Old 12-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Albert Wagner

Default Today's upgrade screwed up my places menu

Today's upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (Included Linux Kernel 2.6.35-23
generic) went a little crazy on my machine. Now, when I click on Home
Folder, Desktop, Documents, etc. instead of a copy of Nautilus, I get
Appearance Preferences overlaid with an error message:

[item from Places menu] does not appear to be a valid theme.

For example: "Desktop" does not appear to be a valid theme.

Who needs to know about this?

Old 12-01-2010, 02:49 PM
Albert Wagner

On 11/30/2010 10:00 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> Today's upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (Included Linux Kernel 2.6.35-23
> generic) went a little crazy on my machine. Now, when I click on Home
> Folder, Desktop, Documents, etc. instead of a copy of Nautilus, I get
> Appearance Preferences overlaid with an error message:
>
> [item from Places menu] does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> For example: "Desktop" does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> Who needs to know about this?

I finally found how to fix this.
1) drag an item from the Panel menu onto the desktop so that it can be
examined.
2) It is set to open with Theme Installer
3) Change the 'open with' to file-browser

On second thought I am not sure that this was caused by the security
update or something I did inadvertently. I don't remember messing with
anything in the Panel menu, but it wouldn't be the first time that I was
simply stupid. While earning how NOT to use the touchpad on my laptop
while typing, I am overcome by unintended consequences.

Old 12-01-2010, 06:27 PM
MR ZenWiz

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Albert Wagner <albertwagner@cox.net> wrote:

> I finally found *how to fix this.
> 1) drag an item from the Panel menu onto the desktop so that it can be
> examined.
> 2) It is set to open *with Theme Installer
> 3) Change the 'open with' to file-browser
>
> On second thought I am not sure that this was caused by the security
> update or something I did inadvertently. *I don't remember messing with
> anything in the Panel menu, but it wouldn't be the first time that I was
> simply stupid. *While earning how NOT to use the touchpad on my laptop
> while typing, I am overcome by unintended consequences.

I have grown to hate touchpads for this very reason. It's just too
easy for my thumb to slip down and touch the pad, hijacking the cursor
to the wrong place for the wrong thing.

"Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by
stupidity." (or touchpads... :-)
- Hanlon's Razor, annotated by me

Old 12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Basil Chupin

On 12/01/2010 03:00 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
> Today's upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit (Included Linux Kernel 2.6.35-23
> generic) went a little crazy on my machine. Now, when I click on Home
> Folder, Desktop, Documents, etc. instead of a copy of Nautilus, I get
> Appearance Preferences overlaid with an error message:
>
> [item from Places menu] does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> For example: "Desktop" does not appear to be a valid theme.
>
> Who needs to know about this?

From the innumerable responses you have received so far, it would appear
the answer is: nobody.

(You would probably get a response if you gave the impression that you
were "bitching" about the problem :-( .)

BC

--
Attorney: Are you qualified to give a urine sample?
Witness: Are you qualified to ask that question?