Old 12-03-2010, 11:07 PM
"A. Kromic"

Default CPU frequency went down

Hello everybody.

Some time ago I got this problem, my CPU won't set its full frequency
anymore, to be more precise it works at the lowest frequency and doesn't
allow it to be changed. I've tried setting it by different means, from
several frequency-setting daemons, to command line tools, to gnome
applet and finally to directly trying to set it by writing to sysfs, but
nothing does work. Until before a few months, everything worked fine.

I have no idea where to look, what logs should I check, which system
component could be responsible for this error?

My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).

I'd really appreciate any advice to set me on the right path. Thanks

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 04/12/10 01:07, A. Kromic wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> Some time ago I got this problem, my CPU won't set its full frequency
> anymore, to be more precise it works at the lowest frequency and doesn't
> allow it to be changed. I've tried setting it by different means, from
> several frequency-setting daemons, to command line tools, to gnome
> applet and finally to directly trying to set it by writing to sysfs, but
> nothing does work. Until before a few months, everything worked fine.
>
> I have no idea where to look, what logs should I check, which system
> component could be responsible for this error?
>
> My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
> that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).
>
> I'd really appreciate any advice to set me on the right path. Thanks

Just to add, architecture is amd64.

Any ideas? Anybody?

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-06-2010, 04:47 AM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 02:45 +0100, A. Kromic wrote:
> On 04/12/10 01:07, A. Kromic wrote:
> > Hello everybody.
> >
> > Some time ago I got this problem, my CPU won't set its full frequency
> > anymore, to be more precise it works at the lowest frequency and doesn't
> > allow it to be changed. I've tried setting it by different means, from
> > several frequency-setting daemons, to command line tools, to gnome
> > applet and finally to directly trying to set it by writing to sysfs, but
> > nothing does work. Until before a few months, everything worked fine.
> >
> > I have no idea where to look, what logs should I check, which system
> > component could be responsible for this error?
> >
> > My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
> > that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).
> >
> > I'd really appreciate any advice to set me on the right path. Thanks
> >

> Just to add, architecture is amd64.
>
> Any ideas? Anybody?

Run a few memory/cpu hog programs and see if the cpu speed does or
doesn't scale up. It's a feature, not a bug ...or so I've been told.
Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-06-2010, 05:32 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 06/12/10 06:47, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 02:45 +0100, A. Kromic wrote:
>> On 04/12/10 01:07, A. Kromic wrote:
>>> Hello everybody.
>>>
>>> Some time ago I got this problem, my CPU won't set its full frequency
>>> anymore, to be more precise it works at the lowest frequency and doesn't
>>> allow it to be changed. I've tried setting it by different means, from
>>> several frequency-setting daemons, to command line tools, to gnome
>>> applet and finally to directly trying to set it by writing to sysfs, but
>>> nothing does work. Until before a few months, everything worked fine.
>>>
>>> I have no idea where to look, what logs should I check, which system
>>> component could be responsible for this error?
>>>
>>> My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
>>> that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).
>>>
>>> I'd really appreciate any advice to set me on the right path. Thanks
>>>
>> Just to add, architecture is amd64.
>>
>> Any ideas? Anybody?
> Run a few memory/cpu hog programs and see if the cpu speed does or
> doesn't scale up. It's a feature, not a bug ...or so I've been told.
> Ric

Thank you for your reply.
No it doesn't scale up, it did it normally before (I've actually set it
to ran at full speed on AC). Because most of the time i do hog the CPU,
since it stopped working at full speed I have a really hard time

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-07-2010, 01:21 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your reply.
> No it doesn't scale up, it did it normally before (I've actually set it
> to ran at full speed on AC). Because most of the time i do hog the CPU,
> since it stopped working at full speed I have a really hard time

Here's a shell script I wrote many moons ago that should display what
your current and maximum CPU speeds are:

#!/bin/bash

# A bash script to show the current and maxmimum speeds of a self-throttling CPU
# by Mark A. Richter GPL 2010/12/06

# echo "$0 $*"

if [[ "$1" == "-x" ]]; then
shift
setx="-x"
set -x
fi

if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
exec $0 $setx -errnull 2> /dev/null
exit
fi

set_mhz() {
mhz=`awk '$1 == "cpu" && $2 == "MHz" { print $NF; }' /proc/cpuinfo |
tr "
" " "`
cpus=`grep processor /proc/cpuinfo | wc -l`
}

set_mhz
echo "Current speed: ${mhz}MHz"
# echo -n "Type <enter> for maximum speed: "
# read ln
while [[ $cpus != 0 ]]; do
cat /dev/zero > /dev/null 2> /dev/null &
cpus=$(( $cpus - 1))
done
sleep 1;
set_mhz
echo "Maximum speed: ${mhz}MHz"
for i in `ps -ef | grep zero | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'`; do
kill $i
done
wait

Old 12-07-2010, 01:44 AM
NoOp

On 12/03/2010 04:07 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
> Hello everybody.

Don't know, but your post doesn't appear to be related to the original
thread ("safely Remove Drive").

I'd recommend that you start a new thread of your own rather than
hijacking anothers thread. Thanks.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:23 AM
"Joep L. Blom"

On 07/12/10 03:44, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 04:07 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
>> Hello everybody.
>
> Don't know, but your post doesn't appear to be related to the original
> thread ("safely Remove Drive").

> I'd recommend that you start a new thread of your own rather than
> hijacking anothers thread. Thanks.

I agree wholeheartedly with Noop but Mark: nice script.
Joep

Old 12-07-2010, 09:19 AM
"A. Kromic"

On 07/12/10 09:23, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> On 07/12/10 03:44, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/03/2010 04:07 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
>>> Hello everybody.
>> Don't know, but your post doesn't appear to be related to the original
>> thread ("safely Remove Drive").

>> I'd recommend that you start a new thread of your own rather than
>> hijacking anothers thread. Thanks.

Sorry about that... I simply replied the last post I had for it was an
easiest way to post at the moment, and I thought it would do no harm
since the Subject was new. Little did I know that despite I deleted the
original content and put a different subject, there still existed the
trechearous 'In-Reply-To:' header, which my Thunderbird neither
displayed nor offered to change on post, yet it puts my original post in
another's thread. Therefore, I've reposted this reply in a fresh
post to avoid further confusion...

I also thank Mark for the script, and when I run it it said:

> Current speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
> Maximum speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz

Now you see what worries me? :$

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2010 02:19 AM, A. Kromic wrote:
> Sorry about that... I simply replied the last post I had for it was an
> easiest way to post at the moment, and I thought it would do no harm
> since the Subject was new. Little did I know that despite I deleted the
> original content and put a different subject, there still existed the
> trechearous 'In-Reply-To:' header, which my Thunderbird neither
> displayed nor offered to change on post, yet it puts my original post in
> another's thread. Therefore, I've reposted this reply in a fresh
> post to avoid further confusion...
>
> I also thank Mark for the script, and when I run it it said:
>
>> Current speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
>> Maximum speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
>

> Now you see what worries me? :$

You'd mentioned that you have an amd64 "Just to add, architecture is
amd64.". However the Thinkpad R61i uses Intel processors only. [1]

Please do the following:

$ sudo lshw > myhardware.txt
$ gedit myhardware.txt

Now copy the info in 'myhardware.txt' and paste it in the 'Content' box
here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/
Click the 'Paste!' button and post back the URL to the result - URL
*only* please.

Just a few thoughts; have you checked your bios to see if perhaps you've
somehow turned off speedstepping in bios? Is your bios up to date? [2]
Note: I'm not sure is an option in your bios for speedstep, but it's
worth checking. Are you running the laptop without a battery? Apparently
T61's will not run at full power if the battery is not in the machine. [3]

[1]
<http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=migr-68199>
[2] http://download.lenovo.com/lenovo/content/ddfm/MIGR-67856.html
Note: you'll find your bios information in the 'myhardware.txt' file as
well as when you boot to bios.
[3] http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=68563&view=previous

Old 12-07-2010, 06:13 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also thank Mark for the script, and when I run it it said:
>
>> Current speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
>> Maximum speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz

Stab in the dark here - has your CPU overheated, perhaps too many times?