Old 12-02-2010, 09:14 PM
Jonathan Matthews

Default Lucid netinst ISO + "linux auto" == VFS kernel panic

Hi all -

* The problem

I'm getting a VFS kernel panic when the auto-install invocation "linux auto url="" is used at boot as per the installation manual: http://jpluscplusm.com/auto-install-failure.png (screenshot of panic)

* A bit more detail:

I'm trying to automate the deployment of some LTS servers using preseed. As a stopgap before getting dedicated dhcp+pxe+tftp going, I'm attempting to prove the validity of the preseed config (accessible via http://IP/) alongside a physical copy of Lucid's 64-bit mini.iso. (This is on an R300, FWIW)

The "auto installation" section of the 10.04 manual (https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/installation-guide/amd64/preseed-using.html#preseed-auto) suggests that booting with just "linux auto url="" href="http://10.0.0.5/config" target="_blank">http://10.1.2.3/config" is both valid and sufficient. I'm finding, however, that I get a VFS panic very early on, as detailed in this screenshot: http://jpluscplusm.com/auto-install-failure.png.

* How I've troubleshot so far:

I successfully installed from the same mini.iso CD on this machine previously. DHCP is known to be working and handing out working DNS in a timely fashion. I've tried adding "raid=noautodetect" to the kernel params to no avail (as per the screenshot). I've also tried adding "interface=auto dhcp_timeout=60" and many permutations of these params.

Any thoughts? Is auto-install supported by the Lucid mini.iso? Am i missing some net-related preseed params/config which wouldn't need explicitly stating if I'd PXE'd the image over (i.e. local network config would be known-good)?

Many thanks,

Jonathan