Old 12-07-2010, 07:10 PM
"A. Kromic"

Default CPU frequency went down

On 07/12/10 19:43, NoOp wrote:

> You'd mentioned that you have an amd64 "Just to add, architecture is
> amd64.". However the Thinkpad R61i uses Intel processors only. [1]

I didn't mean I have an AMD CPU, I just mentioned the architecture. In
Ubuntu (and Debian) repositories, the architecture is still marked
'amd64' and some people still do call it that way. I was refering to the
architecture that is now generally known as 'x86_64', and has been named
'EMT64' by Intel before, for understandable reasons...
> Just a few thoughts; have you checked your bios to see if perhaps you've
> somehow turned off speedstepping in bios? Is your bios up to date? [2]
> Note: I'm not sure is an option in your bios for speedstep, but it's
> worth checking. Are you running the laptop without a battery? Apparently
> T61's will not run at full power if the battery is not in the machine. [3]

Now that you mentioned it, it is possible the battery is the culprit...
It has failed some time ago and I did use the machine without it for
some time, but put it back when I saw the frequency scaling problem.
However, the problem remained, so I thought it wasn't it; perhaps the
defective battery does have the same effect?

Thanks

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-07-2010, 07:35 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 07/12/10 20:13, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 2:19 AM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I also thank Mark for the script, and when I run it it said:
>>
>>> Current speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
>>> Maximum speed: 800.000 800.000 MHz
> Stab in the dark here - has your CPU overheated, perhaps too many times?

This might also be possible, since the fan has failed some months ago
and I replaced it. You mean there may be some reason for the CPU to stop
working at full speed permanently if it has been overheated? Never heard
of that protection mechanism, but if you say it exists, then it could
possible... How does that work then?

Thanks

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-07-2010, 08:12 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:

> This might also be possible, since the fan has failed some months ago
> and I replaced it. You mean there may be some reason for the CPU to stop
> working at full speed permanently if it has been overheated? Never heard
> of that protection mechanism, but if you say it exists, then it could
> possible... How does that work then?

It used to be that when a CPU overheated it was dead. With the advent
of scaling CPUs, that became less likely since the CPUs would scale
back their operating frequency to use less electricity and thus
generate less heat, but I suspect it is still possible that if it's
overheated long enough it will fail, possibly by not being able to
scale back up again. It's a guess - I have no evidence for this.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 07/12/10 22:12, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 7, 2010 at 12:35 PM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> This might also be possible, since the fan has failed some months ago
>> and I replaced it. You mean there may be some reason for the CPU to stop
>> working at full speed permanently if it has been overheated? Never heard
>> of that protection mechanism, but if you say it exists, then it could
>> possible... How does that work then?
>>
> It used to be that when a CPU overheated it was dead. With the advent
> of scaling CPUs, that became less likely since the CPUs would scale
> back their operating frequency to use less electricity and thus
> generate less heat, but I suspect it is still possible that if it's
> overheated long enough it will fail, possibly by not being able to
> scale back up again. It's a guess - I have no evidence for this.

Ok, I investigated the matter a bit further and it seems everything
hardware related we talked about are only coincidences. I've checked the
BIOS first, and it had SpeedStep control on, just as I've left it
before. Then I've tried booting two liveCDs, 10.10 'Maverick' had the
same problem, BUT 10.04LTS 'Lucid' had the CPU happily scaling up, just
as I had it before. I booted them again to doublecheck, and I confirmed
the behavior. So, it seems my initial suspicions were correct, some bug
has crept in during the Lucid updates, since it started ok when fresh
(and still does so from liveCD). Now I need to identify where the bug
is; I suspect it might be the kernel since it completely fails to scale
the frequency, even when accessed through /proc FS. Are there any other,
perhaps ACPI related components that might interfere with it?

Thanks

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
NoOp

On 12/07/2010 01:38 PM, A. Kromic wrote:

> Ok, I investigated the matter a bit further and it seems everything
> hardware related we talked about are only coincidences. I've checked the
> BIOS first, and it had SpeedStep control on, just as I've left it
> before. Then I've tried booting two liveCDs, 10.10 'Maverick' had the
> same problem, BUT 10.04LTS 'Lucid' had the CPU happily scaling up, just
> as I had it before. I booted them again to doublecheck, and I confirmed
> the behavior. So, it seems my initial suspicions were correct, some bug
> has crept in during the Lucid updates, since it started ok when fresh
> (and still does so from liveCD). Now I need to identify where the bug
> is; I suspect it might be the kernel since it completely fails to scale
> the frequency, even when accessed through /proc FS. Are there any other,
> perhaps ACPI related components that might interfere with it?

Good catch. Try booting the the previous kernel (2.6.32-21.32) to see if
that makes a difference. Or try the 'proposed' (2.6.32-27.49) - just
released a few hours ago. 27.49 has a huge list of proposed fixes - take
a look at the change log.

The most recent lucid kernel was a security patch nine days ago. I
wonder if that coincides with your problem:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
The Lucid Lynx (supported)
Linux trunk series Change upstream link Remove upstream link
Show details 2.6.32-21.32 release (main) 34 weeks ago
Show details 2.6.32-27.49 proposed (main) 3 hours 40 minutes ago
Show details 2.6.32-26.48 updates, security (main) nine days ago
Publishing details

* Published on 2010-11-30
* Copied from ubuntu lucid in Private PPA for Ubuntu Security Team

Changelog

linux (2.6.32-26.48) lucid-security; urgency=low
[ Leann Ogasawara ]
* SAUCE: AF_ECONET prevent kernel stack overflow
- CVE-2010-3848
* SAUCE: AF_ECONET SIOCSIFADDR ioctl does not check privileges
- CVE-2010-3850
* SAUCE: AF_ECONET saddr->cookie prevent NULL pointer dereference
- CVE-2010-3849
-- Leann Ogasawara <email address hidden> Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:10:05 -0800

Also check:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
Enter: scaling
in the search box and you'll find around 39 results.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:45 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 08/12/10 18:53, NoOp wrote:
> On 12/07/2010 01:38 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
> Good catch. Try booting the the previous kernel (2.6.32-21.32) to see if
> that makes a difference. Or try the 'proposed' (2.6.32-27.49) - just
> released a few hours ago. 27.49 has a huge list of proposed fixes - take
> a look at the change log.
>
> The most recent lucid kernel was a security patch nine days ago. I
> wonder if that coincides with your problem:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
> The Lucid Lynx (supported)
> Linux trunk series Change upstream link Remove upstream link
> Show details 2.6.32-21.32 release (main) 34 weeks ago
> Show details 2.6.32-27.49 proposed (main) 3 hours 40 minutes ago
> Show details 2.6.32-26.48 updates, security (main) nine days ago
> Publishing details
>
> * Published on 2010-11-30
> * Copied from ubuntu lucid in Private PPA for Ubuntu Security Team
>
> Changelog
>
> linux (2.6.32-26.48) lucid-security; urgency=low
> [ Leann Ogasawara ]
> * SAUCE: AF_ECONET prevent kernel stack overflow
> - CVE-2010-3848
> * SAUCE: AF_ECONET SIOCSIFADDR ioctl does not check privileges
> - CVE-2010-3850
> * SAUCE: AF_ECONET saddr->cookie prevent NULL pointer dereference
> - CVE-2010-3849
> -- Leann Ogasawara <email address hidden> Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:10:05 -0800
>
> Also check:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
> Enter: scaling
> in the search box and you'll find around 39 results.

Unfortunately, the problem has occured during the summer, but at the
time I wasn't particularly interested in solving it until now; it
happened at least 5 kernel updates before, so it would be quite hard to
identify when it happened... I'm currently using the last 2.6.35 offered
for some time (same problem), but I might retry that new 2.6.32 you are
mentioning. I'll upgrade and try, then post back...

--
A.Kromic

Old 12-08-2010, 09:10 PM
NoOp

On 12/08/2010 01:45 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
> On 08/12/10 18:53, NoOp wrote:
>> On 12/07/2010 01:38 PM, A. Kromic wrote:
>> Good catch. Try booting the the previous kernel (2.6.32-21.32) to see if
>> that makes a difference. Or try the 'proposed' (2.6.32-27.49) - just
>> released a few hours ago. 27.49 has a huge list of proposed fixes - take
>> a look at the change log.
>>
>> The most recent lucid kernel was a security patch nine days ago. I
>> wonder if that coincides with your problem:
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
>> The Lucid Lynx (supported)
>> Linux trunk series Change upstream link Remove upstream link
>> Show details 2.6.32-21.32 release (main) 34 weeks ago
>> Show details 2.6.32-27.49 proposed (main) 3 hours 40 minutes ago
>> Show details 2.6.32-26.48 updates, security (main) nine days ago
>> Also check:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux
>> Enter: scaling
>> in the search box and you'll find around 39 results.
>>

> Unfortunately, the problem has occured during the summer, but at the
> time I wasn't particularly interested in solving it until now; it
> happened at least 5 kernel updates before, so it would be quite hard to
> identify when it happened... I'm currently using the last 2.6.35 offered
> for some time (same problem), but I might retry that new 2.6.32 you are
> mentioning. I'll upgrade and try, then post back...

You're running the maverick 10.10 kernel in 10.04?
From your other post:
<quote>
My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).
</quote>

Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM
"Daniel Proetel VIT"

Old 12-08-2010, 10:49 PM
"A. Kromic"

On 08/12/10 23:10, NoOp wrote:

> You're running the maverick 10.10 kernel in 10.04?
> From your other post:
> <quote>
> My machine is ThinkPad R61i, CPU is Pentium DC 1.6G (lowest speed 800M,
> that's what I have now...) OS is Ubuntu Lucid (10.04LTS).
> </quote>

Yes, I'm running the Maverick (backport to LTS) kernel in Lucid. Or at
least i WAS running it...

I've also tested the last 32-27 kernel, but the bug is not fixed. Then I
decided to go through a tedious bug hunt process - I've installed all
previous kernels and booted them one by one. The results of the testing
showed that old Lucid kernels, 2.6.32-21 through *-24 work fine (i.e.
scaling works fine), while all *-25 kernels and newer don't. That
includes the last Lucid 2.6.32 and the last Maverick 2.6.35 backported
kernels.

I've worked around the problem now by using the newest kernel that
scales normally (the above mentioned 2.6.32-24). Now when it is (most
probably) sure the bug is in the kernel, I need to determine if I should
post a new bug against it, or is it already covered by one...

A.Kromic

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 PM
Mark

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 3:49 PM, A. Kromic <akromic@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've worked around the problem now by using the newest kernel that
> scales normally (the above mentioned 2.6.32-24). Now when it is (most
> probably) sure the bug is in the kernel, I need to determine if I should
> post a new bug against it, or is it already covered by one...

If it is a kernel bug, it may be hardware specific. I am currently
running a Dell Precision with dual Xeon CPUs on a Dell motherboard
with the Intel 82801JI chipset and scaling works fine for me:

$ speed
Current speed: 1596.000 1596.000 1596.000 1596.000 1596.000 1596.000
1596.000 1596.000 MHz
Maximum speed: 2261.000 2261.000 2261.000 2261.000 2261.000 2261.000
2261.000 2261.000 MHz

Perhaps your CPU is not 100% Intel/AMD compatible?