FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Hammad
 
Default Active Kernal Version

Hi there,

I am using ubuntu jaunty 9.0.4 that had many a problems.I have installed new Kernel modules by apt-get linux-upgrade (or whatever) command.. Now;


root@vps:/# ls -ltr /lib/modules/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:50 2.6.28-19-generic
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:51 2.6.18-028stab059.6
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 3 08:24 2.6.18-028stab068.9



and...root@vps:/lib/modules/2.6.28-19-generic# uname -r
2.6.18-028stab068.9

I want it to be new one i.e.*2.6.28-19-generic instead of - how do i do that?



Thanks for your help.Hammad


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Active Kernal Version

Hammad wrote:
> I am using ubuntu jaunty 9.0.4 that had many a problems.
> I have installed new Kernel modules by apt-get linux-upgrade (or
> whatever) command.. Now;
>
> root@vps:/# ls -ltr /lib/modules/
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:50 2.6.28-19-generic
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:51 2.6.18-028stab059.6
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 3 08:24 2.6.18-028stab068.9
>
> and...
> root@vps:/lib/modules/2.6.28-19-generic# uname -r
> 2.6.18-028stab068.9
>
> I want it to be new one i.e. 2.6.28-19-generic instead of - how do i
> do that?

If you want to run the new kernel you have just installed, you should
reboot. But if you still get the old kernel after the reboot, you
probably have modified the grub configuration. For your ancient version
it is in "/boot/grub/menu.lst". Anyway, I hope you know that version
9.04 is no longer supported [1].


Nils

[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-November/000140.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Hammad
 
Default Active Kernal Version

Well, I modified the kernel grub through update-grub.
Anyhow, my major concern is that My ubuntu kernel 9.0.4 gives me a message that it does not support ipsec.
How can I put ipsec support into my this kernel?


Which package should be installed or any code to be compiled into kernel? how?

Regards,
Hammad

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

Hammad wrote:

> I am using ubuntu jaunty 9.0.4 that had many a problems.

> I have installed new Kernel modules by apt-get linux-upgrade (or

> whatever) command.. Now;

>

> root@vps:/# ls -ltr /lib/modules/

> total 12

> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:50 2.6.28-19-generic

> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 2 18:51 2.6.18-028stab059.6

> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Dec 3 08:24 2.6.18-028stab068.9

>

> and...

> root@vps:/lib/modules/2.6.28-19-generic# uname -r

> 2.6.18-028stab068.9

>

> I want it to be new one i.e. 2.6.28-19-generic instead of - how do i

> do that?



If you want to run the new kernel you have just installed, you should

reboot. But if you still get the old kernel after the reboot, you

probably have modified the grub configuration. For your ancient version

it is in "/boot/grub/menu.lst". Anyway, I hope you know that version

9.04 is no longer supported [1].





Nils



[1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-November/000140.html



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Nils Kassube
 
Default Active Kernal Version

Hammad wrote:
> Well, I modified the kernel grub through update-grub.

That's how it should work. However maybe you have set a kernel as
default which is not the latest one in "/boot/grub/menu.lst". Please
check that file to make sure it would run the new kernel, not the old
one. As an alternative you could manually select the new kernel at boot
time from the grub menu [1].

> Anyhow, my major concern is that My ubuntu kernel 9.0.4 gives me a
> message that it does not support ipsec.
> How can I put ipsec support into my this kernel?
>
> Which package should be installed or any code to be compiled into
> kernel? how?

According to [2] you need the package ipsec-tools. However that package
seems not to be available for Jaunty. Therefore I don't know if the new
kernel would support ipsec. Maybe it is really time to upgrade your
machine to a newer Ubuntu version.

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

BTW: Please don't top-post - see [3] (section "Technical guidelines").


Nils

[1] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto#Modifying%20boot%20options%20in%20GRUB>
[2] <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/IPSecHowTo>
[3] <http://www.ubuntu.com/support/community/mailinglists>

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org