Old 11-28-2010, 12:42 PM
user1

Default How to transfer settings from one fresh install to a ubuntu newbies install

How to transfer settings from one install to a ubuntu newbies install.

I have read, that a lot of newbies who want to start using ubuntu does
not because the initial setup after a fresh install is too difficult.

Some people suggest that linux Mint is better because it does not need so
much setup.

Then my suggestion is to make setup more easy, but I am not quite sure
about how to do it.

I read following link:

Each time I have made a fresh install I have used a lot of time and linux
knowledge to setup my ubuntu, but a newbie will not be able to do it, and
so ubuntu loses a lot of newbies who stays at windoze because it is too
difficult.

So my suggestion is to make it possible for a newbie to make a fresh
install, and then to add "something" to finish the installation so the
ubuntui is fully working without any further setup.

The installation should end up with the newbie to just change username
and pasword of his/hers own choice.

This "something" should contain: Necessary repos, necessary deb packages,
a sources.list file, a /home folder and a /etc folder?

I would like to hear some suggestions about how to do this in a very easy
to way, possible mostly automatic so all newbies would be able to do it
with possible a few mouse clicks?

This is very important to make more people able to switch to ubuntu, I
think? :-)