Old 11-28-2010, 11:52 AM
RLP

Default .djvu annotator for linux?

I have some .djvu files with good quality. If I exported them to PDFs, the function of selecting text provided by djview would be lost.

I wonder whether there are any decent djvu annotators for linux, free or commercial?

Regards,
RLP

Old 11-28-2010, 06:37 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2010 04:52 AM, RLP wrote:
> I have some .djvu files with good quality. If I exported them to
> PDFs, the function of selecting text provided by djview would be
> lost.
>
> I wonder whether there are any decent djvu annotators for linux, free
> or commercial?
>
> Regards, RLP

Export to PDF and use xjournal to annotate.

$ sudo apt-get install xjournal
[then Applications|Accesories|xjournal]
Make your annotations (use a test file to experiment first) and then:
File|Export to PDF
and save with a different PDF file name. You can then save the xjournal
file for easy modifications etc., later.

These links might be of use:
http://djvu.org/links/
http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

$ apt-cache search djvu

Old 11-29-2010, 02:18 AM
RLP

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:37:59 -0800
NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 11/28/2010 04:52 AM, RLP wrote:
>> I have some .djvu files with good quality. If I exported them to
>> PDFs, the function of selecting text provided by djview would be
>> lost.
>>
>> I wonder whether there are any decent djvu annotators for linux, free
>> or commercial?
>>
>> Regards, RLP
>>

>Export to PDF and use xjournal to annotate.

Thanks for your information, but
As I have said, exported PDF file will lose text information which is always accessible in Djview.
As a decent PDF reader or PDF annotator, I would not recommend xjournal for it can not remember the last position/page one have read. Keeping two separated file is also a trouble to maintain documents.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:52 PM
NoOp

On 11/28/2010 07:18 PM, RLP wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 11:37:59 -0800 NoOp <snipped> wrote:
>
>> On 11/28/2010 04:52 AM, RLP wrote:
>>> I have some .djvu files with good quality. If I exported them to
>>> PDFs, the function of selecting text provided by djview would be
>>> lost.
>>>
>>> I wonder whether there are any decent djvu annotators for linux,
>>> free or commercial?
>> Export to PDF and use xjournal to annotate.
>
> Thanks for your information, but As I have said, exported PDF file
> will lose text information which is always accessible in Djview. As a
> decent PDF reader or PDF annotator, I would not recommend xjournal
> for it can not remember the last position/page one have read. Keeping
> two separated file is also a trouble to maintain documents.

Understand now. djview4 supposedly has some annotation features, but
I've no experience in figuring them out. Okular has a djvu plugin and
can be used for annotations, but that seems to be even more of a kludge
than xjournal w/pdf.

If you do find an annotator outside of this thread, please let us know
what you find.

Old 11-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Matt Morgan

On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 11/28/2010 04:52 AM, RLP wrote:

> I have some .djvu files with good quality. If I exported them to

> PDFs, the function of selecting text provided by djview would be

> lost.

> I wonder whether there are any decent djvu annotators for linux, free

> or commercial?

> Regards, RLP

Export to PDF and use xjournal to annotate.

$ sudo apt-get install xjournal

[then Applications|Accesories|xjournal]

Make your annotations (use a test file to experiment first) and then:

File|Export to PDF

and save with a different PDF file name. You can then save the xjournal

file for easy modifications etc., later.

Thanks for this info, NoOp. I wish I'd known about xournal a long time ago!

BTW it appears to be "xournal" rather than "xjournal," unless it has changed recently (I'm still on Ubuntu 9.10).

Old 11-30-2010, 03:31 PM
NoOp

On 11/30/2010 07:09 AM, Matt Morgan wrote:

> BTW it appears to be "xournal" rather than "xjournal," unless it has changed
> recently (I'm still on Ubuntu 9.10).

You are of course correct... xournal, not xjournal - sorry about that :-)