FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Richard Atcheson
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

I'm new to Ubuntu but had used Suse from 6.1 til 11.3 and dropped
them cause they developed the attitude that if you dont like what we
give you then do it yourselves.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 having upgraded from 10.04 a month or so
ago. My mail agent is Kmail and up til a few weeks ago it worked fine.
If I clicked on a url in a message it opened in Firefox. Then strangely,
one day it opened in Openoffice.org. Suse had a location in the
control center that allowed one to select what app handled urls, html,
etc.

I have been unable to find that in Ubuntu. I've googled and googled
and searched the help and manuals but so far no luck. When I click a
url in kmail or any other app but Firefox, a small window pops up for a
few seconds then Openoffice.org fires up and tries to get the web page
and partially succeeds.

I've gone to System>Preferences>Preferred Applications. Firefox is my
default Browser with Open Link with web browser default checked.
Nothing I do there makes any difference.

Can anyone give me a hint?


By the way, I'm very impressed with Ubuntu, but I guess that's not
new for you people. The only thing I miss from my suse days is their
YAST for setting up system things especially the wireless stuff.
Fortunately ubuntu has that so automatic that knowing how to diddle
the wireless is not really necessary.

Thanks,
Richard

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Thierry de Coulon
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 10:58:41 pm Richard Atcheson wrote:
> I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 having upgraded from 10.04 a month or so
> ago. My mail agent is Kmail and up til a few weeks ago it worked fine.
> If I clicked on a url in a message it opened in Firefox. Then strangely,
> one day it opened in Openoffice.org. Suse had a location in the
> control center that allowed one to select what app handled urls, html,
> etc.

I don't know for urls, for html you can right click on a file, then "Open
with" and "Other Application". If you choose your preferd application and
makes sure that "Remeber this application for "HTML document" files" is
checked it should do what you want.

I don't know where the setting is saved, however.

Thierry


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM
MR ZenWiz
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch> wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2010 10:58:41 pm Richard Atcheson wrote:
>> I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 having upgraded from 10.04 a month or so
>> ago. *My mail agent is Kmail and up til a few weeks ago it worked fine.
>> If I clicked on a url in a message it opened in Firefox. *Then strangely,
>> one day it opened in Openoffice.org. * *Suse had a location in the
>> control center that allowed one to select what app handled urls, html,
>> etc.
>
> I don't know for urls, for html you can right click on a file, then "Open
> with" and "Other Application". If you choose your preferd application and
> makes sure that "Remeber this application for "HTML document" files" is
> checked it should do what you want.
>
> I don't know where the setting is saved, however.
>
I prefer Gnome to KDE myself, but doesn't Konqueror handle these (like
Nautilus does in Gnome)?

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Thierry de Coulon
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Thursday 02 December 2010 12:26:01 am MR ZenWiz wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Thierry de Coulon <tcoulon@decoulon.ch>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 01 December 2010 10:58:41 pm Richard Atcheson wrote:
> >> I'm using Ubuntu 10.10 having upgraded from 10.04 a month or so
> >> ago. *My mail agent is Kmail and up til a few weeks ago it worked fine.
> >> If I clicked on a url in a message it opened in Firefox. *Then
> >> strangely, one day it opened in Openoffice.org. * *Suse had a location
> >> in the control center that allowed one to select what app handled urls,
> >> html, etc.
> >
> > I don't know for urls, for html you can right click on a file, then "Open
> > with" and "Other Application". If you choose your preferd application and
> > makes sure that "Remeber this application for "HTML document" files" is
> > checked it should do what you want.
> >
> > I don't know where the setting is saved, however.
>
> I prefer Gnome to KDE myself, but doesn't Konqueror handle these (like
> Nautilus does in Gnome)?

We need to precise what the OP is running. From his question I thought he was
using Kmail on a Gnome Desktop. Theoretically if he's using KDE then the
settings should be done in the KDE Control (although I don't know what it has
become in KDE 4).

Thierry


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Richard Atcheson
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 16:48:46 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> I don't know for urls, for html you can right click on a file, then "Open
> with" and "Other Application". If you choose your preferd application
and
> makes sure that "Remeber this application for "HTML document" files"
is
> checked it should do what you want.

I had looked for a similar item for URLs but in kmail if I right click on the
url the menu is small and one option is to open in default browser which
goes into the Openoffice.org thing. No other choice available.

>
> I don't know where the setting is saved, however

Me neither.
Richar

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Richard Atcheson
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Wednesday 01 December 2010 23:20:04 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
> We need to precise what the OP is running. From his question I thought
he
> was using Kmail on a Gnome Desktop. Theoretically if he's using KDE
then
> the settings should be done in the KDE Control (although I don't know
what
> it has become in KDE 4).
Thierry;
I'm using Gnome Desktop. The only kde app I'm using is Kmail which I
brought over from Opensuse KDE4 which sucked so badly I quit anything
suse. As to KDE Control, that is what was used with the KDE Desktop but It
aint there on Gnome and I havent found the equivalent. Hence, my current
question.

Were I able to bring my emails from Kmail to Evolution easily, I would
eliminate all things kde. I did bring Kmail to Thunderbird but that was a
long, messy thing and I had to get my wife to accept its differences from
Kmail. I had to convert the kmail maildir format to mbox then do a drag
and drop to Thunderbird. Not fun! I tried to set up Evolution but so far no
real luck. I havent located where the Port number is set for pop so it wont
get my emails from gmail.com. The help manual didnt.

Richard



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM
NoOp
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On 12/02/2010 01:46 PM, Richard Atcheson wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 December 2010 23:20:04 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
>> We need to precise what the OP is running. From his question I thought
> he
>> was using Kmail on a Gnome Desktop. Theoretically if he's using KDE
> then
>> the settings should be done in the KDE Control (although I don't know
> what
>> it has become in KDE 4).
> Thierry;
> I'm using Gnome Desktop. The only kde app I'm using is Kmail which I
...
Ah. OK - when you open System|Preferences|Preferred Applications, what
is in the 'Command:' for both 'Browser' and 'Mail Reader'?

Can you also provide the output of:

$ cat
/usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/gnome-default-applications.xml
| grep kmail



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Thierry de Coulon
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Thursday 02 December 2010 10:46:49 pm Richard Atcheson wrote:
> I'm using Gnome Desktop. The only kde app I'm using is Kmail which I
> brought over from Opensuse KDE4 which sucked so badly I quit anything
> suse.

Agreed, that's why I am on Ubuntu/Gnome now too. the only difference is that I
use Kmail from Trinity (KDE 3.5.12)... and it does load urls in my default
Gnome Browser. I have tried other mailers but none are as good as KMail for
me.

> As to KDE Control, that is what was used with the KDE Desktop but It
> aint there on Gnome and I havent found the equivalent. Hence, my current
> question.

I have the feeling that KDE elements use KDE settings. Have you tried
installing the KDE(4) control and change the settings there?

Thierry


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 15:46 -0600, Richard Atcheson wrote:
> I tried to set up Evolution but so far no
> real luck. I havent located where the Port number is set for pop so it wont
> get my emails from gmail.com. The help manual didnt.

easy peesy, just edit your email account preferences:

- In Identity
Name: ( I use "personal")
Full Name: enter your name
Email Address: username@gmail.com

- in Receiving Email your server is: pop.gmail.com
your user name is your username@gmail.com (insert YOUR username)
set security to SSL encryption
Click Remember Password

- in Sending Email
server type is SMTP
Server is smtp.gmail.com
Use Secure Connection - TLS encryption
Auth - PLAIN
username username@gmail.com (insert YOUR unsername)


Hit the send/Receive button on the Evolution tool bar and, after a few
seconds, it should ask for your passwd. Send an email and it should ask
for your passwd. It should remember this.

IF THIS FAILS! Login to your gmail account, via the web. If someone has
spoofed your email address, gmail will want you to jump through some
hoops to prove you are who you say you are. Once you have done that,
then evolution should be able to receive and send email. Enjoy. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-02-2010, 10:56 PM
Richard Atcheson
 
Default Clicking on URl in Kmail opens OPenoffice.org

On Thursday 02 December 2010 16:22:25 NoOp wrote:
> Ah. OK - when you open System|Preferences|Preferred Applications, what
> is in the 'Command:' for both 'Browser' and 'Mail Reader'?

Browser= Firefox

Mail Reader= kmail
>
> Can you also provide the output of:
>
> $ cat
> /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-apps/gnome-default-applications.xml
>
> | grep kmail

richard@richard-Inspiron-1545:~$ cat /usr/share/gnome-control-center/default-
apps/gnome-default-applications.xml | grep kmail
<executable>kmail</executable>
<command>kmail %s</command>
<icon-name>kmail</icon-name>

Richard

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org