Old 12-02-2010, 06:33 PM
MR ZenWiz

Default Recommendations for a high-power motherboard

I'm constructing a wish list of my next round of purchases to upgrade
my home PC.

Any recommendations for a dual-socket (prefer AMD) server-strength
motherboard? I'm thinking of getting two X4 or X6 CPUs and a lot of
memory (8+GB). i7s are also possible (but WAY more expensive, hence
the "prefer AMD").

Old 12-02-2010, 11:30 PM
Christopher Chan

On Friday, December 03, 2010 03:33 AM, MR ZenWiz wrote:
> I'm constructing a wish list of my next round of purchases to upgrade
> my home PC.
>
> Any recommendations for a dual-socket (prefer AMD) server-strength
> motherboard? I'm thinking of getting two X4 or X6 CPUs and a lot of
> memory (8+GB). i7s are also possible (but WAY more expensive, hence
> the "prefer AMD").

I would recommend Supermicro AMD boards. If you have high bandwidth
needs, go for a dual SR5690 chipset board perhaps like this one.
http://www.supermicro.com/Aplus/motherboard/Opteron2000/SR56x0/H8DAi_-F.cfm

OH...hang on a minute...you're looking for boards that take Phenoms?

Sorry, I don't think there are any dual socket AM2/AM3 motherboards out
there.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Sandy Harris

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 3:33 AM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm constructing a wish list of my next round of purchases to upgrade
> my home PC.

Not what you asked about, but consider a solid state disk.

Your mileage may of course vary, but for my desktop usage
(90% Firefox & OpenOffice with the odd bit of DrScheme),
adding an SSD made more difference in perceived speed
than either a CPU upgrade (1.6 GHz single-core Atom to
3 GHz dual-core i3) or increasing RAM from 2 to 8 gigs.

If you do a lot of compilation or database work, where
the extra cores and RAM can get a workout, then this
is almost certainly rather poor advice. Otherwise, it is
worth considering.