Old 12-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Ray Parrish

Default Upgrading to 10.04

Hi there,

I've been away from this group for a while due to my pursuit of my
musical compositions on guitar taking u a lot of my time, so I would lie
to ask for a recap of possible problems or gotchas to doing an in place
upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04.

I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or is
even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
recordings, and need this ability greatly.

I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in 10.04
since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably broken, forcing
me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that thrilled with.

Sorry I haven't been participating in the group much lately, I've just
been really busy pursuing a new career in music trying to put to good
use my forty years of guitar playing.

Check out the songs I have been posting on my Facebook account's
profile. I have composed, and recorded over 80 new songs in the past
three months, and I also post many recordings of me playing with all of
the famous bands from down through the years there also.

http://www.facebook.com/christopher.r.parrish

--
The Unknown Lead Player, Ray Parrish
http://www.reverbnation.com/christopherrayparrish#

Old 12-04-2010, 08:40 AM
Nils Kassube

Ray Parrish wrote:
> I would
> lie to ask for a recap of possible problems or gotchas to doing an
> in place upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04.

Without searching the archives of this list I can't tell you about such
problems. But that's what you probably have done already without finding
anything. At least I don't remember any problems on the one system I
upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, but it is always a good idea to check the
release notes [1] first because there might be something special with
your hardware.

> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or
> is even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
> recordings, and need this ability greatly.

It is included, but can you define "works well"? I don't use it myself,
but if I would, I couldn't answer your question without more info.

> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in
> 10.04 since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably
> broken, forcing me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that
> thrilled with.

Yes, it is working correctly - at least for me. Again, maybe you should
define what you mean with "working correctly". Can you explain your
trouble with firefox in 8.04? Maybe I don't care about or even notice
the problem(s) you see. BTW for some time now, Hardy gets the latest
firefox version, just like Lucid [2]. Therefore you could even try it
with Hardy.

Nils

[1] <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidLynx/ReleaseNotes>
[2] <https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-June/000719.html>

Old 12-04-2010, 11:52 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 04/12/10 09:09, Ray Parrish wrote:
> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or is
> even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
> recordings, and need this ability greatly.

Ray,
Audacity works without a problem. I use it master tracks of a.o.
recordings of arrangements played on 2 piano's, combining 4 tracks to
one stereo recording for burning or big band recordings, both made with
a Zoom R16.

> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in 10.04
> since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably broken, forcing
> me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that thrilled with.

Firefox gives me also no problems but I have seen some have had some
problems with it.
You didn't mention if you use 32- or 64-bit Ubuntu as in former versions
the 64-bit flash wasn't available but problem has now vanished.
Success,
Joep

Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Liam Proven

On Sat, Dec 4, 2010 at 8:09 AM, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or is
> even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
> recordings, and need this ability greatly.

What does it matter if it's "included"?

I am not sure what you mean here.

If it /was/ in the repos in the 8.04 days, then it still will be;
little gets removed, AFAIK, and versions don't go backwards.

So: do you mean, is it part of the default install? If so, doesn't
matter; so long as you installed it the "legal" way, with apt-get, and
didn't compile your own version or something, then it will be upgraded
along with everything else.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Ray Parrish

Nils Kassube wrote:
> Ray Parrish wrote:
>
>> I would
>> lie to ask for a recap of possible problems or gotchas to doing an
>> in place upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04.
>>

> Without searching the archives of this list I can't tell you about such
> problems. But that's what you probably have done already without finding
> anything. At least I don't remember any problems on the one system I
> upgraded from 8.04 to 10.04, but it is always a good idea to check the
> release notes [1] first because there might be something special with
> your hardware.
>

>> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or
>> is even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
>> recordings, and need this ability greatly.
>>

> It is included, but can you define "works well"? I don't use it myself,
> but if I would, I couldn't answer your question without more info.

Audacity in 8.04 was a bear to configure, and refuses to work any way
other than having it's playback, and record devices set to the older
/dev/dsp device setting instead of the more recent alsa, or pulseaudio
sound settings. It still throws gray out fits at times for ten or
fifteen seconds when I try to get it to play back a track to hear my
changes while editing a project.

>> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in
>> 10.04 since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably
>> broken, forcing me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that
>> thrilled with.
>>

> Yes, it is working correctly - at least for me. Again, maybe you should
> define what you mean with "working correctly". Can you explain your
> trouble with firefox in 8.04?
Yes, Firefox closes immediately if I attempt to load the following page
by any method -

http://gearscore.com/b/boxx/codex/codex.asp

This page is a great guitar scale reference that I use quite a bit, but
can not now access with Firefox. It did not used to crash on this page,
but now it always does. I have asked for help in a Firefox forum, but
they evidently are not familiar with the Linux version, and can not some
up with any answers for me.

Firefox's Tab Kit add on is also broken, which causes much frustration
when it decides to malfunction, and will not hide the tab list properly.
I hate using Google Chrome, which is currently the only usable option I
have to accomplish the things I do on the web.

Later, Ray Parrish--

Old 12-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Colin Law

On 4 December 2010 08:09, Ray Parrish <crp@cmc.net> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I've been away from this group for a while due to my pursuit of my
> musical compositions on guitar taking u a lot of my time, so I would lie
> to ask for a recap of possible problems or gotchas to doing an in place
> upgrade from 8.04 to 10.04.
>
> I am especially interested in whether or not Audacity works well, or is
> even included in 10.04, since I use it extensively for my musical
> recordings, and need this ability greatly.
>
> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in 10.04
> since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably broken, forcing
> me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that thrilled with.

If you have 10Gig free disk you could install 10.04 (or 10.10 for that
matter) on a separate partition and play with it to check it is ok
before upgrading. In fact even 5Gig may be enough. After you have
installed and updated it then boot back into 8.04 and do
sudo grub-install /dev/hda (or whatever is your boot drive) to put
8.04 back as the 'primary' os.

Colin

Old 12-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Nils Kassube

Ray Parrish wrote:
> Nils Kassube wrote:
> > Ray Parrish wrote:
> >> I would also like to know if Firefox is working correctly again in
> >> 10.04 since the current version I have with 8.04 is miserably
> >> broken, forcing me to use Google Chrome, which I am not all that
> >> thrilled with.
> >
> > Yes, it is working correctly - at least for me. Again, maybe you
> > should define what you mean with "working correctly". Can you
> > explain your trouble with firefox in 8.04?
>
> Yes, Firefox closes immediately if I attempt to load the following
> page by any method -
>
> http://gearscore.com/b/boxx/codex/codex.asp

Thanks for clarifying. No problem here with that page. Maybe your Java
setup is faulty?

> Firefox's Tab Kit add on is also broken, which causes much
> frustration when it decides to malfunction, and will not hide the
> tab list properly.

I have no idea if that works with 10.04 - I'm not using that addon.

Nils

Old 12-04-2010, 03:39 PM
NoOp

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=audacity
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/audacity
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/audacity/+bugs
http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/audacity

Old 12-05-2010, 08:17 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:10:01 +0000
Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:

> If it /was/ in the repos in the 8.04 days, then it still will be;
> little gets removed, AFAIK, and versions don't go backwards.

It must be just me; three of my favorite programs have disappeared:
Gtop and Galeon are completely gone.
GQview is going away quickly as it is replaced by Geeqie.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
"I had a fortune cookie the other day and it said: 'Outlook not so
good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Old 12-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Liam Proven

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 13:10:01 +0000
> Liam Proven <lproven@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> If it /was/ in the repos in the 8.04 days, then it still will be;
>> little gets removed, AFAIK, and versions don't go backwards.
>
> It must be just me; three of my favorite programs have disappeared:
> Gtop and Galeon are completely gone.
> GQview is going away quickly as it is replaced by Geeqie.

*Blinks in astonishment*

Never heard of any of them, and I typically add /loads/ of extra stuff
and have been on Linux for 13 years now. GetDeb.net has never heard of
them either, but it is not as useful as it used to be.

Well, I must apologise; apparently stuff /is/ disappearing. I never knew.