Old 11-30-2010, 06:50 AM
"Robert P. J. Day"

Default is there a set of "creating ubuntu packages" guidelines?

some colleagues want to take what has been a zip file all this time
and turn it into a proper ubuntu .deb package. are there guidelines
for how one does that *properly*? as in, best practices? thanks.

i may have more specific questions shortly.

rday

http://crashcourse.ca

Twitter: http://twitter.com/rpjday

Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Markus Schönhaber

30.11.2010 08:50, Robert P. J. Day:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment

--
Regards
mks

Old 11-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Bhavani Shankar R

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:

> *some colleagues want to take what has been a zip file all this time
> and turn it into a proper ubuntu .deb package. *are there guidelines
> for how one does that *properly*? *as in, best practices? *thanks.
>
> *i may have more specific questions shortly.

hello robert,

you can have a look at the ubuntu packaging guide for a head start

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete

regards

--
Bhavani Shankar.R
https://launchpad.net/~bhavi, a proud ubuntu community developer.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:28 PM

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 07:50:30PM +0530, Bhavani Shankar R wrote:
> you can have a look at the ubuntu packaging guide for a head start
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/Complete

That's a good starting place.

You'll find there's a fair amount of trivia involved.

Sometimes you'll find things in guides specifically for python packages
(for example) or in the debian .deb docs that aren't in that.

You can email me off-list (travis @ the obvious place) if you have
specific questions.

Once you have a .deb, you'll generally want a repo to make it easy
to get/install. I'm investigating options, and reprepro looks like
a good tool so far.
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.
If you are a spammer, please email john@subspacefield.org to get blacklisted.