Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 AM
"Douglas S. Saylor"

Default Printing problems: Blurry print in black (Updated info)

I'm getting blurry printing in BLACK ink from Evolution & Open
Office. I was even thinking it might be some special effect! I exported
to a *.pdf file & set printer to gray-scale, prints correctly. I'm
closer! So how do I get Ubuntu printing correctly everywhere else?

Old 12-06-2010, 01:15 AM
Tommy Trussell

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Douglas S. Saylor <absdoug@gmail.com> wrote:
> * I'm getting blurry printing in BLACK ink from Evolution & Open
> Office. I was even thinking it might be some special effect! I exported
> to a *.pdf file & set printer to gray-scale, prints correctly. I'm
> closer! So how do I get Ubuntu printing correctly everywhere else?

It sounds like the applications might be trying to print everything in
a color that is getting translated to a gray-scale dithered pattern.
You don't give any specifics -- what printer? When you set up the
printer driver, did it offer more than one choice? Sometimes there is
more than one driver to choose from and the one that got chosen
doesn't do so well. Make sure the model of your printer matches the
model that shows up in Ubuntu.

You can try opening System-->Administration-->Printing and deleting
the driver, then disconnecting and re-connecting your printer and
setting it up again. Watch very carefully to see that the exact model
and options match your printer. If you installed a special printer
driver (instead of the one that came with Ubuntu), check the
documentation for it.

Also you can right-click the icon for the printer and see what
properties are available. There may be a setting that has gone askew.