Old 11-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Mark

Default Unexpected freezes in Maverick

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Carsten Agger <agger@modspil.dk> wrote:
> I'm using Maverick Meerkat on an old(-ish) MSI Megabook S271 with an old
> Radeon Xpress graphics card onboard.
>
> Recently (yesterday, or day before) the system has started freezing
> unexpectedly - no cursor movement, no reaction to hotkey combinations,
> nothing. Only pressing the power button helps.
>
> It might be the mother board getting old/doing strange things, but
> perhaps it might also be the system ...? It seems to be associated with
> high system load, especially opening programs. After a reboot I can't
> find anything suspicious in the logs.
>
> Does anyone know how I continue from here in an attempt to diagnose the
> problem? I'd really like to know if there's a kernel bug or something
> that causes the freeze, as it's causing me to lose work right now.

You might try running the System Monitor applet so you can see if that
also stops dead - might not be any help, but it might tell you that
something is just hammering your CPU as opposed to the system actually
being dead.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:55 AM
Franz Waldmüller

Hi Carsten,

Am 2010-11-29 09:23, schrieb Carsten Agger:
> I'm using Maverick Meerkat on an old(-ish) MSI Megabook S271 with an old
> Radeon Xpress graphics card onboard.
>
> Recently (yesterday, or day before) the system has started freezing
> unexpectedly - no cursor movement, no reaction to hotkey combinations,
> nothing. Only pressing the power button helps.

Do the Sys-Rq keys still work?
> It might be the mother board getting old/doing strange things, but
> perhaps it might also be the system ...? It seems to be associated with
> high system load, especially opening programs. After a reboot I can't
> find anything suspicious in the logs.
>
> Does anyone know how I continue from here in an attempt to diagnose the
> problem? I'd really like to know if there's a kernel bug or something
> that causes the freeze, as it's causing me to lose work right now.

You could try to run an older ubuntu version of which you know worked.
But if sys rq keys don't work I suspect a hardware error.

Last week I experienced freezes on a machine too and tried 4 different
kernels. Finally I discoverd that either the IDE-Port or the IDE-cable
was broken. (Attached my dvd drive to another IDE-Port and everything works)

Franz

Old 11-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Carsten Agger

On 29-11-2010 10:55, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
> You could try to run an older ubuntu version of which you know worked.
> But if sys rq keys don't work I suspect a hardware error.
>
> Last week I experienced freezes on a machine too and tried 4 different
> kernels. Finally I discoverd that either the IDE-Port or the IDE-cable
> was broken. (Attached my dvd drive to another IDE-Port and everything works)

Thanks! It may be hardware-related, but I suspect it's also something
with the new kernel. After the last freeze, I booted in the 2.6.35-22
kernel, where the default is now 2.6.35-23. Will check the sysrq
sequence if the freeze reappears.

regards,

Carsten

--
http://www.modspil.dk/

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Carsten Agger

On 29-11-2010 10:55, Franz Waldmüller wrote:
>> Does anyone know how I continue from here in an attempt to diagnose the
>> problem? I'd really like to know if there's a kernel bug or something
>> that causes the freeze, as it's causing me to lose work right now.
>>
> You could try to run an older ubuntu version of which you know worked.
> But if sys rq keys don't work I suspect a hardware error.
>
> Last week I experienced freezes on a machine too and tried 4 different
> kernels. Finally I discoverd that either the IDE-Port or the IDE-cable
> was broken. (Attached my dvd drive to another IDE-Port and everything works)

The sysrq keys do work (thanks for teaching me that trick!). Nothing
else works (short of the power button).

I suppose this means it must be software-related, somehow. Does anyone
know what I can do to diagnose it?

br
Carsten

Old 11-29-2010, 11:57 PM
NoOp

On 11/29/2010 12:23 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:
> I'm using Maverick Meerkat on an old(-ish) MSI Megabook S271 with an old
> Radeon Xpress graphics card onboard.
>
> Recently (yesterday, or day before) the system has started freezing
> unexpectedly - no cursor movement, no reaction to hotkey combinations,
> nothing. Only pressing the power button helps.
>
> It might be the mother board getting old/doing strange things, but
> perhaps it might also be the system ...? It seems to be associated with
> high system load, especially opening programs. After a reboot I can't
> find anything suspicious in the logs.
>
> Does anyone know how I continue from here in an attempt to diagnose the
> problem? I'd really like to know if there's a kernel bug or something
> that causes the freeze, as it's causing me to lose work right now.

My _guess_ would be video card/chipset issues. According to what I could
find, your system appears to be running an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. Can
you verify by checking:

$ sudo lshw
or
$ lspci -nnvv | grep -A1 "VGA compatible controller"

Also:

1. What video drivers are you using?
- Check System|Administration|Additional Drivers
2. Check your logs
- Check your Xorg.0.log to see if there are errors there
[/var/log/Xorg.0.log +Xorg.0.log.old]
- Check your ~/.xsession-errors
3. Check launchpad to see if there are others reporting the same:
-
<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ATI+Radeon+Xpress+1150+%2Bmaver ick>
- <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati>
[enter: maverick +freeze
in the search bar]
4. Check your bios for temp shutdown warnings/notifications. If you are
getting a cpu thermal shutdown you may not see it in Ubuntu.
5. Have a look through these for suggestions:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting
[Try turning off KMS]
6. Try running without any visual effects turned on
(System|Preferences|Appearance|Visual Effects: None

Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM
"Harry L. Lee"

try googling "ubuntu lockups". from that, it appears the problem is flash and a real solution must originate from adobe. i don't understand this. aren't there open source replacements for flash? i have actual work of my own to do before i becopme a beta tester for adobe. they gotrocks, they should have their own test group.

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/29/2010 12:23 AM, Carsten Agger wrote:

> I'm using Maverick Meerkat on an old(-ish) MSI Megabook S271 with an old

> Radeon Xpress graphics card onboard.

> Recently (yesterday, or day before) the system has started freezing

> unexpectedly - no cursor movement, no reaction to hotkey combinations,

> nothing. Only pressing the power button helps.

> It might be the mother board getting old/doing strange things, but

> perhaps it might also be the system ...? It seems to be associated with

> high system load, especially opening programs. After a reboot I can't

> find anything suspicious in the logs.

> Does anyone know how I continue from here in an attempt to diagnose the

> problem? I'd really like to know if there's a kernel bug or something

> that causes the freeze, as it's causing me to lose work right now.

My _guess_ would be video card/chipset issues. According to what I could

find, your system appears to be running an ATI Radeon Xpress 1150. Can

you verify by checking:

$ sudo lshw

or

$ lspci -nnvv | grep -A1 "VGA compatible controller"

Also:

1. What video drivers are you using?

- Check System|Administration|Additional Drivers

2. Check your logs

- Check your Xorg.0.log to see if there are errors there

[/var/log/Xorg.0.log +Xorg.0.log.old]

- Check your ~/.xsession-errors

3. Check launchpad to see if there are others reporting the same:

-

<https://launchpad.net/+search?field.text=ATI+Radeon+Xpress+1150+%2Bmaver ick>

- <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati>

[enter: maverick +freeze

in the search bar]

4. Check your bios for temp shutdown warnings/notifications. If you are

getting a cpu thermal shutdown you may not see it in Ubuntu.

5. Have a look through these for suggestions:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Quirks

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/KernelModeSetting

[Try turning off KMS]

6. Try running without any visual effects turned on

(System|Preferences|Appearance|Visual Effects: None

harry@jonesnose.com
Harry L Lee (via gmail)
chief cook and bottle washer
http://jonesnose.com

mailto:harry@jonesnose.com
207-384-8030 (email preferred)

Old 12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Franz Waldmüller

hi harry,

Am 2010-11-30 03:00, schrieb Harry L. Lee:
> try googling "ubuntu lockups". from that, it appears the problem is flash
> and a real solution must originate from adobe. i don't understand this.
> aren't there open source replacements for flash?
Do you know gnash?
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=gnash

i have actual work of my
> own to do before i becopme a beta tester for adobe. they gotrocks, they
> should have their own test group.
> On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM, NoOp<glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

[snip]
wish you luck