Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Tom H

Default What does the following apt-get response mean?

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 2:14 AM, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:

> What does the following apt-get response mean?
>
> * *root@mymachine:/ 520# apt-get upgrade
> * *Reading package lists... Done
> * *Building dependency tree
> * *Reading state information... Done
> * *The following packages have been kept back:
> * * *linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> * *0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>
> Why won't it upgrade it?

What's the output of "apt-get --simulate dist-upgrade"?

Old 12-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Tom H

Old 12-01-2010, 07:00 AM

Dotan Cohen writes:
> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 09:14, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:
> >
> > What does the following apt-get response mean?
> >
> > * *root@mymachine:/ 520# apt-get upgrade
> > * *Reading package lists... Done
> > * *Building dependency tree
> > * *Reading state information... Done
> > * *The following packages have been kept back:
> > * * *linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
> > * *0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
> >
> > Why won't it upgrade it?
> >

> Try using dist-upgrade instead.

Thanks, Dotan. That worked. What caused it to not upgrade?

I have three machines that are all identical, but one would not
upgrade. Do you know what caused it?

Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?

Thanks,

John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Matthias Andersson

On 12/01/2010 10:00 AM, John Conover wrote:
> Dotan Cohen writes:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 09:14, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What does the following apt-get response mean?
>>>
>>> root@mymachine:/ 520# apt-get upgrade
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>> linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
>>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>>>
>>> Why won't it upgrade it?

In synaptic you need to check for that those packages aren't locked to a
specific version, you should see if this is the case by pressing
"status" in the lower left corner and then selecting "pinned" in the
left window.

If those items are listed there then select them and from the top panel
choose package, remove the checkmark from "lock version".

Cheers,
Matthias

Old 12-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Jordon Bedwell

On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:00 AM, John Conover wrote:

> Dotan Cohen writes:
>> On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 09:14, John Conover <conover@rahul.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> What does the following apt-get response mean?
>>>
>>> root@mymachine:/ 520# apt-get upgrade
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>> linux-generic linux-headers-generic linux-image-generic
>>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
>>>
>>> Why won't it upgrade it?
>>>

>> Try using dist-upgrade instead.
>>

> Thanks, Dotan. That worked. What caused it to not upgrade?
>
> I have three machines that are all identical, but one would not
> upgrade. Do you know what caused it?
>
> Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?

Nothing to do with you or Ubuntu really. It's more of a need be. Most system administrators don't like to do major release upgrades without testing. So dist-upgrade does things like point-releases, major releases and kernels whereas upgrade does normal and normal system software. When you see that simply run dist-upgrade and upgrade your system, otherwise a normal upgrade is fine because there are no major system updates.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:07 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 01.12.2010, 00:00 -0800 schrieb John Conover:
> > > Why won't it upgrade it?

because it either needs to remove installed packages or install
additional packages you dont have yet.

> > Try using dist-upgrade instead.
> >

> Thanks, Dotan. That worked. What caused it to not upgrade?
>
> I have three machines that are all identical, but one would not
> upgrade. Do you know what caused it?
>
> Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?
that depends what you want, while apt-get upgrade will only upgrade
packages that are already existing, dist-upgrade will install additional
dependencies or remove packages that are not needed anymore (i.e. a
package conflict that a new package introduces requires removal of an
existing package)

this is the only difference between the two, i would suggest to always
go with upgrade and only if that blocks on something, inspect what
blocks, decide if you want it and run dist-upgrade instead ...

in the GUI update-manager will show a popup that tells you it will do a
system upgrade (instead of the normal operation where it just updates
the listed packages)

unlike others suggest in this thread dist-upgrade has *nothing* to do
with an upgrade to a new ubuntu release unless you changed additional
components (i.e bumped your sources.list etc), it will only do the
above. you can safely use it to keep your current release up to date
(but as i said, i'D always try an upgrade first ... and on a sidenote i
would use the GUI if you dont run a server, it gets you a better
overview of what is or has to be done)

ciao
oli

Old 12-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Angus MacGyver

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 05:30 -0600, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On Dec 1, 2010, at 2:00 AM, John Conover wrote:

> > Should "dist-upgrade" be used, always, instead of just "upgrade"?

Normal desktop - use the GUI.

Server, or what I would describe as "workstation" machine, then it
depends.

Application upgrades fine, kernel..

> Nothing to do with you or Ubuntu really. It's more of a need be. Most system administrators don't like to do major release upgrades without testing.
> So dist-upgrade does things like point-releases, major releases and kernels whereas upgrade does normal and normal system software.
> When you see that simply run dist-upgrade and upgrade your system, otherwise a normal upgrade is fine because there are no major system updates.

OH soooooo very true...

I will happily let an apache patch get installed with an "upgrade"
whilst I am logged on remotely..

kernel patch... I am *way* more twitchy about, especially remotely.
To apply a kernel patch (i.e. install and switch to running the new
kernel) ... now that needs a reboot.

Over the years I've had the odd kernel crap out on me after reboot for
one reason or another - and if there is no-one physically near the
machine, this can be more than inconvenient. (assuming here no remote
console - which is true in some of my cases)

So the two ways give me, as an administrator, powerful options..

--
AM

Old 12-01-2010, 11:03 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:10:31AM +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

..........snip...........

> In synaptic you need to check for that those packages aren't locked to a
> specific version, you should see if this is the case by pressing
> "status" in the lower left corner and then selecting "pinned" in the
> left window.

On my system (10.04.1) the status button does not show a pinned choice.
Can this be because I don't have any pinned apps?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 12-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Colin Law

On 2 December 2010 00:03, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:10:31AM +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:
>
> * * * * * * *..........snip...........
>

>> In synaptic you need to check for that those packages aren't locked to a
>> specific version, you should see if this is the case by pressing
>> "status" in the lower left corner and then selecting "pinned" in the
>> left window.
>
> On my system (10.04.1) the status button does not show a pinned choice.
> Can this be because I don't have any pinned apps?

You could try temporarily pinning one and see.

Colin

Old 12-02-2010, 03:36 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 09:24:18 +0000
Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On 2 December 2010 00:03, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 01, 2010 at 11:10:31AM +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:
> >
> > * * * * * * *..........snip...........
> >

> >> In synaptic you need to check for that those packages aren't
> >> locked to a specific version, you should see if this is the case
> >> by pressing "status" in the lower left corner and then selecting
> >> "pinned" in the left window.
> >
> > On my system (10.04.1) the status button does not show a pinned
> > choice. Can this be because I don't have any pinned apps?
>
> You could try temporarily pinning one and see.
>
> Colin

Pinned apps never showed up in synaptic for me until I pinned one. I'd
guess that behavior to be standard.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Theory is when you know something, but it doesn't work. Practice is
when something works, but you don't know why. Programmers combine