Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default btrfs in 10.10

Hi,
btrfs is introduced in 10.10, but its in development phase. Any specific reason ?
Thanks
Kaushal

Old 12-04-2010, 09:18 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 12/4/2010 3:09 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> btrfs is introduced in 10.10, but its in development phase. Any
> specific reason ?

Because BtrFS is not a finished filesystem, and is far from recommended
for production use. It even highlights that on their website. There is
is no proper FSCK tool even though there is one now. There are still
some major key things missing as well.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Jonathan Matthews

On 4 December 2010 10:18, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 12/4/2010 3:09 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> btrfs is introduced in 10.10, but its in development phase. Any
>> specific reason ?
>
> Because BtrFS is not a finished filesystem, and is far from recommended
> for production use. *It even highlights that on their website. *There is
> is no proper FSCK tool even though there is one now. *There are still
> some major key things missing as well.

^^^^ This, * 1000. I'd go so far as to posit that if you're unaware of
the reasons you should or shouldn't be running btrfs (or any other
fs), you should just take the defaults that came with your installer
CD. Btrfs may have an impressive feature-set, but it's nowhere near
the "ZFS, but on my linuxes!" level of stability, utility or "almost
certainly won't fuck up your entire machine"-ness that I'm sure we'd
all like to see.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews