Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 AM
Tapas Mishra

Default Solved: how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
> I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
> and got a black screen.
> Upto here it is all correct.
> I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui which is on
> Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.
>
> For other desktops the key combinations would not include the Fn key above
>
> So I used startx :2
> startx -- :2
> startx -:2
> and various other possibilities.
> But each time it failed.
> I searched it
> http://www.google.com/search?q=more+than+one+gui+startx+lucid&btnG=Searc h&hl=en&sa=2
> but I have not got any useful results out of it.
> Can any one let me know what is the hack for doing above.

Ok this is solved I had to add sudo to startx and now it works.

Old 11-30-2010, 12:44 PM
Alan Pope

On 30 November 2010 08:55, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok this is solved I had to add sudo to startx and now it works.

Erk, that doesn't sound wise. X and all your apps running as root.

Al.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:30 PM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 7:14 PM, Alan Pope <popey@ubuntu.com> wrote:
> On 30 November 2010 08:55, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ok this is solved I had to add sudo to startx and now it works.
>
> Erk, that doesn't sound wise. X and all your apps running as root.

But without doing sudo it did not worked also.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:58 PM
Alan Pope

On 30 November 2010 14:30, Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> But without doing sudo it did not worked also.

That doesn't make using sudo right, it just means you've bypassed the
"problem diagnosis" stage and gone directly to the "hit it with a
hammer" stage.

I expect (but this is wild guesswork because you didn't provide any
logs at all of the startx) that the issue is because your user already
has an x session running. It's kinda unwise to have two x sessions
under the same account, modifying the same files. Traditionally most
people will have only one X session, a second one would be run as
another person (another family member for example) on a different tty.

Al.