Old 12-06-2010, 11:43 PM
rikona

Default odd DNS problem, maybe OT

I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
radar weather info. I can connect to
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/?wfo=slc but when I try to go to
some specific map, say
http://sat.wrh.noaa.gov/satellite/showsat.php?wfo=slc&area=sw&type=ir&size=4
I get a 404 - sat.wrh.noaa.gov could not be resolved. I can't ping it
and whois says no address for it. I have two 10.04 boxes and both do
the same thing. It happens with both Opera and FF.

I wrote to the noaa webmaster, since some less-used sites are
sometimes down for a day or two, but he says they are running OK and
were/are not down.

I can go to essentially any other address/site on the net, but not to
these. I rebooted one of the UB boxes, and the router, and the problem
is still there. I did not reboot the Comcast cable modem [that's
another hassle on its own... for some reason it can take hours to get
it running again, with multiple calls to Comcast "support"].

I'd like to understand why this happens for just a couple of
addresses, and fix it - any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

rikona

Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Tom Browder

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 18:43, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
> from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
> radar weather info. I can connect to

I had a similar problem with a bad dns for google recently--it looked
like my ISP's DNS servers had been hijacked. I changed all my DNS
addresses to those of opendns.com and the problem went away.

HTH.

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida
USA

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM
rikona

Hello Tom,

Monday, December 6, 2010, 7:00:58 PM, Tom wrote:

TB> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 18:43, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>> I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
>> from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
>> radar weather info. I can connect to

TB> I had a similar problem with a bad dns for google recently--it looked
TB> like my ISP's DNS servers had been hijacked. I changed all my DNS
TB> addresses to those of opendns.com and the problem went away.

Since my last email I also connected a Win box and got the same
result. This did start to look like a Comcast problem.

Your suggestion was excellent. I have another account with Sonic, so I
switched to their DNS servers [which I used to use]. This DID let me
see those addresses, so it does seem to be a Comcast problem. I guess
that's reason #473 for why Comcast is the pits. :-)

Part of the problem on one box still remains. It is related to Privoxy
- when Privoxy is on I still can't see them, but turning it off in the
browser lets me see them. I have not yet found a way to get privoxy to
'forget' the DNS it 'learned' before, but I'll work on that.

But I can again track the local rain cells and time my dog walk to
avoid [most of] the rain. :-)

Thanks much,

rikona

Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Tom Browder

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 00:54, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
> Hello Tom,
> TB> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 18:43, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>>> I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
>>> from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
>>> radar weather info. I can connect to
> TB> like my ISP's DNS servers had been hijacked. *I changed all my DNS
> TB> addresses to those of opendns.com and the problem went away.
> Your suggestion was excellent. I have another account with Sonic, so I
> switched to their DNS servers [which I used to use]. This DID let me

I have had great success with the DNS servers from opendns.com.. One
advantage of using them is for traveling with a laptop--you don't have
to worry about the local ISP's DNS. They also have some filtering
capability that might eliminate the need for privoxy depending on your
use of it.

> Part of the problem on one box still remains. It is related to Privoxy
> - when Privoxy is on I still can't see them, but turning it off in the
> browser lets me see them. I have not yet found a way to get privoxy to
> 'forget' the DNS it 'learned' before, but I'll work on that.

A quick look at the privoxy site mentions possible DNS problems in the
FAQ. Later versions are supposed to work better. And there is
mention of one of the sub-processes doing something different with DNS
settings.

> Thanks much,

You're very welcome.

Best,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida
USA

Old 12-07-2010, 12:06 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:43:51 -0800
rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

> I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
> from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
> radar weather info.

sat.wrh.noaa.gov:
----------
! Location Changed !
Requested File Not Found

Please verify the correct URL is entered.

The page you requested either no longer exists or may not be located
where it once was.

Please note the new location is http://radar.weather.gov

Ensure you update your bookmarks.

This page will automatically redirect in 10 seconds.

If this does not work for any reason use the link below:

http://radar.weather.gov
----------

Then it re-directs.

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM
rikona

Hello Tom,

Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 3:37:23 AM, Tom wrote:

TB> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 00:54, rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:
>> TB> like my ISP's DNS servers had been hijacked. *I changed all my DNS
>> TB> addresses to those of opendns.com and the problem went away.
>> Your suggestion was excellent. I have another account with Sonic, so I
>> switched to their DNS servers [which I used to use]. This DID let me

TB> I have had great success with the DNS servers from opendns.com..
TB> One advantage of using them is for traveling with a laptop--you
TB> don't have to worry about the local ISP's DNS.

It sounds like a nice service.

TB> They also have some filtering capability that might eliminate the
TB> need for privoxy depending on your use of it.

Not quite, but I can see how it might be VERY attractive to some
families. I'll probably stick with privoxy and my 'other isp' DNS
servers. They are an excellent ISP - MUUUUCH better than Comcast, but
no high BW where I am. If you call them, they almost always answer
after a couple of rings, and will answer your quite technical
questions re Linux-related problems very competently.

>> Part of the problem on one box still remains. It is related to Privoxy
>> - when Privoxy is on I still can't see them, but turning it off in the
>> browser lets me see them. I have not yet found a way to get privoxy to
>> 'forget' the DNS it 'learned' before, but I'll work on that.

TB> A quick look at the privoxy site mentions possible DNS problems in
TB> the FAQ. Later versions are supposed to work better.

I saw that but don't see how it would cause the observed effect. I'm
using the Lucid version, which is fairly recent.

TB> And there is mention of one of the sub-processes doing something
TB> different with DNS settings.

Missed that one.

Appreciate your help...

rikona

Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM
rikona

Hello Cybe,

Tuesday, December 7, 2010, 5:06:39 AM, Cybe wrote:

CRW> On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 16:43:51 -0800
CRW> rikona <rikona@sonic.net> wrote:

>> I have an odd problem. I have lost the ability to connect to anything
>> from sat.wrh.noaa.gov or star.nesdis.noaa.gov - these give sat and
>> radar weather info.

CRW> sat.wrh.noaa.gov:
CRW> ----------
CRW> If this does not work for any reason use the link below:

CRW> http://radar.weather.gov
CRW> ----------

CRW> Then it re-directs.

True - the NWS redirects to the two domains that are the problems,
although I just keep them in bookmarks. They are in the process of
redoing their sites, but much of the actual 'data' is still in the
same places.

Seems to have been a Comcast DNS problem - switching DNS servers
immediately solved the problem, and going back to Comcast reintroduced
the problem. I can now go to all the previously 'bad' sites.

But - I still have not found a way to get privoxy to 'forget' the bad
DNS, [if that's what it's doing]. Even though it's not supposed to be
a caching proxy, it does seem to introduce DNS-like problems. Restart
does not seem to help.

Thanks for the reply,

--

rikona