FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-02-2010, 01:15 PM
Hammad
 
Default Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9

Hi All,

I am facing a sever problem. I got my new VPS (10GB storage, 256mb RAM) and got Ubuntu Jaunty installed (9.0.4).
My kernel does not support IPSec even. when I run depmode, it gives below problem.


root@flexilogix:~# depmod -a
WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory





Can you please help how can I overcome this problem. Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Regards,
Hammad


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Alan Pope
 
Default Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9

On 2 December 2010 14:15, Hammad <raohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am facing a sever problem. I got my new VPS (10GB storage, 256mb RAM) and
> got Ubuntu Jaunty installed (9.0.4).

The first thing I'd do is get the provider to re-provision it with
10.04 on it. 9.04 is no longer supported with bug and security fixes.

Al.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 01:59 PM
Jordon Bedwell
 
Default Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9

On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Hammad wrote:Hi All,

I am facing a sever problem. I got my new VPS (10GB storage, 256mb RAM) and got Ubuntu Jaunty installed (9.0.4).
My kernel does not support IPSec even. when I run depmode, it gives below problem.


root@flexilogix:~# depmod -a
WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory





Can you please help how can I overcome this problem. Thanks for your help in anticipation.

Who is the company that your VPS is with so I can see their arch and help you out.If they don't use Xen I can't help you though.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Tom H
 
Default Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Hammad wrote:
>
> I am facing a sever problem. I got my new VPS (10GB storage, 256mb RAM) and
> got Ubuntu Jaunty installed (9.0.4).
> My kernel does not support IPSec even. when I run depmode, it gives below
> problem.
>
> root@flexilogix:~# depmod -a
> WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9: No such
> file or directory
> FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9/modules.dep.temp for
> writing: No such file or directory
>
>
> Can you please help how can I overcome this problem. Thanks for your help in
> anticipation.
>
> Who is the company that your VPS is with so I can see their arch and help
> you out.
> If they don't use Xen I can't help you though.

Unless it was a typo, 2.6.18-028stab068.9 isn't a Jaunty kernel
(2.6.28, I think).

2.6.18 looks like a RHEL/CentOS install; "-028..." is who knows what.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Jordon Bedwell
 
Default Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9

On Dec 2, 2010, at 9:14 AM, Tom H wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
>> On Dec 2, 2010, at 8:15 AM, Hammad wrote:
>>
>> I am facing a sever problem. I got my new VPS (10GB storage, 256mb RAM) and
>> got Ubuntu Jaunty installed (9.0.4).
>> My kernel does not support IPSec even. when I run depmode, it gives below
>> problem.
>>
>> root@flexilogix:~# depmod -a
>> WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9: No such
>> file or directory
>> FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab068.9/modules.dep.temp for
>> writing: No such file or directory
>>
>>
>> Can you please help how can I overcome this problem. Thanks for your help in
>> anticipation.
>>
>> Who is the company that your VPS is with so I can see their arch and help
>> you out.
>> If they don't use Xen I can't help you though.
>
> Unless it was a typo, 2.6.18-028stab068.9 isn't a Jaunty kernel
> (2.6.28, I think).
>
> 2.6.18 looks like a RHEL/CentOS install; "-028..." is who knows what.

A lot of VPS providers do not use paravirt so they are on an older kernel that lines up with RHEL, they backport security patches.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:54 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org