Old 11-28-2010, 02:50 PM
Chris G

Default How to identify where messages come from on a small LAN

We have a small SoHo LAN with two Ubuntu 10.04 server machines, a backup
NAS (not running Ubuntu) and two or three desktop machines (some of
which, being laptops, come and go).

All mail from anwhere on the LAN is identified as being from the domain
zbmc.eu because it's behind a NAT router and that's the domain name as
seen from outside.

Messages to root, postmaster and other 'system' addresses on all the
machines are sent to me (chris@zbmc.eu) via settings in the /etc/aliases
file on each machine.

So far so good, it all works OK but there is one problem, it's not
always clear where a status/error mail message has come from because the
original addressee (root@serverx for example) is changed to
chris@zbmc.eu by the aliasing.

Can anyone suggest a way around this problem?

--
Chris Green

Old 11-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Tony Pursell

On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 15:50 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> We have a small SoHo LAN with two Ubuntu 10.04 server machines, a backup
> NAS (not running Ubuntu) and two or three desktop machines (some of
> which, being laptops, come and go).
>
> All mail from anwhere on the LAN is identified as being from the domain
> zbmc.eu because it's behind a NAT router and that's the domain name as
> seen from outside.
>
> Messages to root, postmaster and other 'system' addresses on all the
> machines are sent to me (chris@zbmc.eu) via settings in the /etc/aliases
> file on each machine.
>
> So far so good, it all works OK but there is one problem, it's not
> always clear where a status/error mail message has come from because the
> original addressee (root@serverx for example) is changed to
> chris@zbmc.eu by the aliasing.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way around this problem?
>
> --
> Chris Green

Have you considered aliasing to addresses like root_serverx@zbmc.eu then
configuring your mail system to forward them to you so the mail headers
will show you where they came from?

Old 11-28-2010, 04:01 PM
Chris G

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 04:47:31PM +0000, Tony Pursell wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-11-28 at 15:50 +0000, Chris G wrote:
> > We have a small SoHo LAN with two Ubuntu 10.04 server machines, a backup
> > NAS (not running Ubuntu) and two or three desktop machines (some of
> > which, being laptops, come and go).
> >
> > All mail from anwhere on the LAN is identified as being from the domain
> > zbmc.eu because it's behind a NAT router and that's the domain name as
> > seen from outside.
> >
> > Messages to root, postmaster and other 'system' addresses on all the
> > machines are sent to me (chris@zbmc.eu) via settings in the /etc/aliases
> > file on each machine.
> >
> > So far so good, it all works OK but there is one problem, it's not
> > always clear where a status/error mail message has come from because the
> > original addressee (root@serverx for example) is changed to
> > chris@zbmc.eu by the aliasing.
> >
> > Can anyone suggest a way around this problem?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green
> >

> Have you considered aliasing to addresses like root_serverx@zbmc.eu then
> configuring your mail system to forward them to you so the mail headers
> will show you where they came from?

That means setting up mailboxes for root_serverx@zbmc.eu and so on, then
forwarding them on to me but I guess it will work. I'll do some
playing.

Obviously simply forwarding from root_serverx@zbmc.eu to chris@zbmc.eu
using the aliases file ends up with the problem I already have, there's
no obvious trace of root_serverx@zbmc.eu left in the normally viewed
mail headers (OK, I can look at the full headers and see where it came
from but that's a bit of a pain).

I think I'd have to set up an actual destination for each server to send
to (i.e. an account on my system, or a mailbox at my ISP) to get to see
the root_serverx@zbmc.eu destination as the To: address.

--
Chris Green