Old 01-30-2008, 12:41 AM
"Ramkumar.G"

Default need suggestion

Dear sir/madam

i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement is( / /home /boot /usr )how do i give the partition size.

Thanks with Regards,
Ramkumar.G

Old 02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
"Raseel Bhagat"

Hi,

On Jan 30, 2008 7:11 AM, Ramkumar.G <ramkumar@tenet.res.in> wrote:

i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement is( / * /home * /boot * /usr *)how do i give the partition size.

I would suggest the following :
/ : 10 Gb
/boot : 100 MB (considering you do not tinker around with a LOT of kernels)

/usr : 5 Gb (considering you put all your source built binaries here
/home : Remaining (too lazy to calculate ;-)

Thanks,
Raseel
www.opensourcedeal.com

Old 02-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Gerald Dachs

Am Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:07 +0530
schrieb "Ramkumar.G" <ramkumar@tenet.res.in>:

> Dear sir/madam
>

> i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement
> is( / /home /boot /usr )how do i give the partition size.

If you have to ask, then I recommend not to do it at all and
let Ubuntu do it for you. It will put everything into one
partition.

Gerald

Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 PM
Mike Lupton

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 23:20 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> Am Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:07 +0530
> schrieb "Ramkumar.G" <ramkumar@tenet.res.in>:
>
> > Dear sir/madam
> >

> > i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement
> > is( / /home /boot /usr )how do i give the partition size.
>
> If you have to ask, then I recommend not to do it at all and
> let Ubuntu do it for you. It will put everything into one
> partition.
>
> Gerald

I think that asking is a way to learn. Sometimes googling for days on
end gets old and you would like some recommendations from those who
"know better".

Old 02-03-2008, 09:58 PM
gigli

Mike Lupton skrev:
> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 23:20 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:
>> Am Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:07 +0530
>> schrieb "Ramkumar.G" <ramkumar@tenet.res.in>:
>>
>>> Dear sir/madam
>>>

>>> i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement
>>> is( / /home /boot /usr )how do i give the partition size.
>> If you have to ask, then I recommend not to do it at all and
>> let Ubuntu do it for you. It will put everything into one
>> partition.
>>
>> Gerald
>>
> I think that asking is a way to learn. Sometimes googling for days on
> end gets old and you would like some recommendations from those who
> "know better".

I don't use Ubuntu but i should make a / partition about 10gig and the
rest for /home (thats all you need really, maybe a /boot about 100 mb),
it's great when you have to reinstall.

Martin

Old 02-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Nils Kassube

Mike Lupton wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 23:20 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> > Am Wed, 30 Jan 2008 07:11:07 +0530
> > schrieb "Ramkumar.G" <ramkumar@tenet.res.in>:
> > > i have 40 gb hdd need install Ubuntu my requirement
> > > is( / /home /boot /usr )how do i give the partition size.
> >
> > If you have to ask, then I recommend not to do it at all and
> > let Ubuntu do it for you. It will put everything into one
> > partition.
>
> I think that asking is a way to learn. Sometimes googling for days on
> end gets old and you would like some recommendations from those who
> "know better".

I suppose, Gerald meant, that it is a bit strange, if somebody wants to
use so many different partitions but doesn't have an idea what size those
partitions should have. The decision, that these many partitions are
necessary, would suggest to me, the OP is an expert already.

Nils

Old 02-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Mike Lupton

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 00:13 +0100, Nils Kassube wrote:
> Mike Lupton wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 23:20 +0100, Gerald Dachs wrote:
> > >
> > > If you have to ask, then I recommend not to do it at all and
> > > let Ubuntu do it for you. It will put everything into one
> > > partition.
> >
> > I think that asking is a way to learn. Sometimes googling for days on
> > end gets old and you would like some recommendations from those who
> > "know better".
>
> I suppose, Gerald meant, that it is a bit strange, if somebody wants to
> use so many different partitions but doesn't have an idea what size those
> partitions should have. The decision, that these many partitions are
> necessary, would suggest to me, the OP is an expert already.
>

> Nils

My reply was based on things that I have read suggesting that making
separate partitions for different parts of the file system was good, but
without those same things ever suggesting how one would go about knowing
what size to use for those partitions. I can see the logic behind what
you are saying, and that makes sense, too.