Old 11-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Rafiq Hajat

Default Corrupt display after upgrade to Lucid

Hi folks,
I took the daring step of upgrading karmic on my laptop to lucid and
now get a garbled screen that's impossible to read. I thing it's an
XORG issue - maybe the resolution? Suffice to say, it is infuriating
because most of my work is on this damned machine and I'm totally
stuck. Please help if possible.
Thanks
Rafiq Hajat
Executive Director
Institute for Policy Interaction,
P. O. Box E14, Post Dot Net,
Blantyre - Malawi
Cell: +265 999 968 800
www.ipimalawi.org

Old 11-30-2010, 11:17 PM
Mark

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 4:02 PM, Rafiq Hajat <ipi.malawi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I took the daring step of upgrading karmic on my laptop to lucid and
> now get a garbled screen that's impossible to read. I thing it's an
> XORG *issue - maybe the resolution? Suffice to say, it is infuriating
> because most of my work is on this damned machine and I'm totally
> stuck. Please help if possible.
> Thanks

With this little detail, it sounds like the video card and/or monitor
specs in your xorg.conf file are wrong - refresh rate ranges or
resolution settings maybe.

You can try mucking with the xorg.conf file if you have any clue what
you're doing, but it can be tricky if you've never done it before.
You can also try renaming the file to something else and see if the
system will create a working default one for you (and if it creates
one that doesn't work, you can play with the differences to find
something that might work).

Once you have it working at all, you can try tweaking it with the
monitor preferences and display controls in the system menus.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
NoOp

On 11/30/2010 04:02 PM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
> Hi folks,
> I took the daring step of upgrading karmic on my laptop to lucid and
> now get a garbled screen that's impossible to read. I thing it's an
> XORG issue - maybe the resolution? Suffice to say, it is infuriating
> because most of my work is on this damned machine and I'm totally
> stuck. Please help if possible.
> Thanks

Well Rafiq, you know the drill as you've been here for some time...
What's infuriating is that you post this expecting everyone on the list
to automagically look into their crystal ball and extract the details of
your laptop.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:15 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Old 12-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Patton Echols

On 12/01/2010 08:15 AM, Boggess Rod wrote:
> Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 07:41:04 -0800
> From: NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Corrupt display after upgrade to Lucid
> To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On 11/30/2010 04:02 PM, Rafiq Hajat wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I took the daring step of upgrading karmic on my laptop to lucid and
>> now get a garbled screen that's impossible to read. I thing it's an
>> XORG issue - maybe the resolution? Suffice to say, it is infuriating
>> because most of my work is on this damned machine and I'm totally
>> stuck. Please help if possible.
>> Thanks
>>

> Well Rafiq, you know the drill as you've been here for some time...
> What's infuriating is that you post this expecting everyone on the list
> to automagically look into their crystal ball and extract the details of
> your laptop.

> Crap! You have a crystal ball that can look into my laptop. <Struggles
> violently to close all the porno images open.>

Don't bother, NoOp knows his way around a CLI, he'll just issue "$
crystalball -l boggess" to extract your browser cache. There's nothing
you can do! <Bwahahaa!>