Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 PM
Francesco Stablum

Default Problem installing grub for wubi

Hello everyone,

I have been using wubi for three months since now.
Yesterday the windows bootloader got damaged and I thought that it
could have been a nice idea to replace it with grub on the /dev/sda
device.
I used a ubuntu live cd for this purpose.

Actually I managed to install grub with the following commands:

mount -o loop /media/a/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /media/u
grub-install --root-directory=/media/u/ /dev/sda

where /media/a is the mountpoint of the /dev/sda3 partition with windows.

you can read my grub.cfg file at the following page:
http://nopaste.info/10654e8d03.html

The grub.cfg file is located in the ubuntu filesystem image file that
is stored on the windows partition.

Unfortunately at boot grub looks for a device that has the uuid of the
ubuntu filesystem image.
It does not find it and fails to load the grub menu, letting me with a
"grub rescue" prompt.

How can I tell grub-install to configure grub to look into that file
image to search for grub.cfg?

Please let me know if you need other info to solve this problem.

Thank you very much for the attention,
regards,
Francesco Stablum

Old 11-29-2010, 01:52 AM
"Goh Lip"

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 01:45:30 +0800, Francesco Stablum <stablum@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have been using wubi for three months since now.
> Yesterday the windows bootloader got damaged and I thought that it
> could have been a nice idea to replace it with grub on the /dev/sda
> device.
> I used a ubuntu live cd for this purpose.
>
> Actually I managed to install grub with the following commands:
>
> mount -o loop /media/a/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /media/u
> grub-install --root-directory=/media/u/ /dev/sda
>
> where /media/a is the mountpoint of the /dev/sda3 partition with windows.
>
> you can read my grub.cfg file at the following page:
> http://nopaste.info/10654e8d03.html
>
> The grub.cfg file is located in the ubuntu filesystem image file that
> is stored on the windows partition.
>
> Unfortunately at boot grub looks for a device that has the uuid of the
> ubuntu filesystem image.
> It does not find it and fails to load the grub menu, letting me with a
> "grub rescue" prompt.
>
> How can I tell grub-install to configure grub to look into that file
> image to search for grub.cfg?
>
> Please let me know if you need other info to solve this problem.
>
> Thank you very much for the attention,
> regards,
> Francesco Stablum

Francesco, I don't use wubi, and I suspect most of us here don't also, so
I may be wrong, but I am replying you since nobody else did, and if
anybody knows what I say here is wrong, please correct me.

I don't think you can do what you're trying to do here because there is no
'real' partition for grub to point to. Wubi creates a virtual partition
within your windows partition and uses loop to that image to start ubuntu.
So you have to start up windows before you can use ubuntu.

I think most of us agree it is far better to install ubuntu than using
wubi. Hope you'll consider this.

Regards - Goh Lip

--
I used to have an open mind,
but my brains kept falling out.

Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 AM
Goh Lip

On Monday 29,November,2010 10:52 AM, Goh Lip wrote:
> Unfortunately at boot grub looks for a device that has the uuid of the
>> ubuntu filesystem image.
>> It does not find it and fails to load the grub menu, letting me with a
>> "grub rescue" prompt.

Oh, can you boot into windows now? Do you need help?

Regards - Goh Lip

--
Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.