Old 12-02-2010, 03:27 AM
Mark

Default Jousting? Really?

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 03:23 PM, Mark wrote:
>>
>> Or do you have an issue with this that I/we should know?
>>

> Do you have a resolution for the OP? If not then perhaps it might be
> better to not spend time jousting in OT subthreads with others.

I wasn't jousting, I was asking if there was something else about
Synaptic vs. other such tools I/we should know.

I guess it's terrible form now for someone to answer a question and
ask one in return. I'll try not to do that any more, since it's such
an offensive idea. Perhaps we shouldn't provide advice, either.
How's that?

Or, just maybe it would be better for the list members NOT to assume
hostility behind the text on the screen when there might not be any,
and in so doing generate the same.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:17 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/02/2010 03:27 PM, Mark wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> On 12/01/2010 03:23 PM, Mark wrote:
>>
>>> Or do you have an issue with this that I/we should know?
>>>

>> Do you have a resolution for the OP? If not then perhaps it might be
>> better to not spend time jousting in OT subthreads with others.
>>

> I wasn't jousting, I was asking if there was something else about
> Synaptic vs. other such tools I/we should know.
>
> I guess it's terrible form now for someone to answer a question and
> ask one in return. I'll try not to do that any more, since it's such
> an offensive idea. Perhaps we shouldn't provide advice, either.
> How's that?
>
> Or, just maybe it would be better for the list members NOT to assume
> hostility behind the text on the screen when there might not be any,
> and in so doing generate the same.

Amen, but you asking for a heck of a lot......

BC

--
Attorney: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness: Are you qualified to ask that question?

Old 12-06-2010, 05:23 PM
Dick Dowdell

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

On 12/02/2010 03:27 PM, Mark wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> On 12/01/2010 03:23 PM, Mark wrote:

>>> Or do you have an issue with this that I/we should know?

>> Do you have a resolution for the OP? If not then perhaps it might be

>> better to not spend time jousting in OT subthreads with others.

> I wasn't jousting, I was asking if there was something else about

> Synaptic vs. other such tools I/we should know.

> I guess it's terrible form now for someone to answer a question and

> ask one in return. *I'll try not to do that any more, since it's such

> an offensive idea. *Perhaps we shouldn't provide advice, either.

> How's that?

> Or, just maybe it would be better for the list members NOT to assume

> hostility behind the text on the screen when there might not be any,

> and in so doing generate the same.

Amen, but you asking for a heck of a lot......

BC

--

Attorney: * *Are you qualified to give a urine sample?

Witness: * *Are you qualified to ask that question?

Amen as well.* I sometimes get the impression that not all of our colleagues on this list have reached adulthood.* Users of Ubuntu come in all ages, shapes, sizes, and cultures.* To take offense where none is intended evokes the schoolyard, not a serious support list.
*
Regards,Dick DowdellH/O: 508-528-4018* Mobile: 508-498-7919

Old 12-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Ric Moore

On Mon, 2010-12-06 at 22:17 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 12/02/2010 03:27 PM, Mark wrote:

> >> Do you have a resolution for the OP? If not then perhaps it might be
> >> better to not spend time jousting in OT subthreads with others.
> >>

> > I wasn't jousting, I was asking if there was something else about
> > Synaptic vs. other such tools I/we should know.
> >
> > I guess it's terrible form now for someone to answer a question and
> > ask one in return. I'll try not to do that any more, since it's such
> > an offensive idea. Perhaps we shouldn't provide advice, either.
> > How's that?
> >
> > Or, just maybe it would be better for the list members NOT to assume
> > hostility behind the text on the screen when there might not be any,
> > and in so doing generate the same.
> >

> Amen, but you asking for a heck of a lot......

World Peace and Brotherly Love? <chortles> Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> World Peace and Brotherly Love? <chortles> Ric

"We are the United States government. We don't do that sort of thing."
- Abbott (James Earl Jones), "Sneakers"

Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Basil Chupin

On 07/12/2010 05:23, Dick Dowdell wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au
> <mailto:blchupin@iinet.net.au>> wrote:
>
> On 12/02/2010 03:27 PM, Mark wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net
> <mailto:glgxg@sbcglobal.net>> wrote:

> >> Do you have a resolution for the OP? If not then perhaps it
> might be
> >> better to not spend time jousting in OT subthreads with others.
> >>

> > I wasn't jousting, I was asking if there was something else about
> > Synaptic vs. other such tools I/we should know.
> >
> > I guess it's terrible form now for someone to answer a question and
> > ask one in return. I'll try not to do that any more, since
> it's such
> > an offensive idea. Perhaps we shouldn't provide advice, either.
> > How's that?
> >
> > Or, just maybe it would be better for the list members NOT to assume
> > hostility behind the text on the screen when there might not be any,
> > and in so doing generate the same.
> >

> Amen, but you asking for a heck of a lot......
>
> BC
>

> Amen as well. I sometimes get the impression that not all of our
> colleagues on this list have reached adulthood. Users of Ubuntu come
> in all ages, shapes, sizes, and cultures. To take offense where none
> is intended evokes the schoolyard, not a serious support list.

Only several minutes ago I posted a private post to a colleague of mine
which stated that as far as I am concerned most people (except him and
I) who post here are old fa**s - and that I have yet to identify anyone
who is 30 years old or less.

No young people participate in this list and therefore do not post here.

But what impresses me the most is that this list IS inhabited by people
of different cultures. I think that this is absolutely marvellous.

While I agree with you that users of Ubuntu come in all ages, shapes,
sizes, and cultures, the young ones don't post here and some of the
old-fa**s who do post have yet to reach adulthood: they are still living
out their days of glory when they were school yard bullies, and pulling
wings off butterflies.

Regards,

BC

Old 12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Ian Coetzee

On 07/12/2010 13:10, Basil Chupin wrote:

<Snippage>
> Only several minutes ago I posted a private post to a colleague of mine
> which stated that as far as I am concerned most people (except him and
> I) who post here are old fa**s - and that I have yet to identify anyone
> who is 30 years old or less.
Well you found one
> No young people participate in this list and therefore do not post here.
If you will forgive me, I happen to be of the younger than 30 year olds
that you mentioned earlier.
> But what impresses me the most is that this list IS inhabited by people
> of different cultures. I think that this is absolutely marvellous.
>
> While I agree with you that users of Ubuntu come in all ages, shapes,
> sizes, and cultures, the young ones don't post here and some of the
> old-fa**s who do post have yet to reach adulthood: they are still living
> out their days of glory when they were school yard bullies, and pulling
> wings off butterflies.
>
> Regards,
>
> BC
Regards
Ian

Old 12-07-2010, 11:48 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 13:16:16 -0800
MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > World Peace and Brotherly Love? <chortles> Ric
> >

> "We are the United States government. We don't do that sort of thing."
> - Abbott (James Earl Jones), "Sneakers"

Nine scariest words in the English language according to Ronald Reagan:
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 12-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Basil Chupin

On 07/12/2010 23:39, Ian Coetzee wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 13:10, Basil Chupin wrote:
>
> <Snippage>
>> Only several minutes ago I posted a private post to a colleague of mine
>> which stated that as far as I am concerned most people (except him and
>> I) who post here are old fa**s - and that I have yet to identify anyone
>> who is 30 years old or less.
> Well you found one

HOORAH!

YAHOO!

Someone who is not an old fart!

Welcome to the Club! :-)

>> No young people participate in this list and therefore do not post here.
> If you will forgive me, I happen to be of the younger than 30 year olds
> that you mentioned earlier.

As I just stated above, HOORAH! and all that sort of celebratory
expressions :-) . To come across someone who is not an old fart is quite
something.......

May you post in this list for many, many years into the future......

BC

Old 12-07-2010, 12:22 PM
Ian Coetzee

On 07/12/2010 15:00, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 07/12/2010 23:39, Ian Coetzee wrote:
>> On 07/12/2010 13:10, Basil Chupin wrote:
>>
>> <Snippage>
>>> Only several minutes ago I posted a private post to a colleague of mine
>>> which stated that as far as I am concerned most people (except him and
>>> I) who post here are old fa**s - and that I have yet to identify anyone
>>> who is 30 years old or less.
>> Well you found one
> HOORAH!
>
> YAHOO!
>
> Someone who is not an old fart!
>
> Welcome to the Club! :-)

Thank you

>>> No young people participate in this list and therefore do not post here.
>> If you will forgive me, I happen to be of the younger than 30 year olds
>> that you mentioned earlier.
> As I just stated above, HOORAH! and all that sort of celebratory
> expressions :-) . To come across someone who is not an old fart is quite
> something.......
>
> May you post in this list for many, many years into the future......
>
> BC

Hmm, well at the moment I am still soaking up all the info I can from
this list, only after that will I start posting solutions.

Regards
Ian