Old 12-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez

Default OpenGL after uninstall Nvidia driver

Hello There.

I'm a Maverick user. I was "playing" with the latest nvidia driver, downloaded directly from the company web page. Now i was uninstalling the driver, but i'm afraid i "must" do something related with the OpenGL stuff for get the system at the same state that before the nvidia installation. Maybe reinstall some "regular packages"?. The nouveau driver can't be used now when i uninstalled the "non-ubuntu" nvidia driver, while i was able to use it perfectly before that installation.

Anybody knows anything about this, please?.

Thanks very much, in advance.

Regards.

Jose.

--
http://lordofunix.eu5.org/

Not Registered GNU/Hurd User.
Registered BSD User 51101.
Registered Linux User #213309.
Memories..... You are talking about memories.
Rick Deckard. Blade Runner.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:17 +0100, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
> Hello There.
>
> I'm a Maverick user. I was "playing" with the latest nvidia driver, downloaded directly from the company web page. Now i was uninstalling the driver, but i'm afraid i "must" do something related with the OpenGL stuff for get the system at the same state that before the nvidia installation. Maybe reinstall some "regular packages"?. The nouveau driver can't be used now when i uninstalled the "non-ubuntu" nvidia driver, while i was able to use it perfectly before that installation.
>
> Anybody knows anything about this, please?.

Yes, don't use non-Ubuntu methods to install stuff. That gums up the
works. The .run file, straight from nVidia, puts its' libraries in
directories that aren't kosher to Ubuntu. You could have both installed
and wind up with two sets of libraries. Not a good plan. With Fedora I
had to utilize the .run file. Ubuntu is blessedly freer of such
nonsense. Use the Ubuntu method and sin no more. It just works. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-07-2010, 01:28 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:36 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 10:17 +0100, Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez wrote:
>> Hello There.
>>
>> I'm a Maverick user. I was "playing" with the latest nvidia driver, downloaded directly from the company web page. Now i was uninstalling the driver, but i'm afraid i "must" do something related with the OpenGL stuff for get the system at the same state that before the nvidia installation. Maybe reinstall some "regular packages"?. The nouveau driver can't be used now when i uninstalled the "non-ubuntu" nvidia driver, while i was able to use it perfectly before that installation.
>>
>> Anybody knows anything about this, please?.
>
> Yes, don't use non-Ubuntu methods to install stuff. That gums up the
> works. The .run file, straight from nVidia, puts its' libraries in
> directories that aren't kosher to Ubuntu. You could have both installed
> and wind up with two sets of libraries. Not a good plan. With Fedora I
> had to utilize the .run file. Ubuntu is blessedly freer of such
> nonsense. Use the Ubuntu method and sin no more. It just works. Ric

Oh, foo. That works fine when what's available through the usual
Ubuntu methods works, too. When I tried to use the nvidia 260.19.12
driver from Ubuntu, it killed my machine and I had to go through hours
of grieving and swearing to get just a simple boot to work after that.
The nvidia .run file worked just fine for me.

The problem is, if you want to go back to the way something was before
you made a change like this, you need to look at what changed. I
believe that if you remove the file /lib/modules/`uname
-r`/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko, that should do the trick. (I have
not tested this, it is an observation from noting that this was the
only kernel driver that changed at the time when I installed the
nvidia driver.)

I'm fairly certain that you don't need to remove all of the nvidia
video driver files, but any time you play with kernel drivers outside
the "normal" methods, this is a risk, just as it was to install the
nvidia driver in the first place.

YMMV, and that variance can be a real PITA.