Old 12-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Dave Stevens

Default file sharing glitch

Hi,

I have a problem sharing a file using Ubuntu 10.10 32bit live.

I have a Windows box with a borked startup. I want to copy Documents and
Settings to another computer as a backup. I'll then reload Windows, reinstall
the docs and carry on.

I have a Fedora 14 box on my subnet at address 1.2, the UbuntuLive (Windows
borked) unit is at 1.20. Samba has been downloaded and installed to the live
unit. I have shared the folder from the ubuntu box (1.20) and can see it under
the Fedora Network | Windows Network icon as Ubuntu and then can open that
icon to see Docs and Settings (Which I had to rename to dands for name issues)
but I can't see the contents. So I'm almost there but don't see what more to
do to get access to the contents of the folder,

Ideas? references?

Dave

Old 12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
Christopher Chan

On Saturday, December 04, 2010 09:02 AM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem sharing a file using Ubuntu 10.10 32bit live.
>
> I have a Windows box with a borked startup. I want to copy Documents and
> Settings to another computer as a backup. I'll then reload Windows, reinstall
> the docs and carry on.
>
> I have a Fedora 14 box on my subnet at address 1.2, the UbuntuLive (Windows
> borked) unit is at 1.20. Samba has been downloaded and installed to the live
> unit. I have shared the folder from the ubuntu box (1.20) and can see it under
> the Fedora Network | Windows Network icon as Ubuntu and then can open that
> icon to see Docs and Settings (Which I had to rename to dands for name issues)
> but I can't see the contents. So I'm almost there but don't see what more to
> do to get access to the contents of the folder,
>
> Ideas? references?

Can you see the contents of Documents and Settings on the Live Ubuntu
instance?

With what user did you mount the ntfs partition? Do the permissions
allow whatever setting you set on the Ubuntu samba to access Documents
and Settings?