Old 12-06-2010, 06:53 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Default Upgrading from Lucid to Maverick: Fresh, new Install vs

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 5:55 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>
wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 03:31 AM, Alan Pope wrote:
>> On 30 November 2010 07:34, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au>
wrote:

>>> The Upgrade Manager 'suggested' to me that it would take 105 minutes
>>> download the upgrade files (at which point I went shopping after I
>>> answered "Go Ahead") and after this downloading finished it "told"
me
>>> that it would take 90 minutes to process the new files, except that
at
>>> the 45 minute mark the whole bloody sheebang stopped because the
stoopid
>>> upgrade system was waiting for me answer "Yes" to the question if I
>>> accepted the EULA re the ttf mscorefonts -- and there was NO way I
could
>>> respond to this because the EULA menu was BEHIND the Update Manager
menu
>>> and there was no way which I knew (and I tried even waiving a live
>>> chicken's leg [from one of the chicken's next door] to bring up the
>>> 'background' EULA menu to be able to answer "YES!"
>>
>> * Upgrades download more than clean installs (not exactly 'news'
given
>> many upgrades will be upgrading more packages than a base install
will
>> have, so will inevitably have more to download)
>>
>> * You unfortunately hit a bug in the upgrade process
>>
>> Now, if the purpose of your mail was to rant about the upgrade then
>> that's done,
>
> It is astonishing what people will write when they have some
> preconceived idea about another person's intentions.
>
> There have been numerous questions from people in this forum about
> whether to upgrade or to go for a clean install. Responses varied.
>
> I just went thru the exercise of doing something which I never did do
> before and so thought that it would be useful for those who will be
> asking the same questions about upgrade vs clean install, to be
> proactive and provide some info about my experience.

It was a PITA post that had no reason to be on this list except that
you felt like blogging.

If only you had kept it as short as Alan's summary above.
------------------------------

I propose we start a poll: What's the most funny?

1) Someone suffering angst in a post?

2) Someone complaining about someone suffering angst online?

3) Someone complaining about someone expressing frustration about
someone expressing angst online?

4) Someone complaining about someone complaining about someone
expressing frustration about someone expressing angst online?

5) A poll about which of the above is funniest?

I'll cast the first vote: 5!

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 14:53 -0500, Boggess Rod wrote:

> I propose we start a poll: What's the most funny?
>
> 1) Someone suffering angst in a post?
>
> 2) Someone complaining about someone suffering angst online?
>
> 3) Someone complaining about someone expressing frustration about
> someone expressing angst online?
>
> 4) Someone complaining about someone complaining about someone
> expressing frustration about someone expressing angst online?
>
> 5) A poll about which of the above is funniest?
>
> I'll cast the first vote: 5!

I'll take door #1, please. All of the truly great humor in this world
comes from pathos. Charlie Chaplin is a prime example. Now, what is the
prize behind that door? Ric

Linux user# 44256