-   -   how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/459275-how-have-more-than-one-gnome-desktop-various-ttys.html)

Tapas Mishra 11-30-2010 03:54 AM

how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's

I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
and got a black screen.
Upto here it is all correct.
I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui which is on
Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.

For other desktops the key combinations would not include the Fn key above

So I used startx :2
startx -- :2
startx -:2
and various other possibilities.
But each time it failed.
I searched it
http://www.google.com/search?q=more+than+one+gui+startx+lucid&btnG=Searc h&hl=en&sa=2
but I have not got any useful results out of it.
Can any one let me know what is the hack for doing above.

"Cybe R. Wizard" 11-30-2010 04:50 AM

how to have more than one Gnome desktop on various tty's

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:24:18 +0530
Tapas Mishra <mightydreams@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having a Dell Laptop and most of the time I would be in GUI.
> I switched to another console via pressing Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F3
> and got a black screen.
> Upto here it is all correct.
> I want to have here a gui running and at the same time the gui which
> is on Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F7 also keep running.

I don't think that the Fn key is necessary there.
Try this:
choose, "Log Out <username>," from the System menu. When the dialog
box opens choose to switch user.
Sign in as /another/ user as the same user doesn't get to use two
logins in GNOME.

On my box the original user will be on F8 and the new user on F9.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Yesterday upon the stair
I saw a man who wasn't there.