Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Donna Windom

Default Assistance installing Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS

Hello.
I wiped a 40GB HDD and then partitioned it using Gdisk so that I could
install Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS. My PC at home would not recognize the hdd.
I removed the hdd and placed it in a computer at work that has
multiple bays. Using the Ubuntu CD I downloaded, I was able to run
Ubuntu from the CD and navigate using the graphical user interface.
Then I loaded WindowsXP and installed the Ubuntu files to the 40GB
hdd. After restarting I have the option to run WindowsXP or Ubuntu. I
chose Ubuntu, but instead of getting the easy to navigate GUI, I get
the following after logging in:

username@ubuntu:~$

Is there a way to have a graphical user interface instead of the command line?

I removed the hdd with XP installed and tried to boot from the Ubuntu
hdd, but I get a non system disk error message. I'm not sure how to
troubleshoot this on my own because this is my first try at Linux and
I'm not experienced using command line.

Thank you for any help.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Chris MacDonald

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:11 PM, Donna Windom <dewdrops3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
> I wiped a 40GB HDD and then partitioned it using Gdisk so that I could
> install Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS. My PC at home would not recognize the hdd.
> I removed the hdd and placed it in a computer at work that has
> multiple bays. Using the Ubuntu CD I downloaded, I was able to run
> Ubuntu from the CD and navigate using the graphical user interface.
> Then I loaded WindowsXP and installed the Ubuntu files to the 40GB
> hdd. After restarting I have the option to run WindowsXP or Ubuntu. I
> chose Ubuntu, but instead of getting the easy to navigate GUI, I get
> the following after logging in:
>
> username@ubuntu:~$
>
> Is there a way to have a graphical user interface instead of the command line?
>
> I removed the hdd with XP installed and tried to boot from the Ubuntu
> hdd, but I get a non system disk error message. I'm not sure how to
> troubleshoot this on my own because this is my first try at Linux and
> I'm not experienced using command line.
>
> Thank you for any help.

I'd need to know a little more to know what happened for sure, but you
can try running this once you're logged in:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop

and it will ask for your password. What this is doing is calling a
package manager (apt) to install the ubuntu-desktop meta-package which
contains the nice desktop user interface you're probably used to. If
the command then lists a whoooole bunch of packages to download and
install, it's safe to say that for some reason the installation you
did prior didn't cover the UI (why, again, I'd need more info). If you
do see a bunch of installable packages, it's safe to say 'yes' to
install, wait a bit until it's done, then reboot and you should be
fine.

If, on the other hand, no packages are suggested for installation it
may be a configuration issue. Try the above, and if it doesn't work
I'm sure the list will have other suggestions.

Chris

Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Donna Windom

Thank you Chris,
I followed your suggestion, but I didn't get a whole bunch of packages
to download. The last few lines read:

ubuntu-desktop is already the newest version.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
Nils Kassube

Donna Windom wrote:
> Using the Ubuntu CD I downloaded, I was able to
> run Ubuntu from the CD and navigate using the graphical user
> interface.

> After restarting I have the option to run WindowsXP or
> Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu, but instead of getting the easy to navigate
> GUI, I get the following after logging in:
>
> username@ubuntu:~$
>
> Is there a way to have a graphical user interface instead of the
> command line?

I suppose there is a problem with your video card because usually the
GUI should start automatically. As it doesn't start, there should be
something in the log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log". Probably it would be
the easiest way to use the Ubuntu LiveCD to access that file and post it
here.

Nils

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM
Donna Windom

Thank you for your response Nils, but I don't know how to locate
"/var/log/Xorg.0.log". I'm running Ubuntu from the CD. I typed in
".log" to search the drive, but the only hit I received was for
"change.log". My video card is working when I run Ubuntu from the CD.
Please show me how to get to the log file you mentioned in your

Old 12-07-2010, 12:15 AM
Pastor JW

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 14:15, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Donna Windom wrote:
> >> Using the Ubuntu CD I downloaded, I was able to
> >> run Ubuntu from the CD and navigate using the graphical user
> >> interface.
> >>
> >> After restarting I have the option to run WindowsXP or
> >> Ubuntu. I chose Ubuntu, but instead of getting the easy to navigate
> >> GUI, I get the following after logging in:
> >>
> >> username@ubuntu:~$
> >>
> >> Is there a way to have a graphical user interface instead of the
> >> command line?
> >
> > I suppose there is a problem with your video card because usually the
> > GUI should start automatically. As it doesn't start, there should be
> > something in the log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log". Probably it would be
> > the easiest way to use the Ubuntu LiveCD to access that file and post it
> > here.

Wouldn't one type startx aqt the prompt? At least it should give the error
messages if it doesn't start.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403

Old 12-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Donna Windom

Thanks,
I typed in startx aqt. Some information came up, but I'm not sure how
to copy it out to paste it here. I don't see any obvious information
that will help me. It's showing release date, build date, current
version, etc.
Thanks again.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:50 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday, December 07, 2010 10:42:25 am Donna Windom wrote:
> Thanks,
> I typed in startx aqt. Some information came up, but I'm not sure how
> to copy it out to paste it here. I don't see any obvious information
> that will help me. It's showing release date, build date, current
> version, etc.

Actually, the command is "startx", that "aqt" was supposed to be the word "at"
but my old fingers seemed to have become too stiff to type. If it says you are
not authorized to run the X server, you would type "sudo startx" and provide
your password when asked.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Nils Kassube

Donna Windom wrote:
> Thank you for your response Nils, but I don't know how to locate
> "/var/log/Xorg.0.log". I'm running Ubuntu from the CD. I typed in
> ".log" to search the drive, but the only hit I received was for
> "change.log". My video card is working when I run Ubuntu from the CD.
> Please show me how to get to the log file you mentioned in your

Sorry, I should have explained how to find it. When you run Ubuntu from
the CD, go to the "Places" menu and select the partition where you have
installed Ubuntu, it is named something like "40 GB Filesystem" . It
should open with the file manager. Double click the "var" folder and
then the "log" folder. In that folder you should find the file
"Xorg.0.log" at the bottom of the page.

However if that's how you tried to find the file and you can't find it,
I have no idea why it wasn't written or what to check next.

Nils

Old 12-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Donna Windom

Sorry I haven't responded for a while. I've had Internet connectivity
issues, but mainly I've had a heavy work load so I probably wont be
able to work on this again until next week. Thanks for all your
troubleshooting and patience. I am determined to solve this problem
and learn to use Linux.