FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-29-2010, 06:47 PM
NoOp
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On 11/29/2010 07:59 AM, Rashkae wrote:
...
> support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
> example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
> don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)

Which 6100 version?
<ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.21/README/supportedchips.html>
GeForce 6100 0x0242
GeForce Go 6100 0x0247

<ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.19/README/appendix-a.html>
GeForce 6100 0x0242




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-29-2010, 07:11 PM
Rashkae
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On 10-11-29 11:42 AM, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> Hi Rashke,
>
> Am 2010-11-29 16:59, schrieb Rashkae:
>
>> On 10-11-29 09:34 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
>>
> [snip - question on video cards]
>
>
>> On the other hand, if you want to experiment with gaming, either through
>> Wine or native linux games, and possibly high end 3D modeling (I've
>> never tested performance with Blender and open source drivers) then
>> Nividia is still the only good choice, with Binary drivers. They
>> generally work and Nivdia supports them well, at least, for a while.
>> Older cards get the cold shoulder from Nvidia, and with no Open source
>> support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
>> example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
>> don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)
>>
>>
> Did you check out the recent "nouveau" driver which ships with recent
> ubuntu versions. It supports quite a lot of nvidia cards. It is the
> standard open source nvidia driver of ubuntu since 10.04. I used them on
> another machine with a nvidia driver and the worked better than the
> proprietary ones (although no 3d acceleration).
>
> Maybe you can reactivate your notebooks.
>
>

All I get with newer Ubuntu installs is a screen of multi-colored
snow.... I'm sure there are all kinds of troubleshooting techniques I
could try to get to the bottom of it, but for a time/money solution,
replacing them with $350 acers from Staples was the quick and efficient fix.



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-30-2010, 06:17 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 11:47 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 07:59 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> ...
> > support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
> > example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
> > don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)
>
> Which 6100 version?
> <ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.21/README/supportedchips.html>
> GeForce 6100 0x0242
> GeForce Go 6100 0x0247
>
> <ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.19/README/appendix-a.html>
> GeForce 6100 0x0242

I have an older 5500 nVidia card on one machine that blows and
goes ...with 3D graphics, using the nVidia driver, thank you. We're
becoming A 3D world online so I don't see how Nouveau is worth a damn
until it does acceleration and 3D. You might as well jam an old Voodoo
card in and run SVGA mode.

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-30-2010, 06:31 AM
"Jonathan Dlouhy"
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

-----Original Message-----
From: Ric Moore
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2010 2:17 AM
To: Ubuntu user technical support,not for general discussions
Subject: Re: Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Mon, 2010-11-29 at 11:47 -0800, NoOp wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 07:59 AM, Rashkae wrote:
> ...
> > support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
> > example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
> > don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)
>
> Which 6100 version?
> <ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/260.19.21/README/supportedchips.html>
> GeForce 6100 0x0242
> GeForce Go 6100 0x0247
>
> <ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/96.43.19/README/appendix-a.html>
> GeForce 6100 0x0242

I have an older 5500 nVidia card on one machine that blows and
goes ...with 3D graphics, using the nVidia driver, thank you. We're
becoming A 3D world online so I don't see how Nouveau is worth a damn
until it does acceleration and 3D. You might as well jam an old Voodoo
card in and run SVGA mode.

--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256

I second the motion. I'm on my second PC with an nvidia 6200 and I can run
all the fancy graphics and so on with no problem, and no noise. -

--
Jonathan Dlouhy
--------------------------
"Will the highways of the Internet
become more few?"- George W. Bush

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Brian
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Tue 30 Nov 2010 at 02:17:35 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> I have an older 5500 nVidia card on one machine that blows and
> goes ...with 3D graphics, using the nVidia driver, thank you. We're
> becoming A 3D world online so I don't see how Nouveau is worth a damn
> until it does acceleration and 3D. You might as well jam an old Voodoo
> card in and run SVGA mode.

Any 3D online experiences you could direct me to? I'd like to know what
I'm missing.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 11-30-2010, 07:46 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

Heads it's an ATI, tails it's an nVidia.

Heads came up.

It's off the original topic of my thread, but, I'm going for an Asus
motherboard because
a) The Asus board in this PC has been working perfectly for over 3 years
(as it damn well should be but I have another one from a well known
manufacturer of microprocessors that started going wrong in a shorter
period than this)
b) Asus is apparently using superior capacitors. I've seen tales of woe
about electrolytics going pop on motherboards. Not had it happen to me
yet but if I can take precautions I will.

So, ebuyer has an Asus manufactured HD 4350 silent, PCI-e 2 which I'm
putting on my order.

There is a GeForce 6200 board available but I'd prefer to stick with
Asus and maybe get the same quality level as the motherboard.



Thanks, everybody, for all your trouble and your advice.

Dave



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 13:04 +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Tue 30 Nov 2010 at 02:17:35 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > I have an older 5500 nVidia card on one machine that blows and
> > goes ...with 3D graphics, using the nVidia driver, thank you. We're
> > becoming A 3D world online so I don't see how Nouveau is worth a damn
> > until it does acceleration and 3D. You might as well jam an old Voodoo
> > card in and run SVGA mode.
>
> Any 3D online experiences you could direct me to? I'd like to know what
> I'm missing.

Sure! SecondLife, OpenSim, Open-Wonderland just for starts. Then there
are the games online like WarCraft and a score more. All require
accelerated graphics to handle the 3D. The web is working on a 3D
standard as well, for browsers. The best games under Linux require
accelerated graphics. You evidently don't task your graphic card. Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Brian
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Wed 01 Dec 2010 at 13:56:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:

> Sure! SecondLife, OpenSim, Open-Wonderland just for starts. Then there
> are the games online like WarCraft and a score more. All require
> accelerated graphics to handle the 3D. The web is working on a 3D
> standard as well, for browsers. The best games under Linux require
> accelerated graphics.

Thanks for enlightening me. Games over the internet have never been one
of my activities so what you were alluding to didn't impact on me. I can
now understand what you were getting at.

> You evidently don't task your graphic card. Ric

I live in a 2D world, like the majority of people; nouveau and the
GeForce Fx 5200 handle the task well.

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Ric Moore
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 19:58 +0000, Brian wrote:
> On Wed 01 Dec 2010 at 13:56:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > Sure! SecondLife, OpenSim, Open-Wonderland just for starts. Then there
> > are the games online like WarCraft and a score more. All require
> > accelerated graphics to handle the 3D. The web is working on a 3D
> > standard as well, for browsers. The best games under Linux require
> > accelerated graphics.
>
> Thanks for enlightening me. Games over the internet have never been one
> of my activities so what you were alluding to didn't impact on me. I can
> now understand what you were getting at.
>
> > You evidently don't task your graphic card. Ric
>
> I live in a 2D world, like the majority of people; nouveau and the
> GeForce Fx 5200 handle the task well.

I had a G-force FX-5200 that handled acceleration and 3D pretty well,
with the correct nVidia driver. I gave it to a friend, who this card was
a step up from what they had! Ric


--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
Linux user# 44256


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 12-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Jordon Bedwell
 
Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

On Dec 1, 2010, at 4:46 PM, Ric Moore wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-12-01 at 19:58 +0000, Brian wrote:
>> On Wed 01 Dec 2010 at 13:56:56 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
>>
>>> Sure! SecondLife, OpenSim, Open-Wonderland just for starts. Then there
>>> are the games online like WarCraft and a score more. All require
>>> accelerated graphics to handle the 3D. The web is working on a 3D
>>> standard as well, for browsers. The best games under Linux require
>>> accelerated graphics.
>>
>> Thanks for enlightening me. Games over the internet have never been one
>> of my activities so what you were alluding to didn't impact on me. I can
>> now understand what you were getting at.
>>
>>> You evidently don't task your graphic card. Ric
>>
>> I live in a 2D world, like the majority of people; nouveau and the
>> GeForce Fx 5200 handle the task well.
>
> I had a G-force FX-5200 that handled acceleration and 3D pretty well,
> with the correct nVidia driver. I gave it to a friend, who this card was
> a step up from what they had! Ric

We use the 4870 in all of our Linux boxes because they work perfectly and silently with the opensource driver they also run silent and well with FGLRX but there is a colour calibration issue with FGLRX which I have noted in a bug before. Right now the 4870 runs for $87 because it's going out of stock quickly as they are being pushed out for the newer cards but it's not a dead card, it's able to run most anything on ultra ultra.
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:52 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org