Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Colin Law

Default while watching flash streams cpu fan makes noise and heats too much

On 1 December 2010 16:23, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am not sure how do I begin or what logs should I check.
> I have observed it many many times.
> When I am watching a streaming video from internet then in some time,I
> see that the CPU fan of my laptop
> and upon touching the area near by (which can be keys above the CPU
> fan) I see extreme amount of heat emitted.
> Is this normal or I need to check some thing?

If you use top or the System Monitor I expect you will find that the
CPU is running at a high percentage. When it works hard it generates
more heat, it gets hotter and the fan goes faster. You may of course
have a problem with the fan or heat sink that makes it run hotter than
it should but if it has been doing this for a long time and has not
melted then it is probably ok.

Colin

Old 12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Smokin Chevy

Also, make sure that you are using a good thermal compound.* I use arctic silver 5 myself.* I have heard that ceramique (sp?) is better but haven't tried.

Old 12-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Alan Pope

On 1 December 2010 16:23, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this normal or I need to check some thing?

It's pretty normal for the proprietary flash plugin to eat up a lot of
CPU time, yes. For a poorly cooled machine this can be problematic.

Al.

Old 12-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Luis Paulo

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 17:23, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 1 December 2010 16:23, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Is this normal or I need to check some thing?
>>

> It's pretty normal for the proprietary flash plugin to eat up a lot of
> CPU time, yes. For a poorly cooled machine this can be problematic.
>
> Al.

Specially if I see the video in full screen
Probably as expected, if so just to state the obvious, maybe the OP
does that too.

A support with fans for the laptop may minimize the heat.
As said, a laptop cleaning/revision/changing the laptop fan may help.