Old 12-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Colin Law

Default Grub?

On 6 December 2010 17:16, Knute Johnson <ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
> I've got a computer with two drives, the first has Windows 7 and the
> second XU 10.10. *I have to reinstall XP for a job I'm going to be
> working on. *Could somebody give me detailed instructions on how to
> reinstall grub after I reinstall XP so I can keep my XU?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

(Easily found by google for recover grub after windows install)

Colin

Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Rashkae

On 10-12-06 12:16 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I've got a computer with two drives, the first has Windows 7 and the
> second XU 10.10. I have to reinstall XP for a job I'm going to be
> working on. Could somebody give me detailed instructions on how to
> reinstall grub after I reinstall XP so I can keep my XU?
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> knute...

Assuming that grub is installed on the hard drive with XU installed (and
that hard drive is therefore your boot drive), then disconnect the Linux
drive, install Windows, re-connect Linux drive, tell bios to make Linux
drive your boot drive. done.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Knute Johnson

On 12/6/2010 12:34 PM, Rashkae wrote:
> Assuming that grub is installed on the hard drive with XU installed (and
> that hard drive is therefore your boot drive), then disconnect the Linux
> drive, install Windows, re-connect Linux drive, tell bios to make Linux
> drive your boot drive. done.

That's the problem, it's not. The windows drive is sda and the linux is
sdb.

Thanks,

knute...

Old 12-07-2010, 03:09 AM
Knute Johnson

On 12/06/2010 09:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
> On 6 December 2010 17:16, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>> I've got a computer with two drives, the first has Windows 7 and the
>> second XU 10.10. I have to reinstall XP for a job I'm going to be
>> working on. Could somebody give me detailed instructions on how to
>> reinstall grub after I reinstall XP so I can keep my XU?
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>
> (Easily found by google for recover grub after windows install)
>
> Colin

Thanks Colin. These instructions work except for two items, first
XUbuntu does not show the unmounted drives in the Places Menu. Install
Disk Utility and they can be mounted easily. Second, update-grub2 must
be run after Grub2 is installed.

knute...

Old 12-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Knute Johnson

On 12/06/2010 08:09 PM, Knute Johnson wrote:
> On 12/06/2010 09:35 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 6 December 2010 17:16, Knute Johnson<ubuntu@knutejohnson.com> wrote:
>>> I've got a computer with two drives, the first has Windows 7 and the
>>> second XU 10.10. I have to reinstall XP for a job I'm going to be
>>> working on. Could somebody give me detailed instructions on how to
>>> reinstall grub after I reinstall XP so I can keep my XU?
>>
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows
>>
>> (Easily found by google for recover grub after windows install)
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Thanks Colin. These instructions work except for two items, first
> XUbuntu does not show the unmounted drives in the Places Menu. Install
> Disk Utility and they can be mounted easily. Second, update-grub2 must
> be run after Grub2 is installed.
>
> knute...

and you need to edit /etc/fstab so that the UUID of the first disk is
correct. Use ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid to see the UUIDs and then edit
/etc/fstab.