:
>
> 3.6.12+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.1 (lucid-updates)
>

> I have two problems:

I do not have a specific answer to your problem. However I can offer
these comments.

I and my wife are running FF 3.6.12 without any problems: me on Ubuntu
10.10 and she on 10.04.1. No hassles - but we do not use use either
"remote" access such as you do.

One of the first things which comes to mind about resolving such
nuisances is to delete the CACHE in FF. It may contain some data which
causes a problem - and the next start of FF will create a new CACHE
directory.

The other thing to consider is to create a new FF profile and see if
this behaves in the same obnoxious way as the one you now have.

But someone else will probably come up with the actual answer you seek.

BC

--
Attorney: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness: Are you qualified to ask that question?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:31 PM
Dave Howorth

Colin Law wrote:
> Try running it as a different user (make a new user if you have to,
> have a test user is often useful anyway). That will tell you whether
> it is your user setup that is the problem or something more dramatic.
> If it is ok with the other user then I think you can make a new
> profile for yourself though not sure how. Google will help I expect.

Thanks for the hint to check other users. Yes, it works remotely for
another user. I don't particularly want to create another profile. I'd
like it just to carry on working as it used to!

Is it possible to roll back the updates in ubuntu, to see where the
problem started?

Cheers, Dave

Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM
Colin Law

On 7 December 2010 14:31, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> Try running it as a different user (make a new user if you have to,
>> have a test user is often useful anyway). *That will tell you whether
>> it is your user setup that is the problem or something more dramatic.
>> If it is ok with the other user then I think you can make a new
>> profile for yourself though not sure how. *Google will help I expect.
>
> Thanks for the hint to check other users. Yes, it works remotely for
> another user. I don't particularly want to create another profile. I'd
> like it just to carry on working as it used to!
>
> Is it possible to roll back the updates in ubuntu, to see where the
> problem started?

Since it is ok for another user I believe that means it is something
in your profile that has got messed up so rolling back would likely
not make any difference. Why are you worried about creating a new
profile? You can re-import your bookmarks I think.

Colin

Old 12-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Dave Howorth

Colin Law wrote:
> On 7 December 2010 14:31, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Is it possible to roll back the updates in ubuntu, to see where the
>> problem started?
>
> Since it is ok for another user I believe that means it is something
> in your profile that has got messed up so rolling back would likely
> not make any difference. Why are you worried about creating a new
> profile? You can re-import your bookmarks I think.

The profile works just fine when firefox is run from other (opensuse)
machines. It's only ubuntu that has a problem.

Cheers, Dave

Old 12-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Colin Law

On 7 December 2010 17:09, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> On 7 December 2010 14:31, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Is it possible to roll back the updates in ubuntu, to see where the
>>> problem started?
>>
>> Since it is ok for another user I believe that means it is something
>> in your profile that has got messed up so rolling back would likely
>> not make any difference. *Why are you worried about creating a new
>> profile? *You can re-import your bookmarks I think.
>
> The profile works just fine when firefox is run from other (opensuse)
> machines. It's only ubuntu that has a problem.

I am losing track of what is going on here with the various machines
and where the error is occurring. Can you summarise the state of play
in terms of what works where. Also I am now not sure what you mean by
running it remotely. Could you clarify this also.

Colin

Old 12-08-2010, 10:34 AM
Dave Howorth

Colin Law wrote:
> I am losing track of what is going on here with the various machines
> and where the error is occurring. Can you summarise the state of play
> in terms of what works where. Also I am now not sure what you mean by
> running it remotely. Could you clarify this also.

Hi Colin,

I have a desktop machine that I sit in front of and normally use its
keyboard and screen.

I have another machine running Ubuntu 10.04. When I want to run
applications on that machine, I ssh into it and execute the application.

That's what I mean by running it remotely.

There is one specific combination that causes grief, which is running
firefox on the ubuntu machine using my own userid/profile and displaying
on my desktop machine.

All other combinations appear to work normally, including running
locally on the ubuntu machine, locally on my desktop, remotely from a
third machine, as another user etc. My desktop and the third machine run
opensuse.

The ubuntu machine used to work properly in the specific combination
that now causes grief. Hence my desire to unwind the most recent update.

Cheers, Dave

Old 12-08-2010, 11:08 AM
Colin Law

On 8 December 2010 11:34, Dave Howorth <dhoworth@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> I am losing track of what is going on here with the various machines
>> and where the error is occurring. *Can you summarise the state of play
>> in terms of what works where. *Also I am now not sure what you mean by
>> running it remotely. *Could you clarify this also.
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> I have a desktop machine that I sit in front of and normally use its
> keyboard and screen.
>
> I have another machine running Ubuntu 10.04. When I want to run
> applications on that machine, I ssh into it and execute the application.

What ssh command are you using to connect?

What command are you running to start FF?

> That's what I mean by running it remotely.
>
> There is one specific combination that causes grief, which is running
> firefox on the ubuntu machine using my own userid/profile and displaying
> *on my desktop machine.
>
> All other combinations appear to work normally, including running
> locally on the ubuntu machine, locally on my desktop, remotely from a
> third machine, as another user etc. My desktop and the third machine run
> opensuse.

What happens if you run remotely from the third machine, but as
yourself as user?

Colin

Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Dave Howorth

Colin Law wrote:
> What ssh command are you using to connect?

ssh -X hostname

> What command are you running to start FF?

firefox

> What happens if you run remotely from the third machine, but as
> yourself as user?

It works normally.

Cheers, Dave