Old 02-03-2008, 03:59 AM
"Knute Johnson"

Default root password?

I installed 7.10 onto a USB jump drive and tried to create a new
user. In the process I did something bad to the sudoers file. I
can't edit it because I can't sudo. I can't login as root because I
don't know the password. What's the password for root on the live
CD?

Thanks,

--

Knute Johnson
Molon Labe...

Old 02-03-2008, 05:35 AM
Peter Loron

As far as I know, the root account is not enabled by default. Best bet is to boot up in recovery mode, and edit sudoers.

-Pete

Old 02-03-2008, 07:44 AM
Peter Garrett

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 20:59:58 -0800
"Knute Johnson" <knute@frazmtn.com> wrote:

> I installed 7.10 onto a USB jump drive and tried to create a new
> user. In the process I did something bad to the sudoers file. I
> can't edit it because I can't sudo. I can't login as root because I
> don't know the password. What's the password for root on the live
> CD?

There isn't one - just type

sudo -i

for a root prompt on the Ubuntu live CD.

However, to recover your /etc/sudoers file, you could boot in
"recovery" mode from the hard drive - this will give you a root prompt
from which you can run the command

visudo

to edit /etc/sudoers . By default on Ubuntu, visudo uses the "nano"
editor, which is not exactly what you'd expect Nano is pretty easy to
use though - type your changes, hit ctrl+x and you will be asked if you
want to save on exit. The default sudoers file looks like this ( these are
the important lines)

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL

Obviously, your desired sudo user also needs to be in the "admin" group for
that to work. If that isn't the case, just type ( as root)

adduser <yourusername> admin

Peter

--
"INX Is Not X" Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04 : http://inx.maincontent.net