Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar

Default Evolution not online?

Hello there,

I have Ubuntu 10.10 , using Gnome, I use Evolution at the office but at
home when i go on-line via modem my Evolution does not go on-line, is
there anything else i need to do for this to work and download my
messages to my preferred email client, instead, and in the mean time i
am using Thunderbird.
Any suggestions.
Tommie

--
------
Tomas Alberto Ramirez-Andujar, MSC, PA

Old 12-01-2010, 01:54 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 07:51 -0500, Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I have Ubuntu 10.10 , using Gnome, I use Evolution at the office but at
> home when i go on-line via modem my Evolution does not go on-line, is
> there anything else i need to do for this to work and download my
> messages to my preferred email client, instead, and in the mean time i
> am using Thunderbird.

After you connect: alt-f alt-w or File -> Work online (in the English
version); can't tell you what the Spanish translation would be if you're
using a localized version for Cuba.

--
Pongo

Old 12-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Alan Pope

On 1 December 2010 12:51, Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar
<tramirez@educamaguey.rimed.cu> wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 10.10 , using Gnome, I use Evolution at the office but at
> home when i go on-line via modem my Evolution does not *go on-line, is
> there anything else i need to do for this to work and download my
> messages to my preferred email client, instead, and in the mean time i
> am using Thunderbird.

Evolution tries to figure out if you're online from network manager.
If you're using some other dialler then Evolution probably thinks
you're offline. There's an option under the File menu to go online.

Cheers,
Al.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Ric Moore

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 14:56 +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> On 1 December 2010 12:51, Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar
> <tramirez@educamaguey.rimed.cu> wrote:
> > I have Ubuntu 10.10 , using Gnome, I use Evolution at the office but at
> > home when i go on-line via modem my Evolution does not go on-line, is
> > there anything else i need to do for this to work and download my
> > messages to my preferred email client, instead, and in the mean time i
> > am using Thunderbird.
>
> Evolution tries to figure out if you're online from network manager.
> If you're using some other dialler then Evolution probably thinks
> you're offline. There's an option under the File menu to go online.

Just look in the lower left hand corner... you should see =()= which
means it's connected. If you see =( )= then you're set to working
offline (not connected) and need to click on it to go into connected
mode. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar

Hi, thank you all for your replays regarding the online ofline issue but
none of the mentioned option are active, i am aware of the
offline-online indicator in Ev but no luck with that working. I manage
to get online automatically with Thunderbird but that's not my no.1
choice. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
Tommie
--
------

Old 12-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Ric Moore

On Thu, 2010-12-02 at 08:36 -0500, Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar wrote:
> Hi, thank you all for your replays regarding the online ofline issue but
> none of the mentioned option are active, i am aware of the
> offline-online indicator in Ev but no luck with that working. I manage
> to get online automatically with Thunderbird but that's not my no.1
> choice. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

I'd suggest not top-posting in the future. Thanks, Ric

Linux user# 44256

Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM
NoOp

On 12/02/2010 05:36 AM, Tomas Alberto Ramirez Andujar wrote:
> Hi, thank you all for your replays regarding the online ofline issue but
> none of the mentioned option are active, i am aware of the
> offline-online indicator in Ev but no luck with that working. I manage
> to get online automatically with Thunderbird but that's not my no.1
> choice. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
> Thanks
> Tommie

Please bottom post on this list (meaning to put your reply below mine) -
thanks :-)

As Alan mentioned it appears to be Network Manager (NM) related:
http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ
<http://live.gnome.org/Evolution/FAQ#Why_is_Evolution_offline_when_my_net_connectio n_is_working.3F>

Given that you are using dialup, Evo is probably not seeing connect
information from NM. So let's try looking in launchpad to see if there
are any related bugs there:

https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=evolution+%2Bdialup

Looks like a few prospects there... But this looks like the Mother Ship:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/191889?comments=all>
[[MASTER] [WORKAROUND] "Offline Mode" feature fails to detect proper
online state for networks that are managed outside of network manager.]

Maybe you can try Workaround 2:
<quote>
Workaround 2: (make NM to be always online) ->
add a non existing interface to /etc/network/interfaces, like:

iface eth1000 inet dhcp
</quote>

More:
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/82335>
[network-manager should not set offline mode when it manages no device]

Good luck as it doesn't look like an easy fix.