Old 12-03-2010, 10:31 AM
william drescher

Default Slightly OT: when is the end of the epoch ?

We have a legacy SCO Unix application that is running on an OLD
box with DataFlex. We are rewritting the application using LAMP,
but, as usual, it is falling behind schedule.

When will the SCO box die because it hits the end of the epoch
(when 32 bit timestamps roll over to 0 again ?).

July, 2012 ?

bill

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On 12/3/2010 5:31 AM, william drescher wrote:
> We have a legacy SCO Unix application that is running on an OLD
> box with DataFlex. We are rewritting the application using LAMP,
> but, as usual, it is falling behind schedule.
>
> When will the SCO box die because it hits the end of the epoch
> (when 32 bit timestamps roll over to 0 again ?).
>
> July, 2012

Far from. Sometime in 2038. Called in short the Y2K38 bug, though I
heard some systems might have fixed that (?) Unknown to me though if
it's true. I know it's not really worth it with some vendors trying to
work out 128bit so that we can try to make 64bit more mainstream than it
is now and push out 32bit systems.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:50 AM
william drescher

On 12/3/2010 6:38 AM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 12/3/2010 5:31 AM, william drescher wrote:
>> We have a legacy SCO Unix application that is running on an OLD
>> box with DataFlex. We are rewritting the application using LAMP,
>> but, as usual, it is falling behind schedule.
>>
>> When will the SCO box die because it hits the end of the epoch
>> (when 32 bit timestamps roll over to 0 again ?).
>>
>> July, 2012
>
> Far from. Sometime in 2038. Called in short the Y2K38 bug, though I
> heard some systems might have fixed that (?) Unknown to me though if
> it's true. I know it's not really worth it with some vendors trying to
> work out 128bit so that we can try to make 64bit more mainstream than it
> is now and push out 32bit systems.

In that case I will not panic quite yet :-)
I expect the hardware will give up the ghost before 2038, as will
I, probably.

If the rewriting is not done by then, It will be my successor's
problem.

bill