Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Colin Law

Default Missing Trash

On 4 December 2010 20:10, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new user. *So, go easy on me...
>
> I recently encountered a problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 system with regard
> to the trash/file system.
>
> I setup sbackup to do daily backups and keep 10 days of backups. *I was
> running out of disk space. *So, I copied the older backups off to
> another machine. *I then attempted to delete them from my system. *As my
> standard user account did not have adequate permissions I ran nautilus
> as administrator. *I was able to delete the files, however, when I
> attempted to go into trash to completely remove them I received an error
> and no files were displayed. *I did not capture the error message as I
> was to quick to click to try again. *I restarted the machine and
> reloaded nautilus as administrator and was able to access the trash.
> However, no files are listed. *But, the space that was allocated has not
> been freed.

If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
bigger than it should be.

Colin

Old 12-05-2010, 04:07 PM
"Christopher A. Lindsey"

On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 20:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 4 December 2010 20:10, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm relatively new user. So, go easy on me...
> >
> > I recently encountered a problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 system with regard
> > to the trash/file system.
> >
> > I setup sbackup to do daily backups and keep 10 days of backups. I was
> > running out of disk space. So, I copied the older backups off to
> > another machine. I then attempted to delete them from my system. As my
> > standard user account did not have adequate permissions I ran nautilus
> > as administrator. I was able to delete the files, however, when I
> > attempted to go into trash to completely remove them I received an error
> > and no files were displayed. I did not capture the error message as I
> > was to quick to click to try again. I restarted the machine and
> > reloaded nautilus as administrator and was able to access the trash.
> > However, no files are listed. But, the space that was allocated has not
> > been freed.
>
> If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
> the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
> Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
> and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
> bigger than it should be.
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried that and I just tried it again.
Here are the results:

Total Filesystem capacity: 35.3 GB (used: 32.3 GB available: 3.0 GB )

Results of Scan Filesystem:
Folder "/" Usage 100% Size 10.6 GB Contents 21 items

So, it appears to me that the space has not been released but it is not
assigned to any files.

Any additional ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

--
Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@GarudaLLC.com>
Garuda, LLC

Old 12-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Colin Law

On 5 December 2010 17:07, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 20:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 4 December 2010 20:10, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I'm relatively new user. *So, go easy on me...
>> >
>> > I recently encountered a problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 system with regard
>> > to the trash/file system.
>> >
>> > I setup sbackup to do daily backups and keep 10 days of backups. *I was
>> > running out of disk space. *So, I copied the older backups off to
>> > another machine. *I then attempted to delete them from my system. *As my
>> > standard user account did not have adequate permissions I ran nautilus
>> > as administrator. *I was able to delete the files, however, when I
>> > attempted to go into trash to completely remove them I received an error
>> > and no files were displayed. *I did not capture the error message as I
>> > was to quick to click to try again. *I restarted the machine and
>> > reloaded nautilus as administrator and was able to access the trash.
>> > However, no files are listed. *But, the space that was allocated has not
>> > been freed.
>>
>> If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
>> the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
>> Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
>> and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
>> bigger than it should be.
>>
>> Colin
>>
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. *I have tried that and I just tried it again.
> Here are the results:
>
> Total Filesystem capacity: 35.3 GB (used: 32.3 GB available: 3.0 GB )
>
> Results of Scan Filesystem:
> Folder "/" Usage 100% Size 10.6 GB Contents 21 items
>
> So, it appears to me that the space has not been released but it is not
> assigned to any files.

What does
df
show? Post the whole output please.

Colin

Old 12-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Nigel Henry

On Sunday 05 December 2010 18:07, Christopher A. Lindsey wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 20:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> > On 4 December 2010 20:10, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com>
wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm relatively new user. So, go easy on me...
> > >
> > > I recently encountered a problem with my Ubuntu 10.10 system with
> > > regard to the trash/file system.
> > >
> > > I setup sbackup to do daily backups and keep 10 days of backups. I was
> > > running out of disk space. So, I copied the older backups off to
> > > another machine. I then attempted to delete them from my system. As
> > > my standard user account did not have adequate permissions I ran
> > > nautilus as administrator. I was able to delete the files, however,
> > > when I attempted to go into trash to completely remove them I received
> > > an error and no files were displayed. I did not capture the error
> > > message as I was to quick to click to try again. I restarted the
> > > machine and reloaded nautilus as administrator and was able to access
> > > the trash. However, no files are listed. But, the space that was
> > > allocated has not been freed.
> >
> > If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
> > the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
> > Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
> > and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
> > bigger than it should be.
> >
> > Colin
>
> Hi Colin,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I have tried that and I just tried it again.
> Here are the results:
>
> Total Filesystem capacity: 35.3 GB (used: 32.3 GB available: 3.0 GB )
>
> Results of Scan Filesystem:
> Folder "/" Usage 100% Size 10.6 GB Contents 21 items
>
> So, it appears to me that the space has not been released but it is not
> assigned to any files.
>
> Any additional ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

Hi Chris.

I had a similar problem like yours a while back when running in admin mode and
wanting to get rid of unwanted files. This was using KDE's konqueror in
superuser mode. I deleted, or thought I'd deleted the files, but they had
been sent to /root's trash bin, rather than being totally deleted. I found a
way to bypass root's trash bin later and got rid of the files completely.

So have a look in root's trash can at /root/.local/share/Trash, there should
be 2 empty folders "files" and "info" if there's no trash, but you may find
your trash there.

All the best.

Nigel.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:18 PM
"Christopher A. Lindsey"

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 18:00 +0000, Colin Law wrote:
> On 5 December 2010 17:07, Christopher A. Lindsey <CLindsey@garudallc.com> wrote:

> >> If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
> >> the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
> >> Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
> >> and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
> >> bigger than it should be.
> >>
> >> Colin
> >>
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. I have tried that and I just tried it again.
> > Here are the results:
> >
> > Total Filesystem capacity: 35.3 GB (used: 32.3 GB available: 3.0 GB )
> >
> > Results of Scan Filesystem:
> > Folder "/" Usage 100% Size 10.6 GB Contents 21 items
> >
> > So, it appears to me that the space has not been released but it is not
> > assigned to any files.
>

> What does
> df
> show? Post the whole output please.
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

Here you go:
/dev/sda1 36993772 33833760 1280812 97% /
none 248352 260 248092 1% /dev
none 253952 688 253264 1% /dev/shm
none 253952 692 253260 1% /var/run
none 253952 0 253952 0% /var/lock

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
"Christopher A. Lindsey"

On Sun, 2010-12-05 at 19:26 +0000, ubuntu-users-request@lists.ubuntu.com
wrote:
<snip>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 19:03:07 +0100
> From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>
> Subject: Re: Missing Trash
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Sunday 05 December 2010 18:07, Christopher A. Lindsey wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 20:55 +0000, Colin Law wrote:

> > > If they are of substantial size, which I am guessing they may be as
> > > the purpose of the exercise was to free up disk space, you could run
> > > Applications > Accessories > Disk Usage Analyser, scan initially home,
> > > and if necessary the whole machine, and look for a folder that is much
> > > bigger than it should be.
> > >
> > > Colin
> >
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> > Thanks for your reply. I have tried that and I just tried it again.
> > Here are the results:
> >
> > Total Filesystem capacity: 35.3 GB (used: 32.3 GB available: 3.0 GB )
> >
> > Results of Scan Filesystem:
> > Folder "/" Usage 100% Size 10.6 GB Contents 21 items
> >
> > So, it appears to me that the space has not been released but it is not
> > assigned to any files.
> >
> > Any additional ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris
>
> Hi Chris.
>
> I had a similar problem like yours a while back when running in admin mode and
> wanting to get rid of unwanted files. This was using KDE's konqueror in
> superuser mode. I deleted, or thought I'd deleted the files, but they had
> been sent to /root's trash bin, rather than being totally deleted. I found a
> way to bypass root's trash bin later and got rid of the files completely.
>
> So have a look in root's trash can at /root/.local/share/Trash, there should
> be 2 empty folders "files" and "info" if there's no trash, but you may find
> your trash there.
>
> All the best.
>
> Nigel.

Hi Nigel,

Thank you. That took me to the right place. I was able to find the
files, change the permissions and remove them.

Thanks to Colin for working with me, too.

Take care,
Chris