Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Ubuntu User (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/)
-   -   caps lock indicator applet? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/460570-caps-lock-indicator-applet.html)

Jim Byrnes 12-02-2010 10:24 PM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
Just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge. Now I discovered it has no caps lock
led. Apparently if I had left Windows 7 on it an indicator would have
appeared on the taskbar or desktop. Since the first thing I did was
remove it is there any applet to do the same thing on Maverick?

Regards, Jim

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Mark Widdicombe 12-03-2010 04:49 AM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 17:24 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> Just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge. Now I discovered it has no caps
> lock
> led. Apparently if I had left Windows 7 on it an indicator would
> have
> appeared on the taskbar or desktop. Since the first thing I did was
> remove it is there any applet to do the same thing on Maverick?
>
> Regards, Jim
Right click in the panel, click 'Add to panel' click 'Lock Keys', click
'Add'.

Disclaimer
http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Jim Byrnes 12-03-2010 04:15 PM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 17:24 -0600, Jim Byrnes wrote:
>> Just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge. Now I discovered it has no caps
>> lock
>> led. Apparently if I had left Windows 7 on it an indicator would
>> have
>> appeared on the taskbar or desktop. Since the first thing I did was
>> remove it is there any applet to do the same thing on Maverick?
>>
>> Regards, Jim
> Right click in the panel, click 'Add to panel' click 'Lock Keys', click
> 'Add'.
>
> Disclaimer
> http://www.shopriteholdings.co.za/pages/1019812640/disclaimer/E-mail-Disclaimer.asp
>

Mark,

Thanks, just what I needed. Just a note for anyone else that needs
this. It was not available by default on my install of Maverick. I had
to find and install it with Sanaptic and then restart the computer to
get it to show in the menu of items that can be added to a panel.

Regards, Jim

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 12-03-2010 07:10 PM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
On 12/03/2010 09:15 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
...
>
> Thanks, just what I needed. Just a note for anyone else that needs
> this. It was not available by default on my install of Maverick. I had
> to find and install it with Sanaptic and then restart the computer to
> get it to show in the menu of items that can be added to a panel.
...

You might also want to try:

$ sudo apt-get install lock-keys-applet

That one will show your numlock, caps, and scroll key status in your
panel. Makes it handy if you don't have a numlock led etc., and you can
configure to show only the keys you wish to see if you don't wish to see
all three.

Note: it's in the Universe repository:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/maverick/lock-keys-applet
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lock-keys-applet/+bugs


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

Jim Byrnes 12-03-2010 07:39 PM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
NoOp wrote:
> On 12/03/2010 09:15 AM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> ...
>>
>> Thanks, just what I needed. Just a note for anyone else that needs
>> this. It was not available by default on my install of Maverick. I had
>> to find and install it with Sanaptic and then restart the computer to
>> get it to show in the menu of items that can be added to a panel.
> ...
>
> You might also want to try:
>
> $ sudo apt-get install lock-keys-applet
>
> That one will show your numlock, caps, and scroll key status in your
> panel. Makes it handy if you don't have a numlock led etc., and you can
> configure to show only the keys you wish to see if you don't wish to see
> all three.
>
> Note: it's in the Universe repository:
> http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/maverick/lock-keys-applet [1]
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lock-keys-applet/+bugs
>
>

[1] This is the one that was installed using Sanaptic also or would have
apt-get put it on the panel by itself? At first it showed all 3 "lock"
keys, but I only have a caps lock. I had to reboot for another reason
and when I restarted it reconfigured itself and only showed the caps
lock key. Cool.

Regards, Jim


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

NoOp 12-03-2010 11:11 PM

caps lock indicator applet?
 
On 12/03/2010 12:39 PM, Jim Byrnes wrote:
> NoOp wrote:
...
>> Note: it's in the Universe repository:
>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/maverick/lock-keys-applet [1]
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lock-keys-applet/+bugs
>>
>>
>
> [1] This is the one that was installed using Sanaptic also or would have
> apt-get put it on the panel by itself?

That's fine. Installing via Synaptic accomplishes the same thing.

> At first it showed all 3 "lock"
> keys, but I only have a caps lock. I had to reboot for another reason
> and when I restarted it reconfigured itself and only showed the caps
> lock key. Cool.

Next time:

$ killall gnome-panel

should do the trick. You can right-click on the icon & select
'Preferences' to turn on/off which lock key you want it to show.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.