Old 12-02-2010, 01:40 AM
Mark

Default safely Remove Drive

I haven't seen anything on this issue lately, and it's driving me up
the wall. As I posted recently, on the machine I am testing (Dell
Precision 5500, 8cores, 4GB RAM, tiny disk) with a fresh, updated
install of 10.10, when I right-click a USB drive icon and click the
"Safely Remove Drive" link it works, first time, just the way I'd
expect it to.

However, on my main desktop at home (hand-crafted, X4, 4GB RAM, disk
to spare, fully updated fresh install of 10.10), I have to do this
routine twice (right-click, select the "S-R-D" link) before it
releases the flash drive.

I dumped the entire gnome configuration on each machine and compared
them, and the differences are all what I'd expect to see - absolutely
nothing stands out as even related to this (and the ones that looked
mildly suspicious all turned out to be red herrings).

Could it have anything to do with the hardware itself? The machines
are significantly different at that level, but except for the specific
variety of packages that are loaded onto each, the software is pretty
close.

Baffled.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:18 AM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Smokin Chevy <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would suspect it to be a driver issue with having different HW.

I'd suspect that, too, except . . . it's on UNIVERSAL Serial Bus flash
drives - the driver should behave the same way on all hardware (and
the hardware should behave the same way on all platforms). That was
part of the point of having a USB in the first place.

(Please do not top post on this list.)

Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Smokin Chevy

But what about the drivers for the USB controller?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:30 PM
Mark

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 8:32 PM, Smokin Chevy <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com> wrote:
> But what about the drivers for the USB controller?
>
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 10:18 PM, MR ZenWiz <mrzenwiz@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Smokin Chevy <chevy4x4burb@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > I would suspect it to be a driver issue with having different HW.
>> >
>> I'd suspect that, too, except . . . it's on UNIVERSAL Serial Bus flash
>> drives - the driver should behave the same way on all hardware (and
>> the hardware should behave the same way on all platforms). *That was
>> part of the point of having a USB in the first place.
>>
>> (Please do not top post on this list.)

You may have hit on something here.

My home desktop has two nvidia MCP61 USB controllers on it, one
running the ohci_hcd driver, the other running the ehci_hcd driver.
There are 7 working USB ports on the box (#8 doesn't work), but they
all function the same way (double operation required).

The Dell test machine has eight Intel 82801JI USB controllers, 2 using
the ehci_hcd driver and the other 6 using the uhci_hcd driver. Three
are 8 USB ports on the box that all behave exactly the same way
(single operation).

I'm still not sure how much that means, but the differences in the h/w
may be significant.

(sigh)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:30 -0800, Mark wrote:

> You may have hit on something here.
>
> My home desktop has two nvidia MCP61 USB controllers on it, one
> running the ohci_hcd driver, the other running the ehci_hcd driver.
> There are 7 working USB ports on the box (#8 doesn't work), but they
> all function the same way (double operation required).
>
> The Dell test machine has eight Intel 82801JI USB controllers, 2 using
> the ehci_hcd driver and the other 6 using the uhci_hcd driver. Three
> are 8 USB ports on the box that all behave exactly the same way
> (single operation).
>
> I'm still not sure how much that means, but the differences in the h/w
> may be significant.
>
> (sigh)

Time for me to make a contribution perhaps.

lspci says nearly everything on this PC appears to be nvidia, including
the USB.

I've got a couple of 8GB flash drives branded Dane Elec, which need two
safely remove operations. So does a Samsung 2GB drive.

If I plug in a SanDisk 4GB compact flash card with a cheap reader/writer
that I got from 7dayshop, it again takes two operations.

If I plug in a SanDisk Ultra 15MB/s SD card with the same cheap reader,
it safely removes with one operation. ?????

My son's PC which I'm about to replace for him (I was asking about
graphics cards a couple of days ago) is a P4 with a motherboard
manufactured by Intel themselves apparently so it probably won't have
nvidia USB chips on it. Next time it's on I'll investigate with the same
devices.

Dave

Old 12-03-2010, 08:37 AM
David Fletcher

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 11:30 -0800, Mark wrote:

> You may have hit on something here.

Yes I think he has indeed hit on something.

I just took the same two 8GB flash drives I mentioned last night which
need two safely remove operations on my PC with nvidia USB devices and
tried them on my son's PC.

THEY BOTH SAFELY REMOVE AT THE FIRST ATTEMPT!

On that PC, lspci shows that the USB chips are Intel devices.

So there, I think, may be the problem. Something to do with whatever
code drives the nvidia USB motherboard devices.

Hope this helps focus attention in the correct direction now.

Has anybody submitted a bug report about this?

Dave

Old 12-03-2010, 09:13 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 1:37 AM, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:

> Yes I think he has indeed hit on something.
>
> I just took the same two 8GB flash drives I mentioned last night which
> need two safely remove operations on my PC with nvidia USB devices and
> tried them on my son's PC.
>
> THEY BOTH SAFELY REMOVE AT THE FIRST ATTEMPT!
>
> On that PC, lspci shows that the USB chips are Intel devices.
>
> So there, I think, may be the problem. Something to do with whatever
> code drives the nvidia USB motherboard devices.
>
> Hope this helps focus attention in the correct direction now.
>
> Has anybody submitted a bug report about this?

Launchpad bug #624755 - feel free to login and add your comments. I did.