Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Matthew Macdonald-Wallace

Default Using Kickstart to force a local boot

Hi,

I've got a system which delivers kickstarts based on the kssendmac
values and it works fine for building systems, however it means I need
to update the tftp pxelinux.cfg dir everytime a server builds to avoid
it rebuilding on every boot.

Is there a flag that I can return as part of a kickstart file which will
'force' the system to boot from local disk instead, or am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Old 12-06-2010, 11:13 AM
Martin Sivak

Since the machines have BIOS set up to boot from network and kickstart processing means they are already booted from network source, no there is no easy way to do it from kickstart. You really have to modify the PXE configs every time after the install finishes.

--
Martin Sivák
msivak@redhat.com

Old 12-06-2010, 11:21 AM
Matt Wallace

On Monday 06 Dec 2010 12:13:56 Martin Sivak wrote:
> Since the machines have BIOS set up to boot from network and kickstart
> processing means they are already booted from network source, no there is
> no easy way to do it from kickstart. You really have to modify the PXE
> configs every time after the install finishes.

OK, thanks. I feared as much, it just means setting all devices to boot from
HDD first and the PXE if the OS is not found...

M.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
David Michael

Hi,

On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 7:21 AM, Matt Wallace
<lists@truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
> OK, thanks. I feared as much, it just means setting all devices to boot from
> HDD first and the PXE if the OS is not found...

At a previous job a while ago, we had machines network booting based
off their IP range (using a pxelinux config file name with only six or
seven hex digits instead of eight for specifying the full IP address).

I made a web form which created the eight-char files configured to
do the kickstart installation, and there was a separate script which
deleted the file based off the IP address that accessed the script.
The kickstart post script section then just had something at the end
like:

curl -s http://kickstart/cgi-bin/finished

This obviously assumes that you're running a web server on the same
machine as the tftp server and that you can use network booting for
every machine (even if it's just using the instruction to tell it to
locally boot). You'll also need a quick SELinux module to allow those
tftp files to be created and deleted by httpd, but this is one method
that solved automating another step of the installs for me.

Cheers