Old 12-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Glenn Holmer

Default F9 darkens screen

I have an unusual issue: lately, when I press F9, instead of whatever
that should mean in the focused window, the entire screen darkens.
Doesn't turn black, just darkens somewhat. Just did it and I can still
type into this window. I don't see anything in my keyboard shortcuts
that would cause it. Anybody else ever seen this?

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682) http://www.lyonlabs.org
"The text is only a proposition." -Pierre Boulez

Old 12-06-2010, 11:58 PM

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 19:54, Glenn Holmer <shadowm@lyonlabs.org> wrote:
> I have an unusual issue: lately, when I press F9, instead of whatever
> that should mean in the focused window, the entire screen darkens.
> Doesn't turn black, just darkens somewhat. Just did it and I can still
> type into this window. I don't see anything in my keyboard shortcuts
> that would cause it. Anybody else ever seen this?

I've not seen this at all... and just tried on my laptop, in fact, I
tried every F key, and nothing at all happened. Of course the
secondary functions all work for me (fn-F4 for sleep, fn-F5 for
wireless, etc)

Are you sure it's F9? Do you happen to have that mapped to anything?
is it only with specific applicatons?

Old 12-07-2010, 01:35 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 4:54 PM, Glenn Holmer <shadowm@lyonlabs.org> wrote:
> I have an unusual issue: lately, when I press F9, instead of whatever
> that should mean in the focused window, the entire screen darkens.
> Doesn't turn black, just darkens somewhat. Just did it and I can still
> type into this window. I don't see anything in my keyboard shortcuts
> that would cause it. Anybody else ever seen this?

Not enough detail for a good answer, but....

Do you have a function shift key on your keyboard that changes the way
the F# keys work? Is that function key in the right state when you do
this?

Does pressing F9 again, or another F# key, reverse this?

Some laptops (you didn't say) have a key that dims the screen just
like unplugging the power cord does so the screen will use less power
when in battery mode.

Most of the answers you'll get with this little detail is, "Doesn't do
that when I try it," (which, BTW, it doesn't), and we have no clue
what your computer/keyboard/monitor are, so help us help you, okay?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Jacob Mansfield

It sounds like the LCD screen's backlight is being turned off when you press it F9Jacob Mansfield
Programmer

Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
Albert Wagner

On 12/06/2010 06:54 PM, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> I have an unusual issue: lately, when I press F9, instead of whatever
> that should mean in the focused window, the entire screen darkens.
> Doesn't turn black, just darkens somewhat. Just did it and I can still
> type into this window. I don't see anything in my keyboard shortcuts
> that would cause it. Anybody else ever seen this?

On my HP G72 laptop, all of the Function keys are by default mapped to
common monitor functions, e.g. screen darken/brighten, sound
softer/louder, fast forward, fast backward, pause, start, etc. In order
to access the legacy meaning of function keys, there is an extra Fn key
(lower right on my machine)that must be depressed simultaneously with a
numbered function key. Look for such an Fn key.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:53 AM
Christian Benz

Am 07.12.2010 01:54, schrieb Glenn Holmer:
> I have an unusual issue: lately, when I press F9, instead of whatever
> that should mean in the focused window, the entire screen darkens.
> Doesn't turn black, just darkens somewhat. Just did it and I can still
> type into this window. I don't see anything in my keyboard shortcuts
> that would cause it. Anybody else ever seen this?

In my opinion it's the Widget Layer from Compiz Fusion. One can enable
something like a dashboard which you may know from Macbooks.
You can add some Widgets (screenlets) and enbale "use as widget" (or
sth. like that) in the options of the widget. For example, there are
clocks, resource monitors or the weather forecast.
I installed it on another Computer and it works well.

Christian