Old 11-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Robert Holtzman

Default How to transfer settings from one fresh install to a ubuntu newbies install

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 01:42:43PM +0000, user1 wrote:

.............snip...........

> So my suggestion is to make it possible for a newbie to make a fresh
> install, and then to add "something" to finish the installation so the
> ubuntui is fully working without any further setup.
>
> The installation should end up with the newbie to just change username
> and pasword of his/hers own choice.
>
> This "something" should contain: Necessary repos, necessary deb packages,
> a sources.list file, a /home folder and a /etc folder?

These should be installed automatically. No?

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 11-28-2010, 05:17 PM
ms

On 28/11/10 13:42, user1 wrote:
> So my suggestion is to make it possible for a newbie to make a fresh
> install, and then to add "something" to finish the installation so the
> ubuntui is fully working without any further setup.

That's exactly what Ubuntu developers are for, I guess. Making Linux
accessible and easy is the main purpose of the distribution.

In fact, "Ubuntu fully working without any further setup" is what
already happens in a majority of cases, I'd say. If Mint does it better,
well, let's take some ideas from them

Then, no OS is ever "fully working without any further setup": everyone
usually customizes it to their needs. And the link you provide doesn't
really talk about fresh installs, but talks about transferring settings
to a new install.

> The installation should end up with the newbie to just change username
> and pasword of his/hers own choice.

And... isn't it what happens already?

> This "something" should contain: Necessary repos, necessary deb packages,
> a sources.list file, a /home folder and a /etc folder?

Ehm. These are already all ready when you install Ubuntu, obviously.

--
Massimo Sandal, Ph.D.
http://devicerandom.org

Old 11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
user1

> These should be installed automatically. No?

Probably after the basic install the newbie gets a suggestion to go
somewhere else to get his personal setup?

Probably a wizard where he/she gets the choices between let's say some
gnome, kde or netbook setups with all necessary extra programs?

During this wizard he also has to acknowledge the necessary proprietary
requests with "I accept" - or something alike.

Then he/she should end up with a fully working distribution so she/he can
play his videos, flash stuff, radio, music, sound, working with images
etc - ALL such things a modern person uses his internet connection for.

Yes: "I had a dream"? *humor*

Old 11-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Billie Walsh

On 11/28/2010 07:42 AM, user1 wrote:
> How to transfer settings from one install to a ubuntu newbies install.
>
> I have read, that a lot of newbies who want to start using ubuntu does
> not because the initial setup after a fresh install is too difficult.
>
> Some people suggest that linux Mint is better because it does not need so
> much setup.
>
> Then my suggestion is to make setup more easy, but I am not quite sure
> about how to do it.
>
> I read following link:

> Each time I have made a fresh install I have used a lot of time and linux
> knowledge to setup my ubuntu, but a newbie will not be able to do it, and
> so ubuntu loses a lot of newbies who stays at windoze because it is too
> difficult.
>
> So my suggestion is to make it possible for a newbie to make a fresh
> install, and then to add "something" to finish the installation so the
> ubuntui is fully working without any further setup.
>
> The installation should end up with the newbie to just change username
> and pasword of his/hers own choice.
>
> This "something" should contain: Necessary repos, necessary deb packages,
> a sources.list file, a /home folder and a /etc folder?
>
> I would like to hear some suggestions about how to do this in a very easy
> to way, possible mostly automatic so all newbies would be able to do it
> with possible a few mouse clicks?
>
> This is very important to make more people able to switch to ubuntu, I
> think? :-)

I've been thinking about this for a while. I have to wonder what kind of
install your doing. Every install I've ever done required very little to
make it work. Mostly "Plug-N-Play". The only things I ever have to "set
up" are the extras that I want. Otherwise the system works
right-out-of-the-box.

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

Old 11-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Colin Law

On 28 November 2010 13:42, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> How to transfer settings from one install to a ubuntu newbies install.
>
> I have read, that a lot of newbies who want to start using ubuntu does
> not because the initial setup after a fresh install is too difficult.
>
> Some people suggest that linux Mint is better because it does not need so
> much setup.
>
> Then my suggestion is to make setup more easy, but I am not quite sure
> about how to do it.
>
> I read following link:

> Each time I have made a fresh install I have used a lot of time and linux
> knowledge to setup my ubuntu, but a newbie will not be able to do it, and
> so ubuntu loses a lot of newbies who stays at windoze because it is too
> difficult.

Could you give some examples of what you think should be setup that is
not there already, that a newby would need?

Colin

Old 11-29-2010, 01:18 AM
NoOp

On 11/28/2010 05:42 AM, user1 wrote:
> How to transfer settings from one install to a ubuntu newbies install.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReinstallingSamePackages

These instructions are a little easier:
<http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-reinstall-all-of-currently-installed-packages-in-fresh-ubuntu-install.html>
One note: this of course will not change any desktop modifications
(theme, etc). But it will allow you to ensure that the same application
packaged are installed on the "newbies" system. From there it's a simple
matter of making desktop theme, background et al adjustments.

You could of course mirror your install, but then you'd have to deal
with issues such as passwords, changes in hardware, etc.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Tom H

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 9:18 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 11/28/2010 05:42 AM, user1 wrote:
>>
>> How to transfer settings from one install to a ubuntu newbies install.
>
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReinstallingSamePackages

The Debian way is:

On the old box:
# dpkg --get-selections > selection.dpkg
# debconf-get-selections > selection.debconf

On the new box:
# apt-get update
# dselect update
# debconf-set-selections < selection.debconf
# dpkg --set-selections < selection.dpkg
# apt-get dselect-upgrade

The page referenced above mentions that information about packages
that are installed automatically is lost through its procedure.

Should you want to keep that info:

On the old box:
# aptitude -F '%p' search '?installed ?automatic' > autoinstall.dpkg

On the new box:
# aptitude markauto < autoinstall.dpkg

Old 11-29-2010, 02:41 PM
user1

>> This is very important to make more people able to switch to ubuntu, I
>> think? :-)

> I've been thinking about this for a while. I have to wonder what kind of
> install your doing. Every install I've ever done required very little to
> make it work. Mostly "Plug-N-Play". The only things I ever have to "set
> up" are the extras that I want. Otherwise the system works
> right-out-of-the-box.

This is not about me - I have encrypted 10.10 gnome/kde/netbook - now
using the netbook desktop as I find it simple to use - and I also find
ubuntu easy to use, but it has taken me a long struggle to learn?
I have been using linux the last 10 years (I am 70 years old).

I have added aprox 150 deb packages and some 6 repositories.

deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu lucid partner
deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy main universe
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security lenny/updates main
deb http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jaunty main multiverse
deb http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/repository karmic/
deb http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org lucid main

A lot of the people on this list are linux super users, but I am talking
about complete newbies, who do not even know what a shell konsole is.

I just checked, APROX 92 pct are using windows, 5 pct using mac and 1-2
pct using linux in the world.

What I am asking for is a more like click click attitude setting up
system on linux, otherwise a lot of people will stay with windoze and
that does not strengthen linux, I find?

I am not telling you, I am asking you for new ideas?