Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
Matt Johnson

Default Migrating ubuntu ltsp on 10.04 to another 10.04 server

A couple of things from an ltsp,*ubuntu and ubuntu-users newbie. Please point out the obvious as it may well not be obvious to me!
1. Where would be a good place to write up a UK primary school Ubuntu LTSP real success
story?
2. Can anyone think of any errors or potential pitfalls in my plan to migrate Ubuntu LTSP services from one 10.04 server to another 10.04 server on significantly different (newer) hardware?
I plan to:
* Install the ltsp server cleanly using the ltsp option on the alternate cd;
* Copy passwd, shadow, group, gshadow to new server and set permissions for those files the same as old server;
* Tar up,
scp across, untar the /home directory (and expect ownerships to be preserved);*
* Copy to new server:
**/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf, **/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf, **/etc/smb/smb.conf, **/opt/ltsp directory.
(Then install apps and printers to match old server)
Comments, pre-emptive error spotting and suggestions welcome.
Thanks in advance.
--*Matt

Old 12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
NoOp

On 12/01/2010 09:43 AM, Matt Johnson wrote:
> A couple of things from an ltsp, ubuntu and ubuntu-users newbie. Please point
> out the obvious as it may well not be obvious to me!
>
> 1. Where would be a good place to write up a UK primary school Ubuntu LTSP real
> success story?

I'd recommend:
http://edubuntu.org/

> 2. Can anyone think of any errors or potential pitfalls in my plan to migrate
> Ubuntu LTSP services from one 10.04 server to another 10.04 server on
> significantly different (newer) hardware?

Again edubuntu:
http://edubuntu.org/documentation
http://edubuntu.org/community
Lots of excellent resources/assistance w/LSTP - particularly on the
edubuntu list & IRC.