Old 12-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Steve

Default Ubuntu 10.10: DVD Playback Stopped Working After The Upgrade

Hi;

I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10.

I could play a particular DVD without problems before the upgrade.
After the upgrade, totem just sits there and outputs these messages to
a terminal. Youtube works fine.

$ totem
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
libdvdnav: DVD Title: KUNG_FU_SEASON_3
libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 32b8976c
libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/steve/.dvdnav/KUNG_FU_SEASON_3.map'
libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f00000. Regions: 1 2 3 4

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000013a
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x0000036f
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x000007d8
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x002fd96d
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x002fe963
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Found 3 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
Any ideas what I need to do to get DVD playback working again.

Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 12-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Amichai Rotman

try to install the 'regionset' package.
It might have nothing to do with the upgrade. you may have reached the maximum of 5 times for Region change on a DVD player (even a computer DVD drive). check the region on the DVD box of each disc and make sure it is the same.

--*

.:================================================ ====:.

Amichai Rotman

.:================================================ ====:.*

Old 12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Rashkae

On 10-12-03 08:49 AM, Steve wrote:
> Hi;
>
> I upgraded from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10.
>
> I could play a particular DVD without problems before the upgrade.
> After the upgrade, totem just sits there and outputs these messages to
> a terminal. Youtube works fine.
>
> $ totem
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.9 for DVD access
> libdvdnav: DVD Title: KUNG_FU_SEASON_3
> libdvdnav: DVD Serial Number: 32b8976c
> libdvdnav: DVD Title (Alternative):
> libdvdnav: Unable to find map file '/home/steve/.dvdnav/KUNG_FU_SEASON_3.map'
> libdvdnav: DVD disk reports itself with Region mask 0x00f00000. Regions: 1 2 3 4
>
> libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
> libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient
>
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x0000013a
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x0000036f
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x000007d8
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x002fd96d
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x002fe963
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdread: Found 3 VTS's
> libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
> Any ideas what I need to do to get DVD playback working again.
>
> Thanks in advance

Do you get the same result with all DVD's or just this one?

I can offer a few troubleshooting ideas:

1. Re-install decss, it would not have been included with the upgrade.

sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

2. Delete your ~/.dcss directory. This is where css keys for dvd's are
stored.. I have had trouble in the past where a dvd gets mis-read and
this data becomes corrupted, making that 1 disc unplayable.

3. Check your dmesg log when you attempt to play the dvd. (just issue
the dmesg). If you are getting read errors on the dvd drive, it's
possible the dvd is simply bad, or your dvd drive is otherwise no longer
able to read it reliably.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Steve

Hi Rotman;

Thank you much for responding to my email

2010/12/3 Amichai Rotman <amichai@iglu.org.il>:
> try to install the 'regionset' package.

I did. My DVD player was set to Region 1, as it has been for many
years. The box for the DVD did not state the region, but did state
that the DVD was only for use in the US & Canada. All the same, I
ran regionset to set the region, again/redunantly to "1". I rebooted.
No change.

> It might have nothing to do with the upgrade.

The DVD played fine immediately before the upgrade and the problem
appeared immediately after the upgrade ( 10.04 -> 10.10 )

Old 12-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Steve

Hi Rashkae;

Thank you for responding to my email.

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Rashkae <ubuntu@tigershaunt.com> wrote:

> Do you get the same result with all DVD's or just this one?

I get the same results with all DVDs from that boxed set ( for use in
the US and I am in the US using a DVD player set to region 1 ). I
tried another DVD. I got a *slightly* grainy and choppy video....only
slightly ( I have dmae enabled ).

> I can offer a few troubleshooting ideas:
>
> 1. Re-install decss, it would not have been included with the upgrade.
>
> sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh

Thank you. I did that and rebooted, no change.

> 2. Delete your ~/.dcss directory. *This is where css keys for dvd's are
> stored.. I have had trouble in the past where a dvd gets mis-read and
> this data becomes corrupted, making that 1 disc unplayable.

Ubuntu told me that there is no such file or directory. I did find
and remove a ~/.dvdcss directory. I rebooted as well. No change.

> 3. *Check your dmesg log when you attempt to play the dvd. *(just issue
> the dmesg). *If you are getting read errors on the dvd drive, it's
> possible the dvd is simply bad, or your dvd drive is otherwise no longer
> able to read it reliably.

I ran dmesg immediately after trying to run the DVD.

The output was too voluminous to follow it back to the top but at the
bottom I got a message that had to do with the DVD that could not be
read:

[10968.354907] sr 1:0:1:0: [sr1] CDB: Read(10): 28 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 02 00
[10968.354919] end_request: I/O error, dev sr1, sector 4096
[10968.354926] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 1024
[10968.354931] Buffer I/O error on device sr1, logical block 1025
[10968.997820] UDF-fs: Partition marked readonly; forcing readonly mount
[10969.053981] UDF-fs INFO UDF: Mounting volume 'KUNG_FU_SEASON_3',
timestamp 2005/05/24 14:59 (1ed4)

Old 12-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Steve

I installed the VLC, which played the DVD with no problem. Totem
still can't play that DVD and it could before the upgrade. I'd still
like to get Totem functional again, if anyone has ideas for other
things I can try.

Thanks much in advance.

Steve

Old 12-03-2010, 09:02 PM
NoOp

On 12/03/2010 12:57 PM, Steve wrote:
> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!

What to you show for:
$ apt-cache policy ubuntu-restricted-extras

Also, might be worth checking out:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/musicvideophotos/C/video-dvd.html
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/PlayingDVDs
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeFormats
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdvdnav
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdvdnav/+bug/466389
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libdvdread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Steve

Hi NoOp

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 12:57 PM, Steve wrote:
>> libdvdnav: Suspected RCE Region Protection!!!
>
> What to you show for:
> $ apt-cache policy ubuntu-restricted-extras

Oddly enough I installed the VLC, which works fine with that DVD,
though Totem is still disabled from the upgrade

The output I got from apt-cache policy ubuntu-restricted-extras was:

# apt-cache policy ubuntu-restricted-extras
ubuntu-restricted-extras:
Installed: 42
Candidate: 42
Version table: