Old 11-29-2010, 12:36 AM
Sandy Harris

Default Diagnosis: is this machine broken?

i have a machine -- Atom 1.6 GHz, single core but hyperthreaded, Intel board
and 2 gigs RAM (the maximum supported). A while ago it began giving many
errors, all disk-related, so I replaced the disk.

Now it mostly runs fine and Checkbox (the tester on the Ubuntu system
menus) reports all OK, but there are three worrying items. When I try
memtest x86+ off the boot menu, it fails with a message about
"insufficient low memory". At boot time, there are many error messages
from udevd along the lines of "worker failed to respond". Finally, the
drscheme application is horrendously slow; menus take several
seconds to open.

I wonder if there might be some motherboard or RAM fault that caused
the earlier disk corruption. If so, replacing the disk will not have fixed it
and problems are likely to recur. This is worrying.

What is my next step in diagnosis here?

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Basil Chupin

On 29/11/2010 12:36, Sandy Harris wrote:
> i have a machine -- Atom 1.6 GHz, single core but hyperthreaded, Intel board
> and 2 gigs RAM (the maximum supported). A while ago it began giving many
> errors, all disk-related, so I replaced the disk.
>
> Now it mostly runs fine and Checkbox (the tester on the Ubuntu system
> menus) reports all OK, but there are three worrying items. When I try
> memtest x86+ off the boot menu, it fails with a message about
> "insufficient low memory". At boot time, there are many error messages
> from udevd along the lines of "worker failed to respond". Finally, the
> drscheme application is horrendously slow; menus take several
> seconds to open.
>
> I wonder if there might be some motherboard or RAM fault that caused
> the earlier disk corruption. If so, replacing the disk will not have fixed it
> and problems are likely to recur. This is worrying.
>
> What is my next step in diagnosis here?

Not enough information here, Sandy.

Which version of Ubuntu are you running? (meaning off which boot menu
are you running "memtest").

Instead of doing this memtest from the boot menu do it from the
installation CD. Tell us what the result are.

For my limited knowledge, I suspect that there is problem with the RAM -
"insufficient low memory".

What shows up when you check the BIOS settings? Waht does the BIOS show
as basic memory and then the rest? Do you have BIOS configured to shadow
video and whatever? How big is your "video window" (for the videos card)
set in your BIOS?

BC

--

ATTORNEY: The youngest son, the 20-year-old, how old is he?
WITNESS: He's 20, much like your IQ.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Sandy Harris

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:

> On 29/11/2010 12:36, Sandy Harris wrote:

>> i have a machine -- Atom 1.6 GHz, single core but hyperthreaded, Intel board
>> and 2 gigs RAM (the maximum supported). A while ago it began giving many
>> errors, all disk-related, so I replaced the disk.
>>
>> Now it mostly runs fine and Checkbox (the tester on the Ubuntu system
>> menus) reports all OK, but there are three worrying items. When I try
>> memtest x86+ off the boot menu, it fails with a message about
>> "insufficient low memory". At boot time, there are many error messages
>> from udevd along the lines of "worker failed to respond". Finally, the
>> drscheme application is horrendously slow; menus take several
>> seconds to open.
>>
>> I wonder if there might be some motherboard or RAM fault that caused
>> the earlier disk corruption. If so, replacing the disk will not have fixed it
>> and problems are likely to recur. This is worrying.
>>
>> What is my next step in diagnosis here?
>>

> Not enough information here, Sandy.
>
> Which version of Ubuntu are you running? (meaning off which boot menu
> are you running "memtest").

Fresh install on Maverick.

> Instead of doing this memtest from the boot menu do it from the
> installation CD. Tell us what the result are.

No CD. I think I tried it from install USB, but am not certain. Will try
that tomorrow.

> For my limited knowledge, I suspect that there is problem with the RAM -
> "insufficient low memory".

That would make sense. But how can I be sure?

> What shows up when you check the BIOS settings? Waht does the BIOS show
> as basic memory and then the rest? Do you have BIOS configured to shadow
> video and whatever? How big is your "video window" (for the videos card)
> set in your BIOS?

Machine not to hand. I did check BIOS; it was finding whole 2 gigs. No video
card, on-board Intel part. Some RAM used for video, not a lot.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Yorvyk

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:36:03 +0800
Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@gmail.com> wrote:

> i have a machine -- Atom 1.6 GHz, single core but hyperthreaded, Intel board
> and 2 gigs RAM (the maximum supported). A while ago it began giving many
> errors, all disk-related, so I replaced the disk.
>
> Now it mostly runs fine and Checkbox (the tester on the Ubuntu system
> menus) reports all OK, but there are three worrying items. When I try
> memtest x86+ off the boot menu, it fails with a message about
> "insufficient low memory". At boot time, there are many error messages
> from udevd along the lines of "worker failed to respond". Finally, the
> drscheme application is horrendously slow; menus take several
> seconds to open.
>
> I wonder if there might be some motherboard or RAM fault that caused
> the earlier disk corruption. If so, replacing the disk will not have fixed it
> and problems are likely to recur. This is worrying.
>
> What is my next step in diagnosis here?

Maybe start by just reseating everything. If you have two sticks of memory, pull one, swap them, etc. and see which stick the problem follows. If you have only one stick you’ll have to find another to try.

--
Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

http://lubuntu.net

Old 11-30-2010, 01:07 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Message: 7

Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:24:01 +0000

From: Yorvyk <yorvik.ubunto@googlemail.com>

Subject: Re: Diagnosis: is this machine broken?

To: ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

*

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 09:36:03 +0800

Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@gmail.com> wrote:

*

> i have a machine -- Atom 1.6 GHz, single core
but hyperthreaded, Intel

> board and 2 gigs RAM (the maximum supported). A
while ago it began

> giving many errors, all disk-related, so I
replaced the disk.

> Now it mostly runs fine and Checkbox (the
tester on the Ubuntu system

> menus) reports all OK, but there are three
worrying items. When I try

> memtest x86+ off the boot menu, it fails with a
message about

> "insufficient low memory". At boot
time, there are many error messages

> from udevd along the lines of "worker
failed to respond". Finally, the

> drscheme application is horrendously slow;
menus take several seconds

> to open.

> I wonder if there might be some motherboard or
RAM fault that caused

> the earlier disk corruption. If so, replacing
the disk will not have

> fixed it and problems are likely to recur. This
is worrying.

> What is my next step in diagnosis here?

Maybe start by just reseating everything.* If
you have two sticks of memory, pull one, swap them, etc. and see which stick
the problem follows.* If you have only one stick you?ll have to find
another to try.*

*

*

--

Steve Cook (Yorvyk)

*

http://lubuntu.net

*

*

*

------------------------------

*

I don't have any recommendation on how to continue
diagnostics, per se, but you could start by looking at either System Rescue CD
or Ultimate Boot CD forums. After, of course, booting and running their
diagnostic tools. I'm still learning these various tools, so I'm no help there.
But the UBCD has quite a collection of diagnostics tools available, including
various memory tests, HDD tests, BIOS info tools, etc.

*

I just killed 3 days trying to figure out how to
bypass the GParted check during the Ubuntu Install, only to find out that the
entire drive is so buggy it's black-listed in the Linux kernel (74 GB WD
Raptor). (For the curious, you can zero out the $BadClus block in NTFS using
ntfstruncate -- a very, very bad idea, but they're paying me to break this
drive, so I wanted to give it my best.)

*

I discovered while looking into these tools that you
can often recover much of the data from an otherwise dead drive using various
tools. Unfortunately, I won't even be able to use partimage now before the
drive dies, since the drive can't be mounted. I can see the device, though, so
I might be able to use the dd command. I guess I should look into that. Anyway,
if some part is dying, there should be tools galore to help you find it, and if
it's the hard drive, you might be able to use these tools to make an image
before it's dead.

*

*

*

Old 11-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Mark

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 6:07 AM, Boggess Rod <rboggess@tenovacore.com> wrote:

> I don't have any recommendation on how to continue diagnostics, per se, but
> you could start by looking at either System Rescue CD or Ultimate Boot CD
> forums. After, of course, booting and running their diagnostic tools. I'm
> still learning these various tools, so I'm no help there. But the UBCD has
> quite a collection of diagnostics tools available, including various memory
> tests, HDD tests, BIOS info tools, etc.

:
<etc>

This was an interesting post, but could you please not post in html?
This one post was about 8 times the size of a normal, plain text
piece....

Old 11-30-2010, 06:32 PM
"Boggess Rod"

Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 11:05:45 -0800
From: Mark <mhullrich@gmail.com>

<Remainder elided.>

This was an interesting post, but could you please not post in html?
This one post was about 8 times the size of a normal, plain text
piece....
------------------------------

As you can see in my post, I was unable to install Linux because the
broken drive they used to replace my dead drive is blacklisted, so I'm
limited in what I can do. ;-)

Seriously, I was struggling with email redirect and it just went through
after the fourth attempt. Not sure what all happened. If you see it
again, please give me a shout out and I'll fix it. As you can see, I'm
still trying to tame Outlook.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:35 PM
Mark

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Boggess Rod <rboggess@tenovacore.com> wrote:

> Seriously, I was struggling with email redirect and it just went through
> after the fourth attempt. Not sure what all happened. If you see it
> again, please give me a shout out and I'll fix it. As you can see, I'm
> still trying to tame Outlook.

LOL - good luck with that one! :-)