Old 11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
David Fletcher

Default Silent inexpensive graphics cards

For a new build for my son, I think I have my choice of motherboard. But
which graphics card to go for? The thread subject states what I need and
I don't particularly care whether it has an nVidia or ATI chip so long
as it works properly.

As far as I can tell, the current choice is
a) ATI Radeon HD 4350
b) nVidia GeForce 210 or GeForce 8400GS

This approx. 3 years old PC has an nVidia card installed for which I
paid about GBP20. lspci produces
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE]
(rev a1)

It has never given me any problems at all. When I recently installed
Maveric the installer offered to install proprietary drivers. I accepted
and it "Just Works".

As far as I know ATI chips are now getting open source drivers so of
course it would be nice to use them but I can't confirm with Google
searches that the HD 4350 chips play nicely with Maveric.

So can anybody please tell me of their experiences with these? Which, if
any, "Just Work" properly with either open source or proprietary
drivers?

Dave

Old 11-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Rashkae

On 10-11-29 09:34 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> For a new build for my son, I think I have my choice of motherboard. But
> which graphics card to go for? The thread subject states what I need and
> I don't particularly care whether it has an nVidia or ATI chip so long
> as it works properly.
>
> As far as I can tell, the current choice is
> a) ATI Radeon HD 4350
> b) nVidia GeForce 210 or GeForce 8400GS
>
> This approx. 3 years old PC has an nVidia card installed for which I
> paid about GBP20. lspci produces
> VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE]
> (rev a1)
>
> It has never given me any problems at all. When I recently installed
> Maveric the installer offered to install proprietary drivers. I accepted
> and it "Just Works".
>
> As far as I know ATI chips are now getting open source drivers so of
> course it would be nice to use them but I can't confirm with Google
> searches that the HD 4350 chips play nicely with Maveric.

The ATI works and plays nice very very well with Open Source Drivers.
However, the ATI binary drivers are very very crappy, and I say, best
avoided. Unfortunately, this makes the answer to your question more
complex.

If you want a 3D desktop that works out of the box with good Video
support (ie, movies, and what not), Go with the ATI. Personally, for
the cost effetiveness, I buy Mobo's with an ATI G chipset. Works great,
either way.

On the other hand, if you want to experiment with gaming, either through
Wine or native linux games, and possibly high end 3D modeling (I've
never tested performance with Blender and open source drivers) then
Nividia is still the only good choice, with Binary drivers. They
generally work and Nivdia supports them well, at least, for a while.
Older cards get the cold shoulder from Nvidia, and with no Open source
support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)

Old 11-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi Rashke,

Am 2010-11-29 16:59, schrieb Rashkae:
> On 10-11-29 09:34 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
[snip - question on video cards]

> On the other hand, if you want to experiment with gaming, either through
> Wine or native linux games, and possibly high end 3D modeling (I've
> never tested performance with Blender and open source drivers) then
> Nividia is still the only good choice, with Binary drivers. They
> generally work and Nivdia supports them well, at least, for a while.
> Older cards get the cold shoulder from Nvidia, and with no Open source
> support, eventually become problematic. (I have 2 notebooks, for
> example, with 6100 mobile GPU's that I've had to retire since they just
> don't work anymore with newer distros anymore)

Did you check out the recent "nouveau" driver which ships with recent
ubuntu versions. It supports quite a lot of nvidia cards. It is the
standard open source nvidia driver of ubuntu since 10.04. I used them on
another machine with a nvidia driver and the worked better than the
proprietary ones (although no 3d acceleration).

Maybe you can reactivate your notebooks.

But I agree with you. Up to now I am very satisfied with my Radeon 4290
integrated graphics-GPU of my Asus M4A89GTD-Pro/USB3 motherboard.
The OP should consider an integrated graphics processor, too if his son
doesn't need to play 3d-games.

Franz