Old 11-30-2010, 05:31 AM
Bond

Default how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
<cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:24:18 +0530
> Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
>> I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
>> and got a black screen.
>> Upto here it is all correct.
>> I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui which
>> is on Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.
>
> I don't think that the Fn key is necessary there.

He is not asking about function key.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:43 AM
Nils Kassube

Bond wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
>
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:24:18 +0530
> >
> > Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
> >> I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
> >> and got a black screen.
> >> Upto here it is all correct.
> >> I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui
> >> which is on Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.
> >
> > I don't think that the Fn key is necessary there.
>
> He is not asking about function key.

True, but he is using it anyway according to the quoted text. Maybe that
was the problem why the commands didn't work?

Nils

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Tapas Mishra

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:

> True, but he is using it anyway according to the quoted text. Maybe that
> was the problem why the commands didn't work?

That is a hardware setting on most Dell Laptops for F1 or F2 or Fn
keys to behave as a function key you need to also press a separate key
which is at left hand side of Space bar so I get to see a black
colored screen which is the virtual console. I want to run 2 or more X
servers for same users at different virtual consoles.
That is the question.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:26 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:01:07 +0530
Bond <jamesbond.2k.g@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:20 AM, Cybe R. Wizard
> <cyber_wizard@mindspring.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:24:18 +0530
> > Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
> >> I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
> >> and got a black screen.
> >> Upto here it is all correct.
> >> I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui
> >> which is on Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.
> >
> > I don't think that the Fn key is necessary there.
>
> He is not asking about function key.

Nor was the actual content of my message about the function key.
I really offered a way to log on with two different desktops but you've
conveniently snipped that.

Thanks for your dubious input, though!

Cybe R. Wizard
Winduhs

Old 11-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Nils Kassube

Tapas Mishra wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:13 PM, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net>
wrote:
> > True, but he is using it anyway according to the quoted text. Maybe
> > that was the problem why the commands didn't work?
>
> That is a hardware setting on most Dell Laptops for F1 or F2 or Fn
> keys to behave as a function key you need to also press a separate
> key

Ah, I didn't know or expect that. The laptops I have seen so far all had
at least the usual F1 to F10 keys. Only direct access to F11 / F12 was
missing on one machine.

> which is at left hand side of Space bar so I get to see a black
> colored screen which is the virtual console. I want to run 2 or more
> X servers for same users at different virtual consoles.

Well, the command

startx -- :1

works for me. I also tried with :2 for a third X session. And I don't
need sudo like you mentioned in that other message. But as that didn't
work for you, I think I can't help here.

Nils