Old 02-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Sean Carolan

Default Install Ubuntu on existing RAID1 LVM partition?

I am considering moving to Ubuntu from CentOS5, but would like to keep my
partition scheme intact. Here's what I have:

/dev/mapper/raid1-root
12G 4.7G 6.1G 44% /
/dev/hdb2 99M 29M 65M 31% /boot
/dev/hdd3 99M 22M 73M 23% /bootbk
/dev/mapper/raid1-data
29G 4.1G 23G 16% /data
/dev/mapper/raid1-home
9.5G 8.5G 508M 95% /home
tmpfs 1014M 0 1014M 0% /dev/shm

All the LVM partitions sit on top of a software RAID1 array. Will the
alternate install CD let me use /dev/mapper/raid1-root for my OS, /dev/hdb2
for my boot, and leave the other partitions alone?

Thanks

Sean

Old 02-04-2008, 03:06 AM
Sean Carolan

> All the LVM partitions sit on top of a software RAID1 array. Will the
> alternate install CD let me use /dev/mapper/raid1-root for my OS, /dev/hdb2
> for my boot, and leave the other partitions alone?

If anyone's interested this experiment did not go well. Ubuntu was unable to
re-use the existing partition so I had to wipe them and go with a fresh
install. Good thing I keep regular backups. At least it didn't nuke my
Windows XP partition so I won't have to re-install all my games!

Old 02-04-2008, 04:58 AM
Felipe Figueiredo

Em Monday 04 February 2008 02:06:43 Sean Carolan escreveu:

> > All the LVM partitions sit on top of a software RAID1 array. Will the
> > alternate install CD let me use /dev/mapper/raid1-root for my
OS, /dev/hdb2
> > for my boot, and leave the other partitions alone?
>
> If anyone's interested this experiment did not go well. Ubuntu was unable
> re-use the existing partition so I had to wipe them and go with a fresh
> install. Good thing I keep regular backups. At least it didn't nuke my
> Windows XP partition so I won't have to re-install all my games!

What exactly didn't work? The data and home LV's should've been added without
problems during the manual partitioning using the alternative CD. I've done
it several times.

Did you try to re-use the root partition from the CentOS installation without
formatting?

regards
FF

Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Sean Carolan

> What exactly didn't work? The data and home LV's should've been added without
> problems during the manual partitioning using the alternative CD. I've done
> it several times.
>
> Did you try to re-use the root partition from the CentOS installation without
> formatting?

I did format the root partition, but kept getting errors about the kernel not
being able to detect changes to /dev/md0 and that I must reboot for the
changes to take effect. I got this error every time I tried to re-use the
same partition, even when I erased it completely. Wiping out everything but
my two ntfs partitions seemed to do the trick though. Overall it wasn't *too*
painful, but I wouldn't recommend anyone trying the same thing. At least in
my experience Ubuntu's installer partitioner does better with a fresh start.

The good news is I haven't had to add any 3rd-party repos or custom packages
to get everything working on my system that I had before on CentOS. Ubuntu is
clearly the more user-friendly desktop system.

Old 02-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Derek Broughton

Sean Carolan wrote:

>> All the LVM partitions sit on top of a software RAID1 array. Will the
>> alternate install CD let me use /dev/mapper/raid1-root for my OS,
>> /dev/hdb2 for my boot, and leave the other partitions alone?
>
> If anyone's interested this experiment did not go well. Ubuntu was unable
> to re-use the existing partition so I had to wipe them and go with a fresh
> install. Good thing I keep regular backups.

IME, Ubuntu never "reuses" a partition. When I experimented with actually
mounting old partitions I'm sure it told me it was going to nuke them.

I haven't tried this (and I've never tried Raid), but I think you needed to
do something like:

1) Tell the partitioner to use the LVM volume group and volumes, but _don't_
tell it to mount anything on them
2) Tell it where to mount /
3) Install
4) after getting the system up, mount all the existing LVM partitions to the
correct places (realizing that if any of them contain paths loaded in (3),
you've just bollixed the whole system :-) )

Of course, it's all moot now.

> At least it didn't nuke my
> Windows XP partition so I won't have to re-install all my games!

??
--
derek